Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Apr 13, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #406 of 1,409
How would opening the backs of these decrease the mids? If anything, it would greatly increase them unless you planned on using additional dampening materials. That 1.69 K spike is the main reason why I am holding back on buying these. Additionally, I have a great set of open backs and wanted a nice planar closed back...so modding to open is not something I would plan on doing. Also, has there been any consensus on pad rolling with the M1060C?

Apr 14, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #407 of 1,409
How would opening the backs of these decrease the mids? If anything, it would greatly increase them unless you planned on using additional dampening materials. That 1.69 K spike is the main reason why I am holding back on buying these. Additionally, I have a great set of open backs and wanted a nice planar closed back...so modding to open is not something I would plan on doing. Also, has there been any consensus on pad rolling with the M1060C?

IMO its a fantastic closed back, but everyones fixated on m1060 v3.

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #408 of 1,409
IMO its a fantastic closed back, but everyones fixated on m1060 v3.

Yeah, I agree. They are great closed cans. Just need a little bit of EQ to tame the 1.7KHz spike. Amazing imaging. Fantastic soundstage for closed. I sold my MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed because the couldn't match M1060Cs in imaging and soundstage.

I want to try them open to see how they compare to M1060s, because if they are better, I'm seriously considering having one pair of M1060Cs open and a second pair closed.

Will opening them fix the mids? I'm no sound engineer, but one of the reviewers earlier said that the mids peak was caused by the inherent acoustics of closed cans. Maybe he was wrong. We'll see.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #412 of 1,409
I think stimuz used “m1060 v3” as a nickname for an M1060C modded to be open back.

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #414 of 1,409
Mine have been open back for quite some time now, everyone said I was crazy at first but they are amazing. I like the v3 naming. I really don’t think they redesigned the driver that much and didn’t from the gitgo. As soon as I heard them open back the wood went back in the box and just been looking ways to make them even better. Now they are at the point where I don’t think I would change a thing on them. I got my zmf suede pads in them, I replaced the felt paper that covered the back with square organic Cotten pads that you can get on amazon along with honey comb open backs. I think the only other thing I might test out is swapping out the big round pad with something

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #415 of 1,409
Mine have been open back for quite some time now, everyone said I was crazy at first but they are amazing. I like the v3 naming. I really don’t think they redesigned the driver that much and didn’t from the gitgo. As soon as I heard them open back the wood went back in the box and just been looking ways to make them even better. Now they are at the point where I don’t think I would change a thing on them. I got my zmf suede pads in them, I replaced the felt paper that covered the back with square organic Cotten pads that you can get on amazon along with honey comb open backs. I think the only other thing I might test out is swapping out the big round pad with something

I just think peoples expectations for closed back sound signatures are unrealistic and driver design likely won't make as much of a difference than toying with sound dampening materials or EQing if you're unhappy with the signature. I personally really like that these sound (IMO) semi open while being closed enough to silence my keystrokes, but I can't complain if unscrewing 4 screws is all it takes to convert a closed back to an open back, that's damn nice for consumers. What I really wish is if the modders took a look at the m565c which have had ZERO attention since release. I haven't heard a peep about them, not a thing.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #416 of 1,409
I didn't dislike them as a closed back headphone. In fact I thought they were the best closed headphone I had heard. I had originally purchased them to use at work and since have moved to a position that is work from home, so I no longer have a need for closed back. That's why I decided to try opening them up. I expected them to get bass light with an improved sounds stage since that's been my experience when you open up a closed back headphone. To my surprise, the bass did not disappear. In fact you could say it improved since you can EQ the bass up twice as much as previously once they're opened.

I fully believe that opening up the 1060c is giving a sneak preview of the next gen of the open back M1060.

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #417 of 1,409
M1060 vs M1060C? I'm thinking about getting rid of my HD700s for one of them.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #419 of 1,409
I have both. M1060c and M1060 are very different flavors sound wise. But, if I were to spend the money again, I'd go with the M1060c only. IMHO as a closed back although it's a little warmer and doesn't have the soundstage of the open, it's still very very good. However, once you take the back off of the C, that's when it really shines. I honestly believe they're going to release the m1060c without any changes other than the back and call it the m1065.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #420 of 1,409
I have both. M1060c and M1060 are very different flavors sound wise. But, if I were to spend the money again, I'd go with the M1060c only. IMHO as a closed back although it's a little warmer and doesn't have the soundstage of the open, it's still very very good. However, once you take the back off of the C, that's when it really shines. I honestly believe they're going to release the m1060c without any changes other than the back and call it the m1065.

nah, its gonna be the 1060 ti

Users who are viewing this thread

Back