Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Jan 4, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #916 of 1,015
I have tried a couple of pads bought from aliexpress, a velour one (dismissed) and a 'hybrid (felt/ fake leather) one that in stock form sounds very bassy and bloaty on the M1570, but with some cuts on the leather part sounds very well: I think I prefer it over both stock pads (I was using stock velour over stock leather before). Unfortunately, cuts (eleven for each side) are made with a simple pair of scissors, and the aesthetic result is not very good, but the sound is. By ear (I cannot measure them) it's the best midrange, with no hint of honkiness and almost no need to equalize. Worth a try, since they are very cheap (6,80 eur a pair, shipped from china, it's the 110mm version). I ordered another two pairs to try a different number of holes on each side and/or holes on the inside perimeter.

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...st_main.5.1ffb3696W2VRyL&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita
You may want to try fenestrated pads too.

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #917 of 1,015
Jan 5, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #918 of 1,015
Not on the M1570, I am still using the stock leathers. Fenestrated aren't bass bloaty, quite the contrary. I have Dekoni Hybrids Elites on a set of DT-1990, which have fenestrated leather on the pad interior, solid on the outside, and velour on the contact. I also have Elite Velours on my HD-580. Nice having pads on them that don't self-destruct in a year.

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #919 of 1,015
Did someone try some of the Round XL pads from Brainwavz (hybrid ,perforated, etc..) on the M1570? They are 110mm, so they should fit.
Revisiting this topic... Can anyone confirm success with one of the various "fits Monolith M1060" 110mm pads available from Ali or Amazon?

If so, any favourites?

Jan 27, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #920 of 1,015
Revisiting this topic... Can anyone confirm success with one of the various "fits Monolith M1060" 110mm pads available from Ali or Amazon?

If so, any favourites?
Yes, as I wrote before 110mm pads fit well, and I've found my favorites on Aliexpress (see post #915). In the meantime I also tried other aliexpress 110mm pads, they all fit, but the sound signature is often worse than the stock pads.

These are those I tried:

1) https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.17.55f33696lIREU0&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita
2) https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.34.55f33696lIREU0&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita
3) https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.11.55f33696lIREU0&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita
4) https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...st_main.5.55f33696lIREU0&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita

1) are my absolute favourite, but only if modified with 11 or 12 holes (see post 915): in their stock form they are very bassy and unusable, with the holes they become my favorite pads for the M1570.
2) are my least favourite
3) are barely usable, but I prefer both stock pads to this one
4) too little bass, the M1570 become very lean.

Jan 28, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #921 of 1,015
Yes, as I wrote before 110mm pads fit well, and I've found my favorites on Aliexpress (see post #915). In the meantime I also tried other aliexpress 110mm pads, they all fit, but the sound signature is often worse than the stock pads.

These are those I tried:

1) https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.17.55f33696lIREU0&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita
2) https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.34.55f33696lIREU0&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita
3) https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.11.55f33696lIREU0&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita
4) https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...st_main.5.55f33696lIREU0&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita

1) are my absolute favourite, but only if modified with 11 or 12 holes (see post 915): in their stock form they are very bassy and unusable, with the holes they become my favorite pads for the M1570.
2) are my least favourite
3) are barely usable, but I prefer both stock pads to this one
4) too little bass, the M1570 become very lean.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately your links above don't seem to work for me - they all land on the Aliexpress home page. What's the brand name for your favourite (#1)?

Jan 28, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #922 of 1,015
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately your links above don't seem to work for me - they all land on the Aliexpress home page. What's the brand name for your favourite (#1)?
ah ok, sorry, don't know why.
You can try to search "Lemonpapa store" on Aliexpress. The pads itself are not named, they are available in different sizes (one is 110 mm), and they are "leather" (I don't believe is real leather) on the outside border and "velvet" (whatever it is) on the part resting on the ear, see attachment.

The ones I do not prefer are from other stores, for example "SUN-BOW Store" (all velvet), "IMTTSTR" (mesh+perforated pleather), "CP YANG Store" (perforated pleather)

Attachments

• Senza titolo.jpg
    Senza titolo.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #923 of 1,015
Strange ... when I search Ali I don't find any of those storefronts. I get a bunch of other random names like YHcouldin or DeerVeer. Must be a geography thing.

In any case, I found ones that look similar to what you showed.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #924 of 1,015
I've noticed that after wearing the 1570's for about an hour or two I begin to feel pain around my right ear. It's odd in that I can't place it well but it's always around my ear, sometimes behind the spot where my ear meets my head, or at times right toward the front of my ear, toward the front of my face. I've tried changing the height adjustment on the headband mechanism and tried re-situating them on my head to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this?

While I absolutely love the sheepskin pads I'm going to try the velour to see if they make a difference. I haven't wanted to thus far because I love the sound and don't want to change it.

I'm almost wondering if the clamping force is too much for my head?

Feb 3, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #925 of 1,015
I've noticed that after wearing the 1570's for about an hour or two I begin to feel pain around my right ear. It's odd in that I can't place it well but it's always around my ear, sometimes behind the spot where my ear meets my head, or at times right toward the front of my ear, toward the front of my face. I've tried changing the height adjustment on the headband mechanism and tried re-situating them on my head to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this?

While I absolutely love the sheepskin pads I'm going to try the velour to see if they make a difference. I haven't wanted to thus far because I love the sound and don't want to change it.

I'm almost wondering if the clamping force is too much for my head?
I find the clamping force to be a little loose, and I adjusted the curve of the forks to increase clamp. As for my ears, I wear them all day w/o discomfort. I also condition my leather cups to keep them soft and supple.

Feb 3, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #926 of 1,015
I was using the leather pads exclusively when I first got these, but recently switched to the velours to give them a try.

I won't be sticking with the velours - to my ear they drain most of the "life" out of the sound and everything just feels more vague, less present. Problem is, as much as I enjoy the leather pads they're maybe a little too impactful. The way they contain and direct the sound pressure toward my ear canal sounds amazing, but I find my ears are sometimes ringing after a good listening session.

I've have some Aliexpress hybrids and perforated pads on order ... hopeful that one of them will give me the best of both worlds.

Feb 3, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #927 of 1,015
I find the clamping force to be a little loose, and I adjusted the curve of the forks to increase clamp. As for my ears, I wear them all day w/o discomfort. I also condition my leather cups to keep them soft and supple.
I'm guessing our heads may be differently-sized. How did you go about adjusting the curve of the headband? Just a matter of leaving the headphones on a suitably-large object?

In reading about headband replacements it sounds like that increases clamp so that doesn't sound like a good idea for myself, assuming clamp force is the issue.

I'm also reading Dekoni Nuggets can raise the headband and decrease the clamp force, can anyone confirm there?

Feb 3, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #928 of 1,015
How did you go about adjusting the curve of the headband?
As much as people like to complain about the construction of the M1570 headband and the relatively soft metal used, it does yield the advantage of being quite easy to adjust.

Just extend the yokes as far as they go, then (gently) apply force to bend the metal inward or outward as needed. Go slow. Better to make tiny adjustments 5 times in a row than one big adjustment that goes wrong.

Feb 3, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #929 of 1,015
How did you go about adjusting the curve of the headband?
I just finger-bent the metal tongue of the headband, in the triangle area just above the fork is. I moved both sides in just a touch, and improved comfort and securing the headphones on my head. Have to redo it after a few months usually.

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #930 of 1,015
@robertom do these look similar to the hybrid pads you tried? Just arrived today and haven't had a chance to install them yet.
16760581115493795669712441614670.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back