Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Sep 22, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #541 of 1,015
I can't wait until I get my balanced cable and my Liquid Platinum back. I'm so eager to hear this headphone on that amp.

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #542 of 1,015
I can't wait until I get my balanced cable and my Liquid Platinum back. I'm so eager to hear this headphone on that amp.
While I would be interested in a balanced amp, the Asgard 3 really does a great job, and I think the gains of going to something like a Jot 2 would be only incremental. So I'm not in any rush. Plus, I'd have to find a balanced tube preamp, or get a tube hybrid balanced.

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #543 of 1,015
Certainly "softer". My testing list is 17 songs and about 1 and 1/4 hrs. long. I am going back and fourth. When the HE6se V2's are on my head, I am absolutely certain that they are the superior headphone by no small measure.
Then I put the M1570's on and everything feels and sounds good. Not as much punch, but very smooth. A very pleasant experience. I think I might be keeping both. Two different ways to do planar's and both are falling into my "really like" zone. If I HAD to get rid of one, it would be the M1570's.

But you have to compare three specs:
1) Sale prices of $399 VS $599

2) M1570's are kind of a loose, sloppy fit. Move your head sharply and they will fall off. The HE6se V2's are KILLING the top of my head and will require Dekoni Nuggets, which I already have. Hurts like the Cascades.

3) The biggie: amp pairing. You can of course play them on anything. But to get their best you are looking at close to the $1,000.00 mark, IMO.
The iFi Pro iCAN is exquisite, but that was like $1,799.00 new (and is now discontinued).
The LP and the Schiit Loki are almost there, but that was $599.00, plus shipping and $149.00, plus shipping. About $850.00ish (about $1,300.00Cdn.).
Hey! Odds you're Canadian & in Ottawa/Mtl? I'm looking to test an HE6se v2 to decide whether or not to move on from my 1570's.

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #544 of 1,015
Hey! Odds you're Canadian & in Ottawa/Mtl? I'm looking to test an HE6se v2 to decide whether or not to move on from my 1570's.
Canadian in Halifax. The HE6se V2's are a LOT more intense and exciting than the M1570's. But you Really need a strong amp.

Sep 25, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #545 of 1,015
I discovered something this morning. I was fscking around with Windows 11, and checking out various audio settings, because you can't access the quick setting options off the taskbar like you can in Win10. I then noticed this "Enhance Audio" option, which is different from the Spatial Sound options. So I decided to test this, and while doing so, I disabled my EQ APO profile.

First thing I noticed is that the toggle is incorrect upon initial menu opening... it says "Off" but it's On by default. When it's off, you lose EQ APO completely. With it on and EQ APO off, the audio does change, and not necessarily for the better. With it disabled, I actually started to be ok with the headphones w/o any EQ. So, what sort of Windows fsckery is going on with it enabled?! Anybody know what it does exactly?

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #547 of 1,015
Anyone in the US interested in the M1570 for a good price? PM me. It's not that I don't like them, but I have no reason to keep them with the HE6se V2 around. I'd include the Balanced Hart Cable.
Don't rush right into it. I had the same feeling when comparing the two, but they really are two different kinds of headphones. Put them away for a week or two and then pull them out and see what you think.

These headphones are two Very different types of planar's.

Or, if you're not the collecting type, I get it and GLWS.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #548 of 1,015
I have to admit I haven't really fallen in love with the M1570 yet. I enjoy it when I'm wearing it, for sure, but with headphones like my Sextett or my Argon or a couple others, I've had moments where, like, "oh my gosh I can't wait to get home and listen to this headphone." I haven't felt that kind of impulse with the M1570 yet. It's especially troubling that I haven't managed to really bond with them yet considering they're the most expensive headphone I've ever bought yet.

My balanced M1570 cable is incoming, my Argon is still out getting its balanced conversion, and I'm waiting for my replacement Liquid Platinum amp after I had to RMA my old one. All three of these items are very influential in what I decide to do with my M1570, and all I can do is kinda just sit on my hands and wait until I get all my kit back, lol. I have a lot of listening and comparing to do and I can't do any of it at the moment.

