Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Jun 26, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #1,096 of 1,409
(Sundara - veiled mids, upper glare, almost just below a grainy dry tonality on the set I demo-ed.)
Well, are you running 1060C cups on or off for a start ?
Edit : read this early, so I think you have cups off from above comments...the only thing for me was that ringing in the mids with 1060C (ortho wall), which looks like it has been tracked down with the above mod behind the pad (kudos to pad-roller above) .

Since you mentioned it, I might as well post the plots.

M1060_Oval_Waterfall.jpgM1060_MFM_Waterfall.jpg

The mids from about 1kHz to 2kHz are cleaner without the plastic frame that's on the stock pads. Other than that, the pad type itself didn't have much effect. (Note that the plot with the ovals on has slightly higher overall volume so the plots and their colors are not 100% directly comparable here.)

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #1,097 of 1,409
I thought I would check in and provide my observations about the M1060C I recently owned, and the reasons I did not keep them. Based on the user reviews here, when I saw them for sale at $250, I felt it was a low risk proposition. I was drawn to them because I wanted a pair of closed back to be used at my job/office. Before promoting them to office use, I compared them at home to the LCD2C, DT1990, and Ananda, connected to a Schiit Modi 3 & Lyr 3.

The good: For the first few days I couldn't stop picking up the M1060C. My initial impressions were the bass was AWESOME. The bass slam exceeded the LCD2C, and the DT1990's bass seemed boomy in comparison. To my arguably untrained ears, the sound stage seemed wide and comparable to the other three open back cans. The background however, surprisingly, was much blacker and quiet because of the closed back design eliminating the majority of the ambient noise around me, and that sensation seemed to add to my subjective enjoyment of the sound quality. I could easily see myself keeping these for the office, if I could at least fix the headband (more on that below).

The bad: After a few days, however, I noticed ear fatigue. These are definitely not "flat" headphones. There are some uneven frequency response areas, and my ears found it less enjoyable to listen as the days went on. The yummy bass meant I often turned up the volume, which meant the uneven mids/treble spots wore me down faster. I found myself reaching for the even tempered Ananda a lot more for general music listening, and then reaching for these on anything featuring nice bass, and skipping over the LCD2C entirely since the M1060C delivered better in that area. Secondly, I found these lacked the same level of instrument separation and ability to keep up with complex passages vs the other three. The detail retreival wasn't there either, comparatively. Of course, the other three headphones were more than double the price, so that should be expected.

The ugly: The headband is a topsy-turvy, flip-flopping mess. I was concerned the ear cups would bounce into each other and scratch or dent one another each time I picked the headphones up. I dreaded taking these to the office, where I'd have to exercise the utmost care in picking them up or setting them down. I came really appreciate the simplicity of a headband design in the likes of the Beyerdynamic or Focal.
The microphonics in the cable were non-stop. For office use, I knew this would be a constant distraction as I swivel in my chair and rotate from workstation to workstation. Easy enough to replace, but replacing the headband + cable was rapidly beginning to change the value proposition of the M1060C. I began to appreciate the single-sided, coiled cable that my current/ancient office cans (Sony MDR-V6) used, and which was also present in the DT1990.
Further, my M1060C arrived in a box filled with mold spots and it absolutely STANK. Stank like cat urine. The ear pads or the foam on/around the drivers seemed to be the culprit. In all of my 20+ years of ordering things from internet, I've never smelt anything so foul. They reeked enough to make it unbearable to use the cans for the first few days, despite several rounds of light washing and airing out under fans and sitting outdoors. My eyes watered and my skin slightly burned when wearing them for the first few days. The insidious smell was so foul, I would feel mildly sick when listening. Even after 10 days, their foul odor was still around 25 percent present.

Verdict: After about 2 weeks I returned them. I was seeking a pair of good value closed backs, and I was not interested in turning these into open backs and modding the crap out of them. I couldn't help but feel these are deeply flawed headphones for what they are. So much potential. I thought about keeping them as a sort of reference for the bass I like, but the headband and other flaws made me feel like it wasn't worth the trouble.

