Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Dec 13, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #1,186 of 1,409
I've been running my M1060C stock since I got it many years ago(well, except the replacement hifiman headband from adorama) and have been loving it. Sound isolation is not great for a closed back headphone because the wood cups definitely don't seal tightly, but there is enough to block out the noise of my computer which makes a rather big difference in practice. The clarity that planar brings is spectacular. I've been to a few headphone meets and the sound signature of these headphones is quite different than what I've tried from HiFiMan and Audeze, but with how often these go on sale I can't complain. There's enough bass in my opinion, but I started off with bass light headphones and therefore it's hard for me to really like bass heavy headphones - e.g. WH1000XM3s are too bassy for me without EQ.

I designed the open back mod on thingiverse initially, tried it out, and ended up prefering the M1060C closed. Could be that I'm just weird, but modded or not I think these are a great buy if you can get them on sale ~$260 or less.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #1,188 of 1,409
How are people getting the screws out of the wood cups without stripping the heads? Mine must have been installed with air tools they are so tight.

Curious about this myself as they have gone on sale for $239 again. VERY torn between these and the m1070s, but hoping to pull the trigger on one or the other this week for some chill listening over the holiday break.

Would likely keep the backs closed until next year and then possibly have two sets of cups. But the wear/tear on parts if swapping semi-frequently has me a bit concerned for the long run.

Seems the 1060c > 1070 in bass and sound isolation (duh). 1070 > 1060c on most everything else from what I've read.

The only thing keeping me off the 1060c at this price point is the headband.

Choices.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #1,190 of 1,409
If Amazon would price match these bad boys already, I'd be joining the party here. I really want to give these a crack and Monoprice sent me a bottom dollar offer on their eBay store even lower than the advertised sale price. But man, after reading this whole thread I gotta say, I feel like these are the very definition of gambling. I have read wildly varying reports on build quality (as it relates to sound) way beyond the usual "I'm not a fan of this sound signature".

Y'all have pretty much convinced me I should snag a set and a Periapt cable and be done for a few years.

Literally the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is that inconsistency and the unknown of dealing with a potential RMA for "subjective issues" with Monoprice.

Gotta figure out if it's this or saving up for a pair of E-MU Teaks. Really wish Monoprice was more consistent in their builds, even if they raised their prices slightly. Everything about these cans makes sense for me otherwise, though. Closed: Check. Great Bass Extension: Check. Laid Back: Check. Pretty Dang Good Soundstage for Closed Back: Check.

I'm not really a tinkerer, but the possibility of swapping closed for open from time to time is even appealing to me.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #1,192 of 1,409
It would be very self-serving to point out that there is at least one M1060C for sale advertised in the Headphones for Sale / Trade forum (and elsewhere) priced intentionally low.

Hehe. Thanks AJ. That is, indeed, a very fair deal. I suspect you will move them quickly. Monoprice has made it almost ridiculously cheap to buy them new (for me) at this point. But someone needs to hop on your pair and go to town with the mods!

Dec 18, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #1,193 of 1,409
So I took my M1060C's off the shelf recently, I'd moved to electrostats for the last 6 months, because while I liked the way they looked - I couldn't get them to seal or isolate well while closed. Worse, they were horribly uncomfortable. The clamp was too tight for me, and after about an hour, a hot spot from the center of the band formed. While Monoprice's idea of cushion was a good one, putting the center cushion where they did was not smart.

My first attempt to make them more comfortable is below. Please disregard the bottom bolts. Unless you're going to mod the headband a lot more extensively - there's no reason to undo the bottom section. I did it so I could more forcibly bend the arc to reduce clamp, it worked, but overall the fit was now too loose.

The more important fix was swapping the suspension strap upside down so the smooth section contacted my head. You undo the two screws on each side that face bottom. Then you can carefully pull out the small plastic tab, which holds in an aluminum bracket folded around the strap. Be very careful unfolding it. A dent in that bracket allows you to adjust length. If you carefully undo it - and pull apart the center rivet, you can invert the strap the way I show. I did not replace the center rivet - I just folded the aluminum back carefully - and that seems to hold well enough.

The end result was OK. The hot spot was mostly gone - but the headband looks even worse, I always thought it was kind of cheap looking. And as mentioned before, the fit was loose - it became hard to get a good seal.

20201215_082205.jpg

Dec 18, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #1,194 of 1,409
This following fix was more satisfying for me. I've previously bought 3 hifiman He560 headbands to mod other cans, but there are two things I disliked about them. Modifying clamp or swivel for angled pads, requires bending the headband, which can then make it harder to adjust length. Also - the bending shows "creases" in the paint. Besides that - adjusting length leaves a silver line on the inside of the band, many people have reported that. So I decided to try something new.

