Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Sep 9, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #481 of 1,015
Thank you! I usually just import EQ settings from AutoEQ to peace, I have to figure out how to manually setup the EQ.
Copy the settings to a txt file. On the config.txt tab of EQ APO, add an Control...Include, and from here, load the txt file you saved. You can open the txt file in EQ APO to adjust the settings. (You can probably also do it in Peace, but I don't bother with that, since I learned how to do everything in EQ APO)

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #482 of 1,015
If you would like to try it, here's my current EQ for the M1570:

Filter: ON LSC Fc 105 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 1100 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 2
Filter: ON HSC Fc 1300 Hz Gain 7 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 3050 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -3.6 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 8100 Hz Gain -3.4 dB Q 6
Filter: ON HSC Fc 10000 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 0.71
Preamp: -2.2 dB
Thank you for your effort but when I did an import of those settings to APO EQ it sounds horribly mudded and recessed. I think everyone have to match EQ settings to their hardware. When you have bright source then these settings will propably work. With my warm relaxed signature from SMSL SU-9 and Monolith 887 I do not have to change anything for my taste.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #483 of 1,015
Copy the settings to a txt file. On the config.txt tab of EQ APO, add an Control...Include, and from here, load the txt file you saved. You can open the txt file in EQ APO to adjust the settings. (You can probably also do it in Peace, but I don't bother with that, since I learned how to do everything in EQ APO)
That worked! I just had to add numbers next to each filter i.e. Filter 1, filter 2 etc., the import worked perfectly. On my JDS Atom stack, I notice only subtle changes, but it seems to bring out background details when listening to orchestral tracks. Thanks for sharing!

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #484 of 1,015
I just placed my Hart Audio Cables order for a custom balanced cable for the M1570 I ordered on Saturday. Hart says lead time is about 2-3 weeks. We'll see which one gets here first, the cable or the headphone. :p

Sep 9, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #485 of 1,015
Thank you for your effort but when I did an import of those settings to APO EQ it sounds horribly mudded and recessed. I think everyone have to match EQ settings to their hardware. When you have bright source then these settings will propably work. With my warm relaxed signature from SMSL SU-9 and Monolith 887 I do not have to change anything for my taste.
You got me thinking about this, so I decided to listen to these headphones w/o EQ, and I removed my tube preamp out of the chain, and started playing with the Impulse Filters. (SMSL M300 MKII with a AK4497 DAC into an Asgard 3) Straight up, the default Fast Sharp impulse (FL1) sounded best, tho the M1570 still sounds dark, and I would still EQ it. Then I reconnected the tube preamp, which uses Sylvania JAN-CHS 6AK5 tubes. And w/o EQ, FL1 sounded pretty good, but a touch leaner. FL5 (Super Slow) gives me more bass slam, and SMSL describes this impulse as the "Natural Sounding" choice.

Now I have to redo everything to see if I can get it perfect w/o EQ. Aarrgghh.

EDIT: I wound up back where I started. The Super Slow (FL5) and using the default Sound Color 1 (What do these do anyway?) gives the vocals more dimension, and sound most natural to my ears. I can easily visualize the artist performing, as it sounds the most like an actual person before me instead of a recording. The other impulses have the tendency of rounding off the vocals, and they come across as more compressed dynamically, and a bit more forward.

@abccpu I wouldn't classify the SU-9 (ESS DAC) + Monoprice 887 as "warm and relaxed" :floatsmile:

On another note, this is a testimony to the quality of the M1570, that changing the Imput Filters of the DAC are very apparent. Most people find that they can't tell the differences. I can, and it's easy to do.

EDIT2: After testing the cans on other sources, I came to realize that something was wonky with the SMSL setup. I wound up changing the USB cable and moved it to a new port, letting it reinstall, and now it sounds more normal, and my EQ is VERY BRIGHT. Going to restore the EQ to Oratory1990 defaults and tweak from scratch. The sad part is I don't know what caused it. It could have been EQ APO's driver hook, or some other component, or that iffy contact on the gain switch of the Asgard 3 when on High Gain.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #486 of 1,015
@abccpu I wouldn't classify the SU-9 (ESS DAC)
SMSL SU-9 is warm (I would say even very warm) DAC and I was very suprised too as I had different expactations from previous experience with ESS chips :)Monoprice 887 is linear and shows exactly how DAC sounds so with bright DAC will be bright with warm will keep warm signature.

