Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
May 15, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #961 of 1,015
Well I guess you're about to find out how seriously Monoprice takes the 5 year warranty.

Keep us posted
I bought them as Open Box so there is no warranty but I can see on their web page, Monoprice keeps tracking of all the items I purchased and their warranty.

Has this only happened to anyone else? It looks like internal connectivity issue and usually I can fix it by squeezing the cups until next time, for now it is manageable. After tunning with EQ these headphones sounded great, not sure what to replace them with. Prices also went up a lot (I bought them less than $300) and I don't want to buy it again if there is a known quality issue with these headphones.

May 25, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #962 of 1,015
Approaching my 2 yr anniversary with the M1570, and happy to say that there is nothing to complain about, except maybe having to pay $80 for a balanced cable. No peeling anywhere on the headband or pads, no port connection issues, no driver imbalance or dead drivers. Only the monthly maintenance of cleaning the leather parts with leather cleaner / conditioner. I may have some ZMF Auteur pads on the way to try out. (Original leather pads are just fine)

Combined with the Monolith Cavalli Liquid Platinum amplifier, this combo is just killer. People mention that there's a honeymoon period with new gear, and then it fades. I still look forward to listening with this pair every day, and that feeling just doesn't fade. TY Oratory1990 for making your Harman Target EQ's for this model.

Jun 16, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #963 of 1,015
Just picked these up during the monoprice sale. $130 including tax and shipping. Open box but that's fine considering the price. Gonna test these out after work.

Jun 17, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #964 of 1,015
Let us know how they sound - you've got some HiFiman planars to bounce your opinion off of, nice!

That price for those headphones has got to be one of, if not THE best price/value deals (other than a gift, of course) on the planet, ever.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #965 of 1,015
Let us know how they sound - you've got some HiFiman planars to bounce your opinion off of, nice!

That price for those headphones has got to be one of, if not THE best price/value deals (other than a gift, of course) on the planet, ever.
I had the M1570 for a while, then later got and have kept the HE6se V2. The Hifiman is more resolving and energetic for sure, but not by a wide margin, and considering you need a nuclear power plant for the Hifiman and you need to handle it with kid gloves, I 100% understand someone being okay with giving up a sliver of resolution and energy in exchange for a very similar headphone that can sound great out of much more modest gear and can be handled normally.

Jul 6, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #967 of 1,015
just a FYI: Monoprice has the M1570 at $449
The price on these seems to be all over the place, but appear to be on a general upward trajectory since I bought mine in December.

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #968 of 1,015
These headphones are sofa king good and I am here for it.

Expansive soundstage, authoritative bass, delicious mids, nice punch and dynamism, pinpoint details ... it's enough to make a fella forget all about the 700g of dead weight straddling his head.

Screenshot_20230827-211035-181.png

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #969 of 1,015
These headphones are sofa king good and I am here for it.

Expansive soundstage, authoritative bass, delicious mids, nice punch and dynamism, pinpoint details ... it's enough to make a fella forget all about the 700g of dead weight straddling his head.

Nice you're enjoying them, what is your audio chain for them?

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #970 of 1,015
Nice you're enjoying them, what is your audio chain for them?
Deezer HiFi + Wavelet app with Oratory EQ > SMSL DO200 mkii > SMSL HO200 > balanced cable > M1570

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #972 of 1,015
Aug 31, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #973 of 1,015
The way Monoprice has been downsizing, discontinuing just about everything, and practically giving audio stuff away lately, I can't help but think they're not going to be in the audio business for a whole lot longer. I picked one up just now because I mostly regret selling my first one, and a part of me worries that this is going to be my last chance to get another new one.

Sep 5, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #974 of 1,015
Welp, I am once again an M1570-Open owner.

20230905_133057.jpg

First time I owned it, I was underwhelmed, finding it too mellow for what I wanted from a planar. Meanwhile all the talk about how exciting and engaging the Hifiman HE6se v2 is, I sold my first M1570-Open and got the Hifiman to replace it. And the HE6 is definitely super-detailed and super-engaging (given adequate power), but it's just too bass-light for me, no matter how big a bass shelf I slap onto it in EQ.

I've also come around to the idea that maybe the reason I found the M1570 too mellow the first time was more to do with my amps than the headphone itself. Back then, I had (and still have) a Liquid Platinum, which a lot of people like to pair with this headphone, and is indeed my favorite amp to pair with my favorite headphone, the E-Mu Teak. But I think it turns out I just don't like the planar-on-tubes sound, plus the particular tubes I have fitted probably contribute quite a bit to the perceived mellowness. The other amp I tried it on was the Singxer SA-1, which is very warm and musical and a great complement to a good few headphones in my collection, but... not this one.

This time around, I have a Schiit Jotunheim, a RebelAmp, and a Liquid Gold to pair with this headphone. If one of these amps doesn't do it for me, nothing will, lol

Between the HE6 being imperfect and inconvenient for me, a sense that this headphone might be discontinued soon, the recent killer sale price, and my expanded amp selection, okay fine, I'll give it a second shot. It'll be especially interesting to compare it directly to the HE6, as an owner of both simultaneously.

I also technically own the M1570-Closed, because that, too, recently had a killer discount. However, my M1570C is currently in Oratory's lab, because his EQ is extremely transformative for the Open, and the Closed could benefit from similar transformation if possible, and I was the first Closed owner to reach out to him to volunteer his unit for measurement. I'll eventually have the M1570C back, and then it'll be especially interesting to compare the HE6, the M1570-Open, and M1570-Closed.

We'll see what shakes!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back