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #549 of 1,015
I enjoy it when I'm wearing it, for sure, but with headphones like my Sextett or my Argon or a couple others, I've had moments where, like, "oh my gosh I can't wait to get home and listen to this headphone." I haven't felt that kind of impulse with the M1570 yet. It's especially troubling that I haven't managed to really bond with them yet considering they're the most expensive headphone I've ever bought yet.
That's kind of how I feel about my 2020 LCD-X -- I've not yet bonded with them, even though I think, "yeah, these are pretty dang good" when I have them on my head. :sweat_smile:

And until the HD-8XX which I just bought days ago (and still haven't received), the LCD-X were the most expensive headphone I'd ever bought.

I'm still curious about the M1570 and wondering if I'd like them better than the LCD-X, but I keep banishing that thought because of the price difference. :confused:

Like you, I also have the HE-6se v2 (on my head now, in fact) so I probably don't really need the M1570. Yeah, that's what I am going to keep telling myself...

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #550 of 1,015
Like you, I also have the HE-6se v2 (on my head now, in fact) so I probably don't really need the M1570. Yeah, that's what I am going to keep telling myself...

Yeah, That one's on my radar now, too, but I'm having such a hard time pinpointing what it is about the M1570 that's leaving me unsatisfied that it's impossible for me to know if the HE6se would be an improvement for me. For all I know, the Argon is all I need, but I just can't be sure until I get it back, lol

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #551 of 1,015
Anyone in the US interested in the M1570 for a good price? PM me. It's not that I don't like them, but I have no reason to keep them with the HE6se V2 around. I'd include the Balanced Hart Cable.
You should keep them on hand in case your HE6se needs repair and will be out for repair.

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #552 of 1,015
Just a quick update on amps.
My best amp with the M1570 has changed. It is now is the Rebel Audio RebelAmp. This amp has the best smoothed out highs. It also bests all of my other solid state amps.

I always prefer tubes over solid state, with the exception of the Rebel RebelAmp.
Sir, would you be so kind as to share more detailed thoughts on the Rebel Amp Vs Singxer-SA1?

I'm looking to pair either of them with Aryas which require 3 things for me:

1- Wide soundstage
2- lots of power
3- tamed highs.

The Rebel amp already seems to tick box 3 while the Singxer ticks box 1 in your comments, so it would be great to have them put head to head.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #553 of 1,015
While I would be interested in a balanced amp, the Asgard 3 really does a great job, and I think the gains of going to something like a Jot 2 would be only incremental. So I'm not in any rush. Plus, I'd have to find a balanced tube preamp, or get a tube hybrid balanced.
I heard yesterday that the LP is on sale again for $599.00.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #554 of 1,015
Sir, would you be so kind as to share more detailed thoughts on the Rebel Amp Vs Singxer-SA1?

I'm looking to pair either of them with Aryas which require 3 things for me:

1- Wide soundstage
2- lots of power
3- tamed highs.

The Rebel amp already seems to tick box 3 while the Singxer ticks box 1 in your comments, so it would be great to have them put head to head.

Thanks in advance!
1 Both have wide soundstage
2 Both have ample power
3 The refined highs of the RebelAmp is next level

I can only recommend the Singxer SA-1 if you need the balanced xlr pre-out for speaker setups that require them and the switch for speaker/headphone.

Otherwise, the RebelAmp trumps the Singxer all day long in every single category for headphone amplification. The RebelAmp is a $500 amp that should be selling for $1,200 or higher. We are talking about the next league of amplification for a measly $500. It cannot be beat unless you go tube amplifier.

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #555 of 1,015
New custom Hart cable delivered! Time to get to know how these sound balanced.

One thing is immediately obvious, this cable is much MUCH less cumbersome than the stock one. The stock cable is one thick beefy person that just refuses to lay on my desk the way I want it. And I was always aware of it hanging on my chest. This Hart cable is much more like... well, it's like a headphone cable should be. Flexible and light. And that's not to say Hart are the only ones who can provide a cable like this, it's more to say that the stock cable really is pretty ridiculous is all, lol

Attachments

• 20210928_125529_1.jpg
    20210928_125529_1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back