Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
May 15, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #1,246 of 1,409
For all talking about pads, I've read the Dekoni Elite Velours behave similarly to Audeze vegans and are half the cost at $40/pair and are readily available. I haven't ran them, but apparently they do remove "shouty" treble and tone down the sub-bass ever so slightly. I don't think those changes would be an improvement, but that's me. It is possible the sound becomes cleaner without the reverb caused by the tall pleather sidewall, which would be a huge improvement to headphone that already struggles badly with messy reverberant mids out of the box. Whenever I sell more things I'll probably give the Dekonis a shot as messy mids are my #1 gripe about these.

As far as weight is concerned, removing that thick wood cover, the foam pads, and the tuning foam all over the headphones does drop some weight. A good headband adds it right back, though.

Can anyone here who has gotten past the housing and into the driver area tell me what sort of space exists between the driver and the circle of black metal you gotta pull out to get there? the pic attached is from Pg. 75, don't know who from. From the outside it appears there's a pretty good air gap between the driver and the metal plate, causing an echo chamber. If there is enough gap, theoretically, that metal plate could be lined on the inside with felt or other acoustically absorptive material and the reverb would be gone.
1060c Driver.jpg

May 17, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #1,247 of 1,409
I picked up my M1060C's in the last month and thought to put some "finishing touches" on them by performing the following mods that I'm happy with. I say finishing touches in quotes - because even now I'm thinking of redoing the grills. I'm thinking of requesting if they can be lazer cut out of a more premium wood so I won't have to stain.

That said I did the following:

1) I did the fuzzor mod both inside and out as shown. I was previously unhappy with the fazors I'd bought.
2) My grills were previously attached by rubber bands creating a tight fit. But eventually the bands became dry and ugly looking - so I drilled 4 holes and installed countersunk bolts and nylon washers as shown.
3) I had Vesper Audio make me some great angled leather pads with a fenestrated interior.

Between the Vesper pads and the headband swap I'd mentioned before - these are among my most comfortable headphones. I can wear them all day without issues.

As far as Sound, they're my best "normal" headphones - by that I mean I'm not counting my electrostatic ones.

These were really great headphones to mod and I'm regularly listening to them, they flat out sound great.

Attachments

• M1060C1.jpg
    M1060C1.jpg
    683.3 KB · Views: 0
  • M1060C2.jpg
    M1060C2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • M1060C3.jpg
    M1060C3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • M1060C4.jpg
    M1060C4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
May 17, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #1,248 of 1,409
What did you think of the inside fuzzor? I removed all the foam from mine inside and out, noticed a big change, then did outside fuzzor and noticed nothing.
Where does that headband come from? it's not the first time I've seen it which is why I ask.

May 18, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #1,249 of 1,409
What did you think of the inside fuzzor? I removed all the foam from mine inside and out, noticed a big change, then did outside fuzzor and noticed nothing.
Where does that headband come from? it's not the first time I've seen it which is why I ask.
I performed both fuzzor mods at the same time, so I can't distinguish the effects of inside vs out. Overall, I think they killed a lot of reflected sound - mids were clearer to me. That's a lot of the benefit I get from perforated interiors on pads as well.

The headband I stole from the following inexpensive headphones:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Headset-N...qid=1621337657&sprefix=hp+gaming+head&sr=8-12

The only bad thing is they're one size fits most. Only the bungees provide adjustment. But if it fits, it's super comfortable. The strap itself is padded.

May 19, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #1,250 of 1,409
Since I have my 2 pair of M1060C's where I want them sonically, I decided it was time to change the look of the ear cups. I always thought the beauty of the Zebrawood was wasted by Monoprice staining them so dark. I removed the cups from both sets and sanded them down. The last pic below shows one cup sanded to 600 grit and cleaned off. I haven't applied any clear coat yet but I think they're going to come out amazing. I'll post more pics in a few days after I get them sprayed and put back on the headphones.

