Money To Burn!
Sep 4, 2006 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Xiode

100+ Head-Fier
Ok - so I just sold my World of Warcraft account for $660 thanks to my good buddy Ebay, and I have some cash to spend on improving my overall music experience. This includes headphones, amp, source, and music collection.

So, here's my question: Given the specs in my sig, what would be the best way to invest the roughly $500 I have left? I listen to alternative and hard rock generally. I just got interested in "trance" music as well, and spent about $100 on assorted CD's (It's a sort of techno/electronic genre).

I was possibly considering AKG 701's or Senn 650's? Possibly a new source as well that has a multi-disk changer, constantly changing CD's gets annoying.
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiode
Ok - so I just sold my World of Warcraft account for $660 thanks to my good buddy Ebay, and I have some cash to spend on improving my overall music experience. This includes headphones, amp, source, and music collection.

So, here's my question: Given the specs in my sig, what would be the best way to invest the roughly $500 I have left? I listen to alternative and hard rock generally. I just got interested in "trance" music as well, and spent about $100 on assorted CD's (It's a sort of techno/electronic genre).

I was possibly considering AKG 701's or Senn 650's? Possibly a new source as well that has a multi-disk changer, constantly changing CD's gets annoying.
wink.gif

are those the 03 Version? 880's.. The Sony 595 used as a transport with a good DAC does wonders.. Since you already have good cans I'd focus more on the Amp/DAC

Grado 60/80/125/225 are excellent for rock..60/225 being the most popular here..For the price..

Sep 4, 2006 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 22
For $660 you could get a nice DAC as well as one of the big new 300+GB hard drives. Rip your collection into lossless and get into computer-as-source.

However, have you thought about getting a pair of Grados? If you like rock and alternative, you'd probably love them. With $660, you could get a used pair of RS-1s, the RS-2, the SR-225, or the Alessandro MS-2i and have enough left over for a tube amp.

Sep 4, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 22
GRADOS!
Cmon, they're way fun for rock, i'd get the SR225 and flats to get a safe firm bite into the grado line
If you like and need more, get one of the RS headphones
wink.gif

Oh and a DAC would be good, maybe
Need an iem? get a UM2 for on the go!
(possible) new ipod in a week
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 22
If you have money to burn.....:

Send it to me. I run a money burning company and would be pleased to dispose of it for you.

Or, I'd second the Grado route! 225's and an amp.

My GS1000's are like a dream........

Sep 4, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #6 of 22
Considering what you're considering in cans, and the tunes that you like; I'd say a good choice would be MS2i or RS-2 depending on whether you prefer analytical, or more relaxed listening.

.......ok; I'm not very impartial....those were MY two choices!
rolleyes.gif
I'm goin' for MS2i and Glite, for a coincidental total of quite near your $660 available funds
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
For $660 you could get a nice DAC as well as one of the big new 300+GB hard drives. Rip your collection into lossless and get into computer-as-source.

However, have you thought about getting a pair of Grados? If you like rock and alternative, you'd probably love them. With $660, you could get a used pair of RS-1s, the RS-2, the SR-225, or the Alessandro MS-2i and have enough left over for a tube amp.

I'm not a big fan of computer-as-source. Been there, done that (long story). I prefer to keep my computer and music seperate.
biggrin.gif

I previously owned Grado SR-60's and Senn 555's before my DT880's. The Grado's were alright, but fatiguing after a long period of time unlike my Beyers which I LOVE!

How would the Sony 595 sound in comparison to my Pioneer? Would it be a noticable improvement? Should I get an external DAC to go with it - if so, which? Also, what are the best headphones for trance music (I've included a link below with a sample). I'd like to get into jazz/classical eventually too.

Sample of Trance music

Sep 4, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Possibly a new source as well that has a multi-disk changer, constantly changing CD's gets annoying.
wink.gif

Mabey you should look into computer as source/transport, you can store all your music on the hard drive and not worry about changing cds and stuff. And no waiting for them to load, or get scratched, etc... If you want to keep your main PC seperate from the music one, build a cheap PC with that $500.

Sep 4, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 22
Don´t like computer-as-source too.
Adding the noise of the computer to the specifications of an expensive DAC or amp can be quite disapointing.

How about a nice DAP? With a the-bigger-the-better-sized Harddisc?

Sep 4, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Mabey you should look into computer as source/transport, you can store all your music on the hard drive and not worry about changing cds and stuff. And no waiting for them to load, or get scratched, etc... If you want to keep your main PC seperate from the music one, build a cheap PC with that $500.

I had a bad experience with computer-as-source in the past, and I'd just prefer to keep my "systems" seperate.

So would the Sony 595 be a good upgrade from my Pioneer?

Sep 4, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 22
Xiode- that's cool. I didn't know you had already tried computer-as-source and didn't like it.

Yeah, the Sony SCD-CE595 is a good deal. I picked one up a couple of months ago and just love it. Red Book is good, but it really shines with SACDs. There aren't a whole lot of hard rock and alternative SACDs out there, though. If you like classical or jazz (I love both) then SACD is a good way to go- it sounds amazing. I think Sony Style still has refurbished ones for $79.97, so take a look.

Still, I think you might like a pair of the high-end Grados. I find the RS-1 to be less fatiguing than the HF-1, and it's gotten better the longer I've had it. I can listed for 2-3 hours without trouble.

Then again, the Beyer is an excellent can and if you like it, you might want to stay with it for awhile. For $660, you could pick up the CE595 and a really nice tube amp. That should make you pretty happy.

Sep 4, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 22
I was also considering getting a 60gb video iPod with a portion of the money and ripping all my CD's to lossless. Does your music have to remain on your hard drive, or can I upload it to the iPod and delete it? I only have a 74GB Western Digital Raptor.
frown.gif

Also, compare and contrast my Beyers to RS-1's please. How are they different? What types of music do each of them favor?

Sep 4, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Does your music have to remain on your hard drive, or can I upload it to the iPod and delete it?
frown.gif

rip it to itunes
go into the music folder
delete the files
open itunes and the titles should still be there.

Sep 4, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #14 of 22
Can you move the files back from the ipod to the computer? I heard it´s impossible with itunes. Is this true?
I don´t think he wants to re-rip his collection if he changes the player one day.

BTW, you may try this: rip one song to lossless, to 320 kb/s mp3, and to Lame preset extreme. Ask a friend to burn the files in random order on a cd. Try to figure out which track is lossless. If you fail (which is likely to happen): be happy. Save discspace.

Sep 4, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun
Can you move the files back from the ipod to the computer? I heard it´s impossible with itunes. Is this true?

you can use a program called podutil to get files from your ipod to your computer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back