Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Jan 24, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #1,216 of 1,409
I don't know why but I can't stop tinkering with these, lol. The pics just below is where I thought I was done. I should have known I wasn't though because that was the 4th or 5th iteration, lol.

Anywho, here is where they are now. I won't even bother to call it a final product... I took the stock ear cups and added some really nice metal grills to them. All the other mods remained the same. I'm really digging the look.
2020-11-23 (1).jpg
2020-11-23.jpg
Looks cool... But how does it sound? Vs open back vs original closed back?

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #1,217 of 1,409
Looks cool... But how does it sound? Vs open back vs original closed back?

The M1060C open back with some mods are fantastic. Great stage and instrument separation, plenty of low end grunt, with a good bit of detail in the upper regions. Better than the closed version by a fair margin, and better as an open back than the Monolith headphones that came that way IMO. I've got the fuzzor mod on the grill side, fazor mod with pad adapter on the pad side, some foam and felt in places to stop some reflections, Audeze vegan pads, and the metal grills I cut into the wood cups. A while back I took a step away from the hobby and sold a bunch of stuff, but the modded M1060C stayed. I like the platform enough that I just ordered a used set of M1060C, another HFM headband, some more fazor pad adapters, and some ZMF suede pads so that I can have another pair for my work setup.

Feb 6, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #1,218 of 1,409
I‘ve bought the M1060C for a few days. The Sound is good, but I will not write about the sound. The Headband was not that bad, but I‘ve tried the Headband from my Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R. I‘m at max. extension and I simple cut that crappy leatherband on both sides and took the Tygr Headband on the Metal/Aluminium. The Headband fits perfect. The comfort is much improved, but the claiming force is slightly stronger on both sides. He is now not perfect (my Tygr is naked at the moment :sweat_smile:) but better than before.
Maybe you guys with big heads should check Beyerdynamic-Headbands.
FA08EE6A-A45E-4956-B92A-E598324E472F.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #1,219 of 1,409
Hello all! I'm new here. These 1060 threads are a great source of info and inspiration!

Long story short, I bought some 2nd hand m1060c from eBay and they arrived today. On the whole, they blow away the AKG K702 I wanted to replace, so that's great!

The previous owner did an open back conversion (see pics) and it has standard pads on. I also have the original cups and foams etc. if needed, but open back is fine as they'll just be living in my studio.

Now... I wondered if any of you could advise what mods would best achieve the following:
- a bit more top end and high mids
- a bit more clarity in mids
- slightly wider soundstage
- tiny bit of tightening on the bass

I have some felts / cork / vape cotton etc. lying around, and I'm pretty handy with that stuff - I'd prefer not to swap pads at the moment if possible, so I'd prefer to focus on the outer side or applying felt to inside of pads etc. Any advice much appreciated!!

Attachments

• DSC_0666.JPG
    DSC_0666.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0667.JPG
    DSC_0667.JPG
    804.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0668.JPG
    DSC_0668.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Feb 11, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #1,220 of 1,409
Hello all! I'm new here. These 1060 threads are a great source of info and inspiration!

Long story short, I bought some 2nd hand m1060c from eBay and they arrived today. On the whole, they blow away the AKG K702 I wanted to replace, so that's great!

The previous owner did an open back conversion (see pics) and it has standard pads on. I also have the original cups and foams etc. if needed, but open back is fine as they'll just be living in my studio.

Now... I wondered if any of you could advise what mods would best achieve the following:
- a bit more top end and high mids
- a bit more clarity in mids
- slightly wider soundstage
- tiny bit of tightening on the bass

I have some felts / cork / vape cotton etc. lying around, and I'm pretty handy with that stuff - I'd prefer not to swap pads at the moment if possible, so I'd prefer to focus on the outer side or applying felt to inside of pads etc. Any advice much appreciated!!

Welcome to the thread and the M1060C life. I've got 2 pair at the moment, 1 open and 1 closed, both modded heavily. The thing that helped me gain some better highs and wider stage was to remove the little rectangle of tape material over the driver and do the fuzzor mod (see pics below). I used to have it done on both sides of the driver, but I recently added in the THIS fazor/pad adapter mod and removed the felt from that side. Since your grills already have speaker cloth on them, you won't have to worry about any dust getting in the driver. I know you said you didn't want to remove your pads at the moment, but removing that rectangle of tape on the ear pad side will help with the mids and highs as well. Plus pads are an easy way to tune the bass in these headphones. I've found that the ZMF Eikon perforated lambskin pads tighten the bass a good bit if that is your goal. I use Audeze Vegan pads because I'm a bit of a basshead/audiophile hybrid I guess, and I like a good rumble. Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you do with your set!