Jul 2, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #1,098 of 1,409
They never should have put cups on them IMO....scoop and peaks....and that ridiculous super thick felt.....let these puppies breathe... Would have gained more traction with grills.
They should revisit them again with grills and new headband...doubtful though, the market has spoken just like above.

Jul 2, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #1,099 of 1,409
Akchually... they are the best selling audio product on monoprice.eu.

Am exceedingly happy with my two sets and the modded sound in particular. There's nothing like it on the market. They've been the most easy and fun to mod too.

Jul 2, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #1,100 of 1,409
Really ? Never have guessed it, with how quiet the thread is...!

Jul 3, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #1,101 of 1,409
I thought I would check in and provide my observations about the M1060C I recently owned, and the reasons I did not keep them. Based on the user reviews here, when I saw them for sale at $250, I felt it was a low risk proposition. I was drawn to them because I wanted a pair of closed back to be used at my job/office. Before promoting them to office use, I compared them at home to the LCD2C, DT1990, and Ananda, connected to a Schiit Modi 3 & Lyr 3.

The good: For the first few days I couldn't stop picking up the M1060C. My initial impressions were the bass was AWESOME. The bass slam exceeded the LCD2C, and the DT1990's bass seemed boomy in comparison. To my arguably untrained ears, the sound stage seemed wide and comparable to the other three open back cans. The background however, surprisingly, was much blacker and quiet because of the closed back design eliminating the majority of the ambient noise around me, and that sensation seemed to add to my subjective enjoyment of the sound quality. I could easily see myself keeping these for the office, if I could at least fix the headband (more on that below).

The bad: After a few days, however, I noticed ear fatigue. These are definitely not "flat" headphones. There are some uneven frequency response areas, and my ears found it less enjoyable to listen as the days went on. The yummy bass meant I often turned up the volume, which meant the uneven mids/treble spots wore me down faster. I found myself reaching for the even tempered Ananda a lot more for general music listening, and then reaching for these on anything featuring nice bass, and skipping over the LCD2C entirely since the M1060C delivered better in that area. Secondly, I found these lacked the same level of instrument separation and ability to keep up with complex passages vs the other three. The detail retreival wasn't there either, comparatively. Of course, the other three headphones were more than double the price, so that should be expected.

The ugly: The headband is a topsy-turvy, flip-flopping mess. I was concerned the ear cups would bounce into each other and scratch or dent one another each time I picked the headphones up. I dreaded taking these to the office, where I'd have to exercise the utmost care in picking them up or setting them down. I came really appreciate the simplicity of a headband design in the likes of the Beyerdynamic or Focal.
The microphonics in the cable were non-stop. For office use, I knew this would be a constant distraction as I swivel in my chair and rotate from workstation to workstation. Easy enough to replace, but replacing the headband + cable was rapidly beginning to change the value proposition of the M1060C. I began to appreciate the single-sided, coiled cable that my current/ancient office cans (Sony MDR-V6) used, and which was also present in the DT1990.
Further, my M1060C arrived in a box filled with mold spots and it absolutely STANK. Stank like cat urine. The ear pads or the foam on/around the drivers seemed to be the culprit. In all of my 20+ years of ordering things from internet, I've never smelt anything so foul. They reeked enough to make it unbearable to use the cans for the first few days, despite several rounds of light washing and airing out under fans and sitting outdoors. My eyes watered and my skin slightly burned when wearing them for the first few days. The insidious smell was so foul, I would feel mildly sick when listening. Even after 10 days, their foul odor was still around 25 percent present.

