Monitor Headphones?
Feb 14, 2013 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

msmuse101

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, first time posting here so I hope this is the right part of the forum to do this!
wink.gif

Just wanting some advice really.

I'm after some new headphones to use as portable monitors (preferably cup, not in ear) I'm a music Tech lecturer and I need something with a reliable fairly flat frequency response so I can be grading and mixing things from my laptop on the fly.
I'm currently using AKG k271s and as beautiful as they sound i wondered if there was anything out there that is a little flatter. I want something fairly similar price/style/quality wise with a flatter frequency response. The kind of thing that's comfortable enough to be wearing for hours with a nice, crisp detailed sound. something between the £100 to £150 mark would be my ideal budget.

Any ideas/thoughts/recommendations?

Thanks so much!
dt880smile.png

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 13
Sadly I live a 3 hour drive away from there, cheers for the offer though.

I've just been checking out the 8400s and they deff look to be bang on the money. We use KRK monitors in our studios at work and i've always been impressed with the sound they kick out(didn't even think to check out their headphones so a great shout there!). How do they compare to the ROKITs? Do they have a similar clarity?

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 13
There is a big difference. You get a closer (perhaps more compressed sound) with closed but you hear a lot less of the world and ambiance around you. I've always found it's down to preference. I'd always rather hear more of the music and less of the room so i've always worked with closed. Open gives you a bit of a truer sound but if you're working in a noisy environment, e.g. a classroom or a staff room like i do, they're no good. It's all down to what you want to use them for and where you're going to be using them. When in a quiet studio space I use monitor speakers but thats obviously not always practical.

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Sadly I live a 3 hour drive away from there, cheers for the offer though.

I've just been checking out the 8400s and they deff look to be bang on the money. We use KRK monitors in our studios at work and i've always been impressed with the sound they kick out(didn't even think to check out their headphones so a great shout there!). How do they compare to the ROKITs? Do they have a similar clarity?

Not all that similar to the Rokits. Detail is there, but the imaging and the low end of the RP6 or higher is lost. Bit like the RP5 sound squashed into a headphone. If you can find a music store, they might let you audition them for a while, that's how I got mine.

Feb 14, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #12 of 13
AKG k240m 600ohm should be good. there are alot on ebay used and with your £150, you can even buy two or three k240m!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back