Monitor Speakers for my PC?
Mar 20, 2014 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ClubSpartanGB

New Head-Fier
I've searched the forums about this, but most topics seem to be specific to each user's end purpose.

So.....after using my computer's built-in headphone output to run an even crappier pair of cheap PC multimedia speakers for years, I think it's time to step it up.

I'm looking at purchasing an Audioengine D1 outboard dac and pairing it with some speakers. I'm also aware that using monitor speakers is primarily for production, and I intend to use these mostly for music playback. So maybe I should be looking at some multimedia speakers instead?

I read somewhere, the sound from monitors lack's "colour" for music playback, however I quite like the idea of running the D1's RCA outputs into a pair of M-Audio AV40's or something similar. I already have a high-quailty RCA cable & plenty of lossless music. I guess i'd want an accurate digital sound in the PC room, as I already have a good analog set-up in the front room which i'm sure offers a different kind of sound.

The other option is looking at a pair of Bose Companion multimedia speakers, B&W MM1s, or something in this realm of desktop hardware.

My budget is around £250 & I plan to listen to a wide array of music including much heavy metal, if that makes a difference :)

Mar 20, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 13
  I've searched the forums about this, but most topics seem to be specific to each user's end purpose.
So.....after using my computer's built-in headphone output to run an even crappier pair of cheap PC multimedia speakers for years, I think it's time to step it up.
I'm looking at purchasing an Audioengine D1 outboard dac and pairing it with some speakers. I'm also aware that using monitor speakers is primarily for production, and I intend to use these mostly for music playback. So maybe I should be looking at some multimedia speakers instead?
I read somewhere, the sound from monitors lack's "colour" for music playback, however I quite like the idea of running the D1's RCA outputs into a pair of M-Audio AV40's or something similar. I already have a high-quailty RCA cable & plenty of lossless music. I guess i'd want an accurate digital sound in the PC room, as I already have a good analog set-up in the front room which i'm sure offers a different kind of sound.
The other option is looking at a pair of Bose Companion multimedia speakers, B&W MM1s, or something in this realm of desktop hardware.
My budget is around £250 & I plan to listen to a wide array of music including much heavy metal, if that makes a difference :)

Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card (used is fine), leaves more in your budget for headphones.

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 13
You should also look into Epoz Aktimate Micro.
They're very good sounding speakers for the price and also come with a good number of features (USB input, built in DAC, iPod dock, etc).
The DAC is a very simplistic PCM270x chip, but it can still deliver quite creditable performance compared to other low budget DAC or soundcards.
You can use the speakers as they are, via USB input, they'll probably deliver better sound compared to on board.
Later on you can save up for a better quality DAC.

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks, i'll check these out. I'd rather not get a simple dac though, think maybe for £150 I should get a better external dac. Having the D1 would drive headphones nicely and offer more options than a built in one

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 13
Watch the Audioengine D1, it has a very weak headphone amplifier. Depending on the headphones you have it might not drive them too well.

I had to use 90% volume on the D1 to get an enjoyable listening level with the 250 Ohm DT880's. It was returned, the DAC is good the amp not so much in my case, with other headphones it might be ok.
:beerchug:

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 13
Is there any other's you'd recommend? I was also looking at the DragonFly v1.2, HRT Headstreamer and a few others, but i like the RCA & Toslink (192/24) options on the D1, the chip is also probably the most important thing as i'll be using powered speakers with it on the PC.

Headphones are T51p's, so the same Ohm rating

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #7 of 13
I use a tube amp for my DT 880's but if I was looking for a solid state the Audio-gd NFB 15.32 would be my first choice. It does everything the above amplifiers do and more, so have a look at it, it's something to consider.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 13
I'd recommend getting your choice of speakers right first mate. Then decide on an interface when you have a clearer idea of your long term needs.

Depending on how old or noise free your current PC is an outboard DAC will only make a difference to SQ varying from 'not much really' to 'surprisingly little'.

Whereas with near field speakers you enjoy many advantages. You are always in the sweet spot, more 'air' and 'space' than even the most expensive open back headphones and since you are so close you don't need so much power and depth that often brings problems in the average room.

I had a pair of AV40. Still have in fact although I did have to replace some caps myself. Your worries are unjustified. AV40 are voiced close to the audiophile  'smiley face' stereotype. Don't go down far even for 4" speakers but make up for it with a nice bump in the mid bass. compensated by a little roll off higher up. They sound like club speakers in miniature  Bumping and not strident. You get a lot for your money if they don't break down and you like the sound.