Verdict: After about 2 weeks I returned them. I was seeking a pair of good value closed backs, and I was not interested in turning these into open backs and modding the crap out of them. I couldn't help but feel these are deeply flawed headphones for what they are. So much potential. I thought about keeping them as a sort of reference for the bass I like, but the headband and other flaws made me feel like it wasn't worth the trouble.
I have two pairs of Monolith M1060C and they sound absolutely amazing. M1060C and M1060C open. Both are with added Fazors plates an both with replaced original, ugly and dysfunctional headbands with Hifiman ones. Now I have two daily headphones for every occasion and my HEDDphone connected to 45 tube amp for special time of enjoyment. I really don't care to much about frequency respond and bumps on headphones of $250 especially if they sound great like 1060C does. Flat response, show me one pair of headphones with really flat frequency response. They don't exist and if they do that doesn't mean they sound good. HEDDphone has a bums on 6 and 10K but so what, they sound like heaven. And think that our ears and brain don't actually react on frequency response bumps like our eyes do.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #1,102 of 1,409
I have to pairs of Monolith M1060C and they sound absolutely amazing. M1060C and M1060C open. Both are with added Fazors plates an both with replaced original, ugly and dysfunctional headbands with Hifiman ones. Now I have two daily headphones for every occasion and my HEDDphone connected to 45 tube amp for special time of enjoyment. I really don't care to much about frequency respond and bumps on headphones of $250 especially if they sound great like 1060C does. Flat response, show me one pair of headphones with really flat frequency response. They don't exist and if they do that doesn't mean they sound good. HEDDphone has a bums on 6 and 10K but so what, they sound like heaven. And think that our ears and brain don't actually react on frequency response bumps like our eyes do.
I'm glad you like yours, and that is all that matters. I also agree, the value at $250 is hard to complain about.
However bumps on frequency may matter to some people. A lot. If some frequency(ies) are 3 db or more (2x) as loud as others, this can turn pleasure into pain for some people. Maybe yours don't do that, or maybe your ears don't register it same way mine would. Who knows? Who cares? You've got great headphones for a great price.
My closed back search continues.

Jul 4, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #1,103 of 1,409
Maybe yours don't do that, or maybe your ears don't register it same way mine would. Who knows? Who cares?
Definitely, even if we all have 15 years old undamaged eardrums, our ear canal resonnance can make a very noticeable difference about timbres and frequency response. Here are quick examples (measurements) of ear canal resonance influences for 10 individuals listening to white noise with a Senn HD600 :

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #1,104 of 1,409
Definitely, even if we all have 15 years old undamaged eardrums, our ear canal resonnance can make a very noticeable difference about timbres and frequency response. Here are quick examples (measurements) of ear canal resonance influences for 10 individuals listening to white noise with a Senn HD600 :

Excellent video reference, thank you for sharing. I had actually began to wonder about some of these principals in my mind (lateral headphone positioning and unnatural headphone sound stages vs front staging irl and concert halls), so it was especially apropos.

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #1,105 of 1,409
Ok, here comes a big time pad recommendation. These pads: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057605882.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d1ZGXiP

I had them lying around in the 105mm size and decided to try them while trying some different pads on the M1060C.
Since posting my mod in early May i've been looking for ways to further tune down the upper mids but nothing has really worked until now.

I only had this pad in the 105mm size as a leftover from my HF580 mods, so I haven't tested the 110mm size which has slightly different internal dimensions. Ordered one of those as well, should have it in a few weeks.

Here is a comparison graph that has the graph with the stock pads, with the sheepskin & pleather m1060c pads from the CP Yang store on aliexpress and these 105mm oval shaped pads from the link above:
(The graphs naturally include my other mods described in the previous post.)

M1060C_Pad_Shootout.jpg

These oval pads lift up the relative positions of bass and treble compared to the upper mids in particular. Treble detail is also improved. I also like sub-bass to be higher than midbass which is what the pads also give.

Received the 110mm version to try out today.
On my modded M1060Cs The 110mm were directly inferior in all areas: sub-bass boost gone, mids sucked out and lacking (!), treble far less balanced/accurate.

With the 105mm pads however, these are easily my favorite headphones and there's nothing like them (see quoted post for details).
I did notice that the same shop has the same kind of pads also in pleather and velour top. Decided to order those in the 105mm size as well.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #1,106 of 1,409
Received the 110mm version to try out today.
On my modded M1060Cs The 110mm were directly inferior in all areas: sub-bass boost gone, mids sucked out and lacking (!), treble far less balanced/accurate.