My 2 pair of M1060C:
2021-02-11.jpg

Fuzzor mod - before, after glue removal, and with felt fuzzor:
2021-02-11 (1).jpg2021-02-11 (3).jpg2021-02-11 (2).jpg

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #1,221 of 1,409
Thanks for the welcome and the advice!

Great stuff, I was hoping the fuzzor would help -- that's a super easy one, so I'll do that in the next day or so.

I'll probably replace pads eventually, but want to avoid the expense right now. Will putting some felt around the inside of the pad help?

Also, I've seen people filling in around the driver with felt and stuffing the holes around the cables with cotton... What effect does that have?

And I wondered if I should do away with the metal grills entirely, and just stretch some speaker material over the wooden hoops?

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #1,222 of 1,409
...I'll probably replace pads eventually, but want to avoid the expense right now. Will putting some felt around the inside of the pad help?

Also, I've seen people filling in around the driver with felt and stuffing the holes around the cables with cotton... What effect does that have?

And I wondered if I should do away with the metal grills entirely, and just stretch some speaker material over the wooden hoops?

I've not tried the first 2 so I can't say. But for me one of the most fun things is trying out mods and seeing what they do, so I say give it a shot and see if you like what you hear. The metal portion of your grills may have some effect on the sound due to reflections. You could easily removed the grill and try the headphones without the grill to see if the metal is causing any issues. That way you would know before you modified the grills.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #1,223 of 1,409
Just a heads up for anyone who has their eyes on these, it appears the M1060C is on sale again for $250.

Feb 27, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #1,224 of 1,409
Just picked a pair of these up. They came with the stock wood cups and the very open 3D printed plates. Was really pleased with how they sounded, especially open. I like them more than my modded T50RP's, though I do think the T50's are pretty close. And they're way lighter, so better for portable use and really long listening sessions (IE working all day). Otherwise, I'll be putting these on my head for shorter listening sessions.

Is the fuzzor mod worth doing on these? I don't notice the shoutiness in vocals I've read about, though I know that's more prominent on the regular 1060's.

Also, what mods to the cups work? Has anyone tried lining the cups with adhesive foam instead of keep the foam discs in there? What about clay? Using cotton as dampening material?

Tried searching but this thread is LARGE.

Edit: I did find a post where someone said to remove the thick felt disc when using the wood cups and I agree that they sound better this way. Sound is a little closer to how they sound open.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #1,225 of 1,409
Well, I've figured out that these have some channel imbalance issues. Right driver is a bit quieter than the left. I'm able to compensate using the Audio MIDI Setup on the Macbook though, so not really a huge deal.

Mar 3, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #1,226 of 1,409
Well, I've figured out that these have some channel imbalance issues. Right driver is a bit quieter than the left. I'm able to compensate using the Audio MIDI Setup on the Macbook though, so not really a huge deal.
I think mine might have a slight imbalance too, very slight though. I think I've read that the stock cables are pretty fragile and usually the culprit for an imbalance

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #1,227 of 1,409
I think mine might have a slight imbalance too, very slight though. I think I've read that the stock cables are pretty fragile and usually the culprit for an imbalance
Yeah, I actually had what happened to someone else happen to me, turned the volume up and the channel imbalance went away. I know there are some QC issues with these but hopefully the driver doesn't fail. Wonder how much Monoprice would charge to replace it if it does fail. They sound really damn good for the $200 I paid though, so hopefully I get some use out of them.

May 6, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #1,228 of 1,409
Anyone here know a good way to replace the driver tape with something less restrictive, if it exists? I just pulled the foam from behind the earcups, and that one change so far has been huge for midrange clarity. I'm not going to say it's a must-do until I give it more time to iron out any placebo, but I want to go that little bit further without leaving the inside of the driver totally exposed from the inside (I've had the displeasure of cleaning a K240 that had bunches of hair in the driver, dirt finds a way).

May 6, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #1,229 of 1,409
Anyone here know a good way to replace the driver tape with something less restrictive, if it exists? I just pulled the foam from behind the earcups, and that one change so far has been huge for midrange clarity. I'm not going to say it's a must-do until I give it more time to iron out any placebo, but I want to go that little bit further without leaving the inside of the driver totally exposed from the inside (I've had the displeasure of cleaning a K240 that had bunches of hair in the driver, dirt finds a way).

There is all kinds of acoustically transparent fabrics out there. Amazon sells some, like THIS one. I have a similar material on my grill side, and the ear pads I have came with a material across the back of the pad that protects my driver from debris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back