Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Oct 30, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #976 of 1,015
do not throw away your money into chinese cables. I did a lot :frowning2:

Just recently, we have made big comparison of various cables with various headphones and turns out all chinese cables sharpen the sound in unpleasant way. Right now, I am still using one of the bad ones with my M1570, but gonna order another FAAEAL cable tomorrow. Why? It is the only cable that sounded good out of the bunch we had tested. Fortunately, they are not selling it with miniXLR connectors and that is also good thing. I would never trust any chinese XLR connectors. Personally, I use (Neutrik) Rean and they are good for sure. The best thing is to order FAAEAL cable, arrange with producer not soldering MMCX connectors and solder Rean miniXLRs yourself. It is easy, really. Their coating is rather weak, also visually not the best, so using cool nylon covers is advisable. You will spend 20-25$ and get yourself outstanding quality cable. I will compare FAAEAL with Neotech NECH-3001 and see if there is any audible difference between them.

About M1570... we also tested them against GoldPlanar GL2000s, double magnet version, but very briefly.. and there was none superiority of one over another. Many folks say lately these GL2000s are so great, blahblahblah. Tuned between HiFiMan and Audeze. Yeah, they are. Layering, soundstaging is great, but tonality and midrange not the best. Probably need some very careful amplifier matching to sound truly best. M1570 are way more universal, easy to match. After auditioning tens of headphones, I must say M1570 are reaaaally cool, especially after EQ and running them balanced. Stock they are just good, but with big weaknesses, like cramped soundstage and uneven FR.. but after EQ? These sound superb. Better than LCD-2C. On par with LCD-2 Shedua or maybe just a very little inferior, but come on, these cost double the M1570.

I use oratory1990 EQ with additional 6.5kHz -3dB to reduce "s" sibiliance which is amplified by this chinese so-called 7N single copper crystal cable. Yeah, for sure it is 7N single crystal copper. F*ckinshit, mehh.

Loving my M1570!

I have a Hiby R5ii + a Sennheiser HD650. Recently bought a Faaeal 4.4 mm balanced cable for hd 650+hiby r5ii. While it delivers more power and loudness, it does sound a bit shouty or harsh compared to single ended. I just wanna know from you if u can whether this faaeal cable is genuinely a balanced 4.4 mm cable. There are a lot of fake balanced cables and connectors out there and i read they damage amps/daps. So is this faaeal cable genuinely balanced?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #979 of 1,015
Has anyone delved into pad replacements for the leather cups? One of mine from the M1570, the reinforced piece on the lip came off, so I cannot get the pad back on. For now, I am using a pad from my M1070 set.

I suppose I could do a 3M glue ring like the Audeze. :3 IIRC Dekoni sells those.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #980 of 1,015
Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #981 of 1,015
https://aliexpress.com/item/4000279980956.html

I think these will make for a valid replacement. Compared to the stock earpads, I would say they have improved my overall experience with the M1570: comfort-wise, they will provide a better fit for the ears, whereas the stock one would make me feel some ear strain even after short listening sessions. There are also improvements in the sound performance: the inner walls of the pads are perforated and wider - thanks to the oval shape - than the original ones, resulting in an airier and wider (not dramatically, but the difference can be perceived) soundstage, plus a better textured and more realistic bass rendition, whilst retaining the good slam and impact. To put it shortly, while with the stock pads the M1570 may sound somewhat "congested" at times, with these alternative set this will not happen. Just my personal opinions of course, YMMV.
110mm size will provide the best fit (I also tried the 105mm version), as the pads will stay in place and it will be easier to swap them.

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #985 of 1,015
Dec 24, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #986 of 1,015
Let us know if the less dense foam results in spongier, more bloated bass.
I don't hear any channel imbalance or bloated bass using one new pad and one OEM pad. In fact, I see the stitching has the exact same dimple on the inner ring. I suspect these are sourced from the same maker, with just some minor variance of batch. After wearing them for a brief time, the foam felt more the same to the OEM pad. Pad shape and width match, with same angle.

So for $20 a set it's a fine replacement for the originals. I believe they also make variations, either vegan protein or sheepskin, and some fenestrated options.

If you get them, I suggest you clean/condition them upon arrival, as the one I am using is showing a little drying in the leather.

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #987 of 1,015
https://aliexpress.com/item/4000279980956.html

I think these will make for a valid replacement. Compared to the stock earpads, I would say they have improved my overall experience with the M1570: comfort-wise, they will provide a better fit for the ears, whereas the stock one would make me feel some ear strain even after short listening sessions. There are also improvements in the sound performance: the inner walls of the pads are perforated and wider - thanks to the oval shape - than the original ones, resulting in an airier and wider (not dramatically, but the difference can be perceived) soundstage, plus a better textured and more realistic bass rendition, whilst retaining the good slam and impact. To put it shortly, while with the stock pads the M1570 may sound somewhat "congested" at times, with these alternative set this will not happen. Just my personal opinions of course, YMMV.
110mm size will provide the best fit (I also tried the 105mm version), as the pads will stay in place and it will be easier to swap them.

Excellent advice, thank you, just received these pads and I find them better than both stock pads, and even a bit better than the ones I found on aliexpress and modified with holes: with your suggested pads pinna gain area is not recessed like the stock pleather ones and not as forward as the velour, the overall tonality is excellent and very similar to my modified aliexpress hybrids, but with no hint of bloating in the bass and mid-bass. Overall a very slight improvement compared to 'my' pads, and a significant improvement over both stock pads.

Jan 15, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #988 of 1,015
Has anyone gone ahead and replaced the headband with a suspension band? What's your long-term impression of the mod? Worth the $/effort?

I've been thinking lately about moving on from the M1570, mostly because the size and weight are starting to annoy me.

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #989 of 1,015
Has anyone gone ahead and replaced the headband with a suspension band? What's your long-term impression of the mod? Worth the $/effort?

I've been thinking lately about moving on from the M1570, mostly because the size and weight are starting to annoy me.
@hottyson has quite a few posts in this thread about modding using an Audeze suspension headband

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #990 of 1,015

Users who are viewing this thread

Back