monitor headphones?
Apr 9, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #16 of 33
The AKG K171 series I can be found quite cheap.

Two 'monitor' headphones both with a different sound signature are handy too. Sometimes the DF sounds 'polite' and my Pioneer Monitor 10R has a more 'raw' sound. I found this out while listening to Miles Davis' 'Bitches Brew.'

Good luck...

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #17 of 33
captian73;6544608 As monitor headphones said:
FWIR the Shure 840s don't have greatly reduced bass...or the m50...if anything, maybe an elevation! Even the AKG's are not supposed to have reduced lows... they're supposed to be neutral...but it's probably best not to open that can of worms.
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AKG K171 series I can be found quite cheap.

Two 'monitor' headphones both with a different sound signature are handy too. Sometimes the DF sounds 'polite' and my Pioneer Monitor 10R has a more 'raw' sound. I found this out while listening to Miles Davis' 'Bitches Brew.'

Good luck...

I can agree with that. I'm sure the same problem exists with monitor speakers. The 240DF sounds very neutral but it's on the light and airy side...yeah, "polite" is a good word for them. Maybe it's good to have another set with more weight and thickness to the sound as well.

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #19 of 33
The lightness of the K 240 DF's sound helps with instrument separation and soundstaging though. From my experience, "fuller" sounding headphones tend to have more blurry imaging.

Feel free to prove me wrong though. :p

Apr 9, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #20 of 33
I wasn't knocking the 240DF...I happen to like them a lot. I was trying to say that it's good to have more than one perspective on your mix...like listening on different speakers and your car stereo. I wasn't implying one sound signature was better than the other....but that two(or more) perspectives may be better than one.

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #21 of 33
Stax 4070.
Afaik they were originally designed by Stax for a major Japanese TV broadcasting channel, for exactly this task - monitoring. The text on the cups should give a hint as well.

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #22 of 33
The easy way out could be a Sony MDR V6/7506 with a more expensive model. A Beyerdynamic DT250 is also a good 'cheaper' option just as the Shure 440 is.

Add a more (classic) expensive headphone like the AKG K240 DF and you have a very nice combination.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #25 of 33
I think your friend should start off with studio standards, such as the Sony MDR-V6/7506 or the AKG K 271/K 240.

Two benefits to getting these are 1) they're less expensive than many other monitoring headphones that aren't as well-proven for studio work and 2) they can work with a wide range of equipment and are not as "picky" as many higher-end headphones.

Another option I've read about that seems to be great for studio work AND general music listening is the Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax 4070.
Afaik they were originally designed by Stax for a major Japanese TV broadcasting channel, for exactly this task - monitoring. The text on the cups should give a hint as well.

You had to bring these up.. I'd love a pair. Look so beautiful.. To the op, the 4070 is the most expensive, & arguably, the best studio grade reference monitoring headphones in production today. The DT48 is the most expensive dynamic studio reference grade monitoring headphone on the market in production.. Both have great build quality.. The 4070 looks more luxurious & high end, (& coming from a DT48 fan, even more resolving & detailed) while the DT48 has a more vintage/industrial look to them.. The DT48 is also endorsed by NAGRA, which has very high standards..Used for field work & recordings, etc.. Very mid centric.. I would describe them as polite, but really depends on what you feed them.. They are non bright, full sounding, stellar imaging for closed headphones, without a hint of smearing.. They been in production for 73 yrs so they must be doing something right..
icon10.gif
But if you want the best reference monitors, I'd get the 4070. If you want the best on a budget I'd get the DT48, which can be had used for under 150.00. Then of course you have the tried & true 240DF/Pioneer10, which are no slouch either, & the, every studio has one, entry level Sony model that was brought up earlier.

Can't leave out the HD600, even though they are open.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't implying one sound signature was better than the other....but that two(or more) perspectives may be better than one.

Very true, that.

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there's been a million of these threads lately, you should try a search. keywords to try:

monitor (s)
neutral
studio

Yes.. & I'm getting tired of typing DT48.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back