I bought a set of HP Gaming Headphones to cannibalize, off of Amazon for $24 new. The only negative is that they're one size fits all - the cushioned suspension strap is connected to bungees and is otherwise not adjustable. Fortunately for me, when assembled to the M1060C cups, the length was just about perfect. If I want to make them adjustible, I may replace the bungees with loops - and add pegs to the headband. When attached the way I show, they freely swivel front to back for angled pads.

The hardest part was probably disassembling the lower nuts on the M1060C's - I found it nearly impossible to do without destroying the nuts in the process, and surrounding hardware can easily be scratched.

The end result is shown below and is a big improvement in comfort for me. The cushioned strap works awesome - I've worn them up to 4 hours in a row and have zero hotspot on the top of my head. The clamp may be slightly strong, I'll bend the arc's maybe - but I definitely get a better seal now. I also think they look a lot better than the stock headband, even if parts of them are plastic.

20201215_165040.jpg

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #1,195 of 1,409
Well folks, I dove in on a pair of m1060cs yesterday. Just too low to pass up. I clearly failed the marshmallow test, because the E-MU Teaks are still on my hitlist, but I have read too many positive accounts of the 1060c and have never heard a (headphone) planar in my life. I also scooped up an Audiophile Ninja cable to swap for the apparently poor stock one.

The headband will have to suffice at first. And I'll have to push it through my lil' Fiio K1 Mk1 until next month, at least, when I'll likely pick up a Magni to drive it. That last choice will be the prelude to grabbing a Modi and a Loki in the coming months. I'm curious to see how the c performs and then I'll decide whether I want to stick with it, mod it, or sell it in lieu of the Teaks.

Good to be part of the thread, even if I'm the last person to the party. The set and the cable should both be here prior to Christmas. But either way, I'm gonna get some good listening (and a little gaming) in during the week between Christmas and New Years'. Some *actual* time off for the first time in many years. I'll report back with my impressions from a true novice's ears.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #1,196 of 1,409
I have been enjoying my m1060cs since Christmas. But the headband is killing me.

Any suggestions on a simple headband pad that fits and is doing the trick for anyone? Or a brand you've used in the past?

Eventually I may mod it, but for now, just trying to get some relief. Otherwise, I am loving these things. A little EQ on the low end to boost the bass and I'm a happy camper.

Jan 4, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #1,197 of 1,409
I have been enjoying my m1060cs since Christmas. But the headband is killing me.

Any suggestions on a simple headband pad that fits and is doing the trick for anyone? Or a brand you've used in the past?

Eventually I may mod it, but for now, just trying to get some relief. Otherwise, I am loving these things. A little EQ on the low end to boost the bass and I'm a happy camper.

So I know this is probably more involved that you want to go with it but this is the headband pad that I made for mine. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...anar-headphones.820107/page-222#post-13459084

Basically, the best solution I found is adding extra padding. A simple solution would be to find some random foam or batting and then wrap something like an ace bandage around it to keep it on there. It won't be pretty but that should give you some relief from that hot spot.

Most of the commercial ones (either zipper, snaps, or velcro) are designed for single width headbands (e.g. Byerdynamic DT series, M50X) and so might not be wide enough in the middle for the flared shape of the M1060C headstrap and would have floppy bits at the narrower ends. A knitted one would probably fit given the dimensions, but those don't have a ton of padding and adding some under it it might be a tight fit in the middle. https://smile.amazon.com/Replacement-Headphone-Audio-Technica-Panasonice-Installation/dp/B08M5MRZG6/

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #1,199 of 1,409
Thanks y'all. And yeah, theangelboy, there is no way I'm adept enough to tackle that. But...my sister-in-law most certainly is (fashion design). If you are okay with me sharing your diagram with her, I am going to ask her if she can whip something up for me.

Meanwhile, I will look up and possibly grab those nuggets. I am definitely not at full extension, so hoping the band/pad will help. The nugs help enough to wear longer, SolaVirtus?

Appreciate the responses!

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,200 of 1,409
Thanks y'all. And yeah, theangelboy, there is no way I'm adept enough to tackle that. But...my sister-in-law most certainly is (fashion design). If you are okay with me sharing your diagram with her, I am going to ask her if she can whip something up for me.

Meanwhile, I will look up and possibly grab those nuggets. I am definitely not at full extension, so hoping the band/pad will help. The nugs help enough to wear longer, SolaVirtus?

Appreciate the responses!

Absolutely. Anyone and everyone is free to use it. I would love to see some pics of what the outcome is. :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back