IMG_20210201_212134.jpg
IMG_20210519_180800.jpg
IMG_20210519_190605.jpg

May 20, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #1,251 of 1,409
I decided it was time to change the look of the ear cups. I always thought the beauty of the Zebrawood was wasted by Monoprice staining them so dark. I removed the cups from both sets and sanded them down. The last pic below shows one cup sanded to 600 grit and cleaned off. I haven't applied any clear coat yet but I think they're going to come out amazing. I'll post more pics in a few days after I get them sprayed and put back on the headphones.
This is brilliant, since I've probably voided my warranty several times over by now this is probably next on my list. Gives me a good excuse to use my 2k clearcoat as well. Or are you using a different sort of clear?

May 20, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #1,252 of 1,409
This is brilliant, since I've probably voided my warranty several times over by now this is probably next on my list. Gives me a good excuse to use my 2k clearcoat as well. Or are you using a different sort of clear?

The clear I'll be using is THIS one from Rust-oleum.

May 26, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #1,254 of 1,409
I performed both fuzzor mods at the same time, so I can't distinguish the effects of inside vs out. Overall, I think they killed a lot of reflected sound - mids were clearer to me. That's a lot of the benefit I get from perforated interiors on pads as well.
Did you do the fuzzors at the same time as pads? I'm wondering if it's the pads that made the difference. In a way, the inside fuzzor makes a lot more sense than the outside one. I might be getting Dekoni Elite Velours for science purposes soon, so I will have some bare metal next to the pad walls that will be needing some sort of acoustic treatment.
On another note, I've heard it's paramount to keep any and all debris out of a Planar driver, but looking at headphones like the higher-end Hifimans and the Empyreans, they have almost nothing protecting the drivers from hair or dust on either end. From experience, I know a dynamic driver can handle a lot of abuse, I had a K240 I loaned to a bunch of people and it came back with clumps of hair hanging out on the diaphragm, I was able to literally pick it all out with no ill consequence. Are planars that much more fragile?

May 31, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #1,255 of 1,409
Just had to bite the bullet on these, so they've been ordered.

I've also ordered a balanced XLR cable, and will be using them with my Loxjie P20 hybrid amp.
I'm currently running 6xx, but have been missing sub bass which the 6xx doesn't really have plenty of.

I have never listened to a planar headphone at all, does anyone have a quick comparison against the 6xx?
I'm not really sure if this will be an upgrade, or a sidegrade, but I'd be surprised if the M1060c will best the midrange on my 6xx.

I know these are the polar opposites in terms of sound in some ways.

I'm gonna do the open back mod, and gonna order laser cut covers.

May 31, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #1,256 of 1,409
I've heard very brief comparisons, basically the soundstage is gonna still be fairly close (although wider than 6xx), and although I haven't heard the 6xx, I'll bet its midrange destroys the 1060C stock. The C's need a lot of help in the mids.

Also if you're gonna go full speed into modding, don't waste money like I did. Drill the rivet holding the stock headband strap to the slider, replace the strap with a piece of someone's old purse or other pleather, and just sit still when wearing them as they still won't have clamp force. That's going to give you less of a hotspot than even the Audeze headband like mine has. And it will be free and only take you an hour or so.

For sound quality, a big improvement can be made by ripping out the tuning foam under the pads. I don't necessarily advise removing the driver tape as the difference is slight, more on that later.

EQ: Once the foam is removed and these are fully opened, I am told these sound a lot like the LCD-2C, meaning they are good but still way better with EQ. I used this EQ profile meant for the LCD2C and had very good results with much more natural sound to my ears. I mostly listen to hard rock so any frequencies the driver can't do cleanly, I can immediately tell when applying EQ.
LCD2CEQ.PNG

Pads: I keep reading that LCD owners of the 2 and 2c alike as well as Monolith M-series owners get very good results with Dekoni Elite Velours, as it basically makes it sound like EQ'd but organically with no software. I haven't tried this yet, as soon as I get some more cash, I'll do the ear science. But another advantage of the Dekonis is that it has a mesh under the pad, so you could fully remove the driver tape on both sides and as long as you have these pads and something behind your open back covers, your drivers should be protected and delivering untampered sound.

Overall I wouldn't suggest pouring money into these like I did. At $250 with $40 pads and $10-20 covers and some free materials lying around the house, I'd settle there. It's priced under the Sundara and should probably stay there.