I liked the AV40 at the time and  I have to admit when I first got monitors it wasn't instant love at first sight. Didn't take long though to appreciate the more articulated bass and clear, clean detail. No chance I'd go back now.

Your budget of £250 is difficult. Taking something like the powered AV40 as a £100 starting point you can get something deeper and louder, something cleaner and more accurate or something better built and more reliable but you cannot get all 3, or even 2, for less than £400. I don't think so anyway. Be pleased to hear otherwise. So you are going to have to make some compromises.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #9 of 13
In terms of active monitors you could look into Presonus Eris E5, KRK RG5 G3, Yamaah HS5, Mackie MR5, M-Audio BX8.

You can pick up a pair of any of these for under £300 with careful shopping, assuming you are in the UK worth browsing prices at scan.com or DV247 who can also supply a soundcard or audio interface if you think you want to take that route.  Have used both with excellent delivery times, customer service and prices. 

For more info worth looking on soundonsound for product reviews, or gearslutz, or homerecording.com for more personal feedback and discussion just search the forums.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #10 of 13
I was in the same position as my ancient 2.1 Klipsch setup finally bit the dust last week. After a lot of research I ended up going with a pair of M-Audio BX5 D2s from Guitar Center (on sale for $99/ea) and couldn't be happier. I went in fully prepared to drop $300+ on some KRK's or JBL's but after hearing the BX5s I was sold. I have no intention of doing any type of recording or mixing and just wanted a quality pair of speakers for music and gaming and the BX5s gave me the sound I wanted. Plenty of bass and the clarity was amazing compared to what I had. I'm also using a Fiio E17 as an "interface" device between my mac/pc and the speakers.

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #11 of 13
  I had a pair of AV40. Still have in fact although I did have to replace some caps myself. Your worries are unjustified. AV40 are voiced close to the audiophile  'smiley face' stereotype. Don't go down far even for 4" speakers but make up for it with a nice bump in the mid bass. compensated by a little roll off higher up. They sound like club speakers in miniature  Bumping and not strident. You get a lot for your money if they don't break down and you like the sound.

I thought about an outboard DAC because of it's options really, like taking into the other room to use with other devices. Otherwise a PC soundcard by Asus or Creative would be an option, but it's always gonna be limited to use with a powered on PC.

I've been hearing about these M-Audio speakers breaking down frequently in other forums. Actually it was the M-Audio AV30 MKII's that were the main offenders, if you've had to replace stuff on them i'm thinking maybe not a good buy? The price tag is pretty appealing.
  In terms of active monitors you could look into Presonus Eris E5, KRK RG5 G3, Yamaah HS5, Mackie MR5, M-Audio BX8.

You can pick up a pair of any of these for under £300 with careful shopping, assuming you are in the UK worth browsing prices at scan.com or DV247 who can also supply a soundcard or audio interface if you think you want to take that route.  Have used both with excellent delivery times, customer service and prices. 

For more info worth looking on soundonsound for product reviews, or gearslutz, or homerecording.com for more personal feedback and discussion just search the forums.

I've noted all of these models down for further investigation, thanks. I'm in London so should be easy to hunt around DJ shops.

BX5 & BX8's i've seen alot about these. So far nobody has mentioned conventional multimedia speakers so i'm thinking monitors might be the way forward.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #13 of 13
  I was in the same position as my ancient 2.1 Klipsch setup finally bit the dust last week. After a lot of research I ended up going with a pair of M-Audio BX5 D2s from Guitar Center (on sale for $99/ea) and couldn't be happier. I went in fully prepared to drop $300+ on some KRK's or JBL's but after hearing the BX5s I was sold. I have no intention of doing any type of recording or mixing and just wanted a quality pair of speakers for music and gaming and the BX5s gave me the sound I wanted. Plenty of bass and the clarity was amazing compared to what I had. I'm also using a Fiio E17 as an "interface" device between my mac/pc and the speakers.

I am in the exacly same situation as you, between KRK's and JBL's, but really worried about their bass response.

It would be my first pair of monitor, so far I have used a 2.1 Corsair SP2200, but it went dead after 3 years or regular use.
The BX5 you mentioned, are the carbon or D2 version?

Just to mention it, here in Brazil it is really hard to find them locally, so hearing them to compare is out of question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back