Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Sep 15, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #511 of 1,015
It's been a few weeks since getting the M1570, and I just wanted to say that, yeah, they still suck me into the music I listen to. I was listening to a live performance of Fleetwood Mac from a gig they did in 1976, and I loved how they sounded, even over Youtube. Stevie Nicks has some serious vocal cords, and that nose!

Still considering a new cable from Hart Audio, as the stock cable is really thicc, and a little unwieldy. I can also order the Balanced connection while at it, so I can have both terminations.

Sep 15, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #512 of 1,015
It's been a few weeks since getting the M1570, and I just wanted to say that, yeah, they still suck me into the music I listen to. I was listening to a live performance of Fleetwood Mac from a gig they did in 1976, and I loved how they sounded, even over Youtube. Stevie Nicks has some serious vocal cords, and that nose!

Still considering a new cable from Hart Audio, as the stock cable is really thicc, and a little unwieldy. I can also order the Balanced connection while at it, so I can have both terminations.
My Hart Audio cable is on the way. I'll post how it is when it arrives.

Sep 15, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #513 of 1,015

The HAC system makes it SO much easier to change headphones or amps. And the sound is great too.

Here is a pic of HAC at work:

20210913_140637~2.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #514 of 1,015
One more follow up after around a week or so of listening. Hands down the best sounding headphones I have listened to. At $399, they are criminally underrated. I got used to the weight within 2 days, but the tonality, the sound and how they make music come alive truly cannot be expressed.

I have now settled with the velour pads and no EQ for now. Tried the Auto EQ preset, but greatly prefer the non eq sound over that. Might play around with the eq down the road, but for now am absolutely pleased by the sound.

Those on the fence, order from Ebay or Walmart for a faster shipping + better customer support. Don't give up on these! My Walmart order took around 2 weeks, but it finally got delivered. Ebay guarantees a 4 day delivery within US, so that might be a better option.

Sep 16, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #515 of 1,015
In the race of which arrives first, my headphone or my Hart balanced cable, the winner is...

20210916_103414.jpg

...the headphone!

Sep 16, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #517 of 1,015
My first impression: These give me the same feeling I get when I put on my glasses after cleaning them for the first time in weeks. Like, "OH WOW. DETAIL. CLARITY."

I haven't really experienced a headphone until now that was both extremely detailed with its highs, yet non-fatiguing and non-sibilant at the same time.

"Horseshoes and Hand Grenades" by Larkin Poe is my usual go-to track to test sibilance, and of all my headphones, the only ones that can play that track without any discomfort are my Senn HD6XXs, but that's only because they're so veiled. The M1570, I can't yet say they handle the sibilance in that track in a 100% comfortable way for me, but it's very close, and it's miles and miles better than what any other headphone I've listened to with detailed highs is capable of. Handling sibilance this well without just veiling all the highs is a very difficult task and the M1570 seems to be killing it.

Sep 16, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #518 of 1,015
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #519 of 1,015
What are people's opinions on and experiences with the two different pads the M1570 ships with? I've been getting to know the pleather ones and want to give them more time before I switch, but I am indeed curious what I can expect with the velours.

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #520 of 1,015
What are people's opinions on and experiences with the two different pads the M1570 ships with? I've been getting to know the pleather ones and want to give them more time before I switch, but I am indeed curious what I can expect with the velours.
I find the pleathers bassier and a better fit. I tried the furries for a full day and was not impressed. They will never be going back on.
I am actually anxious to get these back on next week. :L3000:

Sep 18, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #522 of 1,015
I'll say this for sure, the oratory EQ is pretty transformative. I don't like to EQ in the early days of getting to know a headphone, but... this is just better. Added +2db to the bass for my taste and :ok_hand:

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #523 of 1,015
FYI - the pads of the M1570 / M1070 are leather pads, and not pleather. Any online review or source (like Zeos) identifying them as pleather is seriously incorrect. My recent conditioning of the pads proves they are leather. :)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #524 of 1,015
FYI - the pads of the M1570 / M1070 are leather pads, and not pleather. Any online review or source (like Zeos) identifying them as pleather is seriously incorrect. My recent conditioning of the pads proves they are leather. :)
Their website claims they are protein leather/lambskin leather. Feels like vinyl to me, but I am not a leather connoisseur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back