I am interested to see what a balanced setup would do to these. I have mine running off either a FIIO K5 pro at my desktop or thru my iPhone 6s aux out. Personally, I can't really tell a difference. At 1.6w @16ohm, you would think the K5 pro would be immediately better than the iphone for these low-sensitivity phones, but it seems they are easier to drive than the numbers may suggest.

May 31, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #1,257 of 1,409
I've heard very brief comparisons, basically the soundstage is gonna still be fairly close (although wider than 6xx), and although I haven't heard the 6xx, I'll bet its midrange destroys the 1060C stock. The C's need a lot of help in the mids.

Also if you're gonna go full speed into modding, don't waste money like I did. Drill the rivet holding the stock headband strap to the slider, replace the strap with a piece of someone's old purse or other pleather, and just sit still when wearing them as they still won't have clamp force. That's going to give you less of a hotspot than even the Audeze headband like mine has. And it will be free and only take you an hour or so.

For sound quality, a big improvement can be made by ripping out the tuning foam under the pads. I don't necessarily advise removing the driver tape as the difference is slight, more on that later.

EQ: Once the foam is removed and these are fully opened, I am told these sound a lot like the LCD-2C, meaning they are good but still way better with EQ. I used this EQ profile meant for the LCD2C and had very good results with much more natural sound to my ears. I mostly listen to hard rock so any frequencies the driver can't do cleanly, I can immediately tell when applying EQ.

Pads: I keep reading that LCD owners of the 2 and 2c alike as well as Monolith M-series owners get very good results with Dekoni Elite Velours, as it basically makes it sound like EQ'd but organically with no software. I haven't tried this yet, as soon as I get some more cash, I'll do the ear science. But another advantage of the Dekonis is that it has a mesh under the pad, so you could fully remove the driver tape on both sides and as long as you have these pads and something behind your open back covers, your drivers should be protected and delivering untampered sound.

Overall I wouldn't suggest pouring money into these like I did. At $250 with $40 pads and $10-20 covers and some free materials lying around the house, I'd settle there. It's priced under the Sundara and should probably stay there.

I am interested to see what a balanced setup would do to these. I have mine running off either a FIIO K5 pro at my desktop or thru my iPhone 6s aux out. Personally, I can't really tell a difference. At 1.6w @16ohm, you would think the K5 pro would be immediately better than the iphone for these low-sensitivity phones, but it seems they are easier to drive than the numbers may suggest.

Thanks for a detailed answer, gonna try out the EQ once I get them.

I guess you did the open mod too, with removing the cups?

Heard so much different about these headphone, someone praise them unmodded, Josh Valour say that they best the bass of the LCD2C open modded, someone say the mids and vocals are laidback, someone says it's somewhat forward.

I guess at the end of the day it's only my listening experience that matters for me, but it's few headphones that I'm able to audition before buying, so I'm buying blindly in terms of not being able to audition the sound.

Spent a double digit amount of hours researching, I were left with 5xx and this ( polar opposites ), but the sub bass described on the m1060c got the best of my curiousity.

May 31, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #1,258 of 1,409
I guess you did the open mod too, with removing the cups?
Yes open mod. Sounds good closed with the pad foam removed as well. You won't be disappointed with the bass, it's flat down to like 15 hz, it's the only headphone I've got where I can consistently feel 20hz. It's still no speaker, and my IEMs rumble harder, but the bass on these is much more sophisticated.

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #1,259 of 1,409
I'm receiving my m1060c soon.

Found a company that can lasercut a grill for me ( flat one )

Can I use the stock screws to mount it, and is there anything else I need?

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #1,260 of 1,409
You can use stock screws, and if you are leaving the driver tape intact, there's nothing needed per se as the dust and debris would have quite a path to travel to get to the driver. If removing the tape, I personally backed the rear of the covers with a circle of paper towel that's been sharpied black because I couldn't be bothered to get black paper towel. Best results will theoretically be obtained with materials that are most accoustically transparent, but for the rear covers I don't notice a lot of difference provided it is at least somewhat open and does not reverb the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back