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #487 of 1,015
The Monolith M1570 after eq is mind blowing impressive. I'm amazed at how much the imaging, soundstage and detail improves and they can really handle eq down low as well. I'd take them over the LCD-X any day honestly. I've been listening to my friends pair since I have no idea when my pair will ship.. So I'm greatful to him letting me use them. All I can certainly say though is the M1570 has very technical drivers, extremely technical drivers but to get full potential, EQ and a good seal is a must. The M1570 does sound good without eq and no it doesn't need it. But a little EQ can go a very long way. The more I've listened, the more I've realised how special the driver in the M1570 really is and can say that Monoprice has done wonders here. While I felt at first few hours listen the M1570 performed at LCD-2 and LCD-X level. I personally feel it exceeds those two. But no, the M1570 is no Audeze, but the technical performance is seriously impressive and I'd honestly say is very close to that of the LCD-3 and Meze Empyrean. Now do understand. Those two headphones are far from the most technical headphones I've heard. Cheaper models like the HD800s and Focal Clear MG even the Austrian Audio HI-X65 have better clarity and detail. But the LCD-3 and Empyrean far excel in musicality. I can happily say the M1570 is as musicaly comparable to the LCD-3 and Empyrean and will bring as much enjoyment as those two models. And I can also happily say the technical qualities are very very similar to the LCD-3 and Empyrean aswell. The LCD-3 still has more punch/slam in the low end, Audeze has that in spades. And the Empyrean has the most low end compared to the M1570 and LCD-3. But the M1570 does have better detail than the Empyrean and maybe even better sub bass texturing and detail than the LCD-3 and Empyrean. The low end on the M1570 is extremely good. Some of the best I've heard. And honestly in comparison, while the Empyrean has beyond than enough low end, it can sound too warm at times and too much for my personal liking.

Mids I also find the M1570 to be the winner here. The Empyrean has upfront mids but this can sound to upfront and sometimes congested but luckily separation is of very good quality here. The LCD-3 in comparison is more similar to the M1570 though a little warmer and darker. I personally feel the M1570 nails mids here. They are lush, full and have a sense of realism that the LCD-3 and Empyrean can do, but aren't nailed like the M1570. When it comes to treble, the LCD-3 has the extra kick up top that all Audeze models seem to do. Personally I don't find it natural but it does help with that perception of better detail, clarity, soundstage and openness. The Empyrean also does this, seems like alot of high end headphones do this. The M1570 keeps it the most tamed, this helps keep things more natural and non fatiguing but to my surprise. I found the M1570 to sound just as opened and airy. Yes the LCD-3 and Empyrean have a touch more detail uptop. But with a little bit of eq, the M1570 come to life high up there and details come out to play. Soundstage I'd rate LCD-3 > M1570 / Empyrean. The LCD-3 to my ear has a slightly wider soundstage compared to all three yet I feel height and depth to all be very similar between the 3. When it comes to imaging though, I'd rate it M1570 > Empyrean / LCD-3. The M1570 to me felt the most pinpoint and accurate. This could be due to the soundstage not being extremely wide and helps keeps things neat. The Empyrean would be a close second but I feel that big low end could be interfering with some frequencies and causing a bit of blur in the mix. The LCD-3 I'd rate last with imaging, but it's still extremely good.

Now am I saying the M1570 is a better headphone? Hell no. But I do feel the sound quality is extremely good. And I'd rate it insane value for money. But in no way is the quality of materials and build in the class of the LCD-3 and Empyrean. But the M1570 isn't bad. The materials are still very good and high quality, it's just that the final execution could have been better. Better headband and this could have really made the M1570 truly mind blowing. I though, can accept this slight inconvenience as what I am hearing, is truly mind blowing. I am loving these!!!!!!! And can classify the sound quality and technical performance of the drivers as end game. They are EFFING GREAT!! 😁👍

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #488 of 1,015
You got me thinking about this, so I decided to listen to these headphones w/o EQ, and I removed my tube preamp out of the chain, and started playing with the Impulse Filters. (SMSL M300 MKII with a AK4497 DAC into an Asgard 3) Straight up, the default Fast Sharp impulse (FL1) sounded best, tho the M1570 still sounds dark, and I would still EQ it. Then I reconnected the tube preamp, which uses Sylvania JAN-CHS 6AK5 tubes. And w/o EQ, FL1 sounded pretty good, but a touch leaner. FL5 (Super Slow) gives me more bass slam, and SMSL describes this impulse as the "Natural Sounding" choice.

Now I have to redo everything to see if I can get it perfect w/o EQ. Aarrgghh.

EDIT: I wound up back where I started. The Super Slow (FL5) and using the default Sound Color 1 (What do these do anyway?) gives the vocals more dimension, and sound most natural to my ears. I can easily visualize the artist performing, as it sounds the most like an actual person before me instead of a recording. The other impulses have the tendency of rounding off the vocals, and they come across as more compressed dynamically, and a bit more forward.