With the 105mm pads however, these are easily my favorite headphones and there's nothing like them (see quoted post for details).
I did notice that the same shop has the same kind of pads also in pleather and velour top. Decided to order those in the 105mm size as well.
Are those 105mm pads able to sick on easily? I'm prepping to buy a pair of 1060c but know I'm looking to open, change the headband and roll the pads.

Jul 8, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #1,107 of 1,409
Are those 105mm pads able to sick on easily? I'm prepping to buy a pair of 1060c but know I'm looking to open, change the headband and roll the pads.

I currently have mine on just with the residual glue from the stock pads. Not the strongest hold but ok for now. I'll eventually attach them with thin two-sided tape but want to try the pleather and velour top versions first.

Jul 8, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #1,108 of 1,409
I currently have mine on just with the residual glue from the stock pads. Not the strongest hold but ok for now. I'll eventually attach them with thin two-sided tape but want to try the pleather and velour top versions first.
Okay thanks! I've seen a few people use what was there and it held fine like yours. Did you happen to modify the strap? I've been looking at a few different ways to mod it, since I knew it was a pain on my pair of 1060 when I had them.

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #1,109 of 1,409

Hey, cool video. Thanks for that!

I must have rather mildly resonant ear canals because the 600 sounds very natural to me, and is perhaps my all time favorite overall headphone for tonality of mids and highs. Actually I'm also quite sensitive to treble, and don't like anything much brighter than the 600 (I wonder if that's also related to ear canal physiology).

And on that note, I have been loving the M1060C that I got a couple of months ago. They were my first planars and I'm just crazy about 'em. I can't even really put my finger on what it is. Maybe I'm just into the planar sound, whatever that might mean. I think the clarity is probably a big part of it. The weight and speed of the low end is really cool too.

That scary looking peak around 2k has not been a problem for me either. I know it's a deal breaker for many, and I often shave a couple dB off in the 2k range with eq, but not always. For some recordings and when the mood hits me just so, I rather like the extra push it gives to vocals and certain instruments.

I think the M1060C is a real bargain, and one of the best hidden secrets in headphones. (though I guess I do understand why some might be put off by the form factor)

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #1,110 of 1,409
(Sundara - veiled mids, upper glare, almost just below a grainy dry tonality on the set I demo-ed.)
Well, are you running 1060C cups on or off for a start ?
Edit : read this early, so I think you have cups off from above comments...the only thing for me was that ringing in the mids with 1060C (ortho wall), which looks like it has been tracked down with the above mod behind the pad (kudos to pad-roller above) .
I do have to say however, that my music is pure electronic, so that is my subjective baseline for judging cans....anyroad, they are nearest to old Audeze LCD 2.0 for my listening taste.

I was going to pick up Quad Era-1 to have a listen, but just feel they will not bring anything more at twice the price. So 2 sets of 1060C will do me in case 1 dies....bit of pad-rolling on 1060c, and more focus on planar IEMs to get something like 1060C in that format.

Right I opened them up immediately. I do hear a lot of comparisons between 1060c (open) and LCD2. I guess they hold their own with that sound up into many multiples of their price. That's great. But I realize if they are comparable then maybe that particular sound signature just might not be for me... I havent tried any Audeze but would like to. They have so many models and variants though it would be hard to judge from just one or two maybe. Plus I'd need to have some solid time to adapt to the sound probably.

I just felt with the Sundara's they sounded more right when I put them on, besides a bit of harsh treble of course. But I'm mostly used to speakers, studio monitors, HD600 and DT880s and some IEMs like Etymotic; so make of that what you will.

When I got used to them I do love it and have less cons than pros, which I just can't say the same about the 1060c's. It's all subjective of course. But I wouldn't label any decently respected headphone as awful because of my impression of it. I just accept it isn't for me. Everyone has their house sound and I'm sure sundara has more similarities than differences with HFM's upper models and I dont hear too many complaints about sound with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back