@abccpu I wouldn't classify the SU-9 (ESS DAC) + Monoprice 887 as "warm and relaxed" :floatsmile:

On another note, this is a testimony to the quality of the M1570, that changing the Imput Filters of the DAC are very apparent. Most people find that they can't tell the differences. I can, and it's easy to do.

EDIT2: After testing the cans on other sources, I came to realize that something was wonky with the SMSL setup. I wound up changing the USB cable and moved it to a new port, letting it reinstall, and now it sounds more normal, and my EQ is VERY BRIGHT. Going to restore the EQ to Oratory1990 defaults and tweak from scratch. The sad part is I don't know what caused it. It could have been EQ APO's driver hook, or some other component, or that iffy contact on the gain switch of the Asgard 3 when on High Gain.
I adjusted the low shelf to 70hz and 3.5db. The highshelf at 1300hz to 5db and highshelf at 10k to 3.5db. This keeps the low end to have oomph but the low end remains much more cleaner as only sub bass is being touch. The treble won't be as bright and more align to the whole frequency as well. I try to keep it as neutral as possible while still keeping it musical. Oratorys setting for me is too boomy and bright

Sep 10, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #489 of 1,015
I learned a couple of things:

1) Do not try and calibrate your audio rig at 3 AM. Your brain is disabled. I got more accomplished in the morning.
2) These headphones are dark when no EQ is applied, and I am not a fan of the signature.
3) Your tube selection matters. I used the GE JAN 5654W for an hour last night, and had mixed feelings on those. Currently using Voskhod 6J1P-EV. Any other 7-pin tube recommendations welcome.
4) DAC Filter selection can really make a difference. The default Fast filter makes them sound a little better w/o EQ, but really makes them sound flatter, less dimensional. After going through all of them, I am back to FL5 Super Slow.
5) Tried out Sonarwork's SoundID Reference, and unfortunately they don't have a M1570 profile, tho of the Audeze profiles they had, the LCD-X one sounded the best to me. So if I wanted to use their product, I would have to mail my cans to them, so they can add it to their profile list. Currently using Oratory1990's profile, and only very slightly tweaked.

Sep 10, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #490 of 1,015
A few things add up to keep the M1570 from being as good as the HE6se V2.
-The default signature. Without EQ it just isn't quite up to par. This could be a deal breaker for those who outright refuse to use EQ.
-The PIN choice was a bad one. I want to use my other balanced cables without needing another.
-Ergonomics. Needs works in material quality and weight.

But...
If you EQ these to be less dark, they absolutely play on the same level as the HE6se V2 sound wise.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #491 of 1,015
-The default signature. Without EQ it just isn't quite up to par. This could be a deal breaker for those who outright refuse to use EQ.
-The PIN choice was a bad one. I want to use my other balanced cables without needing another.

But...
If you EQ these to be less dark, they absolutely play on the same level as the HE6se V2 sound wise.
Absolutely agree. Without eq they aren't bad. They still perform well. But to get the best out of them. Eq is a must, and damn. They impress. I always eq my headphones. So EQ is no issue haha 😁. But I will say, I am liking the M1570 way more than an Arya or Focal Clear. While those two may be more "Clear" and detailed, the enjoyment is no where near as good from what I out of the M1570. Listening to The Prodigy and just the slam, the dynamics, the clarity the detail, all of it is there but it's also so fun to listen to. Masterful 😁

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #492 of 1,015

But...
I plan to use them without eq and I already own He6se v2, do you still recommend me to grab a pair?

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #493 of 1,015
I love that the only headphones these start to struggle against cost 3-4x as much

Sep 11, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #494 of 1,015
Absolutely agree. Without eq they aren't bad. They still perform well. But to get the best out of them. Eq is a must, and damn. They impress. I always eq my headphones. So EQ is no issue haha 😁. But I will say, I am liking the M1570 way more than an Arya or Focal Clear. While those two may be more "Clear" and detailed, the enjoyment is no where near as good from what I out of the M1570. Listening to The Prodigy and just the slam, the dynamics, the clarity the detail, all of it is there but it's also so fun to listen to. Masterful 😁
I haven't been EQ'ing with my Loki, but I do crank up the bass boost and the 3D sound effect on my iFi Pro iCAN. I can't wait to go back and forth with these two!

Sep 11, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #495 of 1,015
I plan to use them without eq and I already own He6se v2, do you still recommend me to grab a pair?
Honestly, no. Without EQ it's a downgrade.
At $600 the M1570 does not match the value and sound of the now similarly priced HE6se V2. At $400, with EQ, it does make a compelling value option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back