Money To Burn!
Sep 5, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #16 of 22
I can't decide! New cans, a 5-disk SACD source, 60gb video ipod... what do I get!!?! Unfortunately, by budget can't include all of them.
frown.gif

Sep 5, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiode
I can't decide! New cans, a 5-disk SACD source, 60gb video ipod... what do I get!!?! Unfortunately, by budget can't include all of them.
frown.gif

Guess I'm nuts, but I'm not a fan of portable music devices..5-6 yrs ago, when I walked everyday, yes.But in 06..Nah.. I prefer the home set up, much better sound quality..

Sep 5, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #18 of 22
I don't know if I favor portable music or not - I had an old school gen 3 10gb iPod that I sold a while back... It wasn't quite as hot as a 60gb colory-goodness sexy-black video iPod, though. In addition - I'm traveling more, my car doesn't have a CD player, and my music collection has grown by ~$500.

I was kind of waiting for this "big release" by Apple on the 12th when the new iPods are supposidly coming.

Sep 5, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #19 of 22
Alright, so I think I've decided on a Sony CE595 and a new pair of cans. I'd have about ~$320 left over to spend. I ordered a bunch of the trance genre and some classical music yesterday, in addition to the alternative/hard rock that I already listen to.

Reccomendations?

I know a lot of you were suggesting Grado's, especially 225's. How do the 325i's compare? I was potentially looking at them, or possibly MS-2i's, or even AKG-701's! What do to, what to do...

Sep 5, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #20 of 22
I have the AKG-701 and have heard the Alessandro MS1 (decent listen) and the Grado SR-325. I like hard rock/metal, as well as Goa Psy eletronica and other dance stuff like Oakenfeld and Van Dyk. I also like my movie scores too tho
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway: IMO, the bass on the headphones is particularly important for you, since you're listening to bass demanding music now (not bass *heavy*, just demanding). With the GLite/DPS, the K701 has deeper bass extension than the HD560 (quite noticeably deeper, with the 650 just being warmer in the midbass), and both these cans had deeper bass (when amped, I couldn't say for sure unamped) than either of the Grado/Alessandro models I've heard (although, they're not the top of the line models).

I've had others argue these observations, I just point them at the Headroom graph which altho can't be taken as gospel, lines up exactly with my opinions. Must be coincidence
wink.gif
And I hear the deeper bass of the AKG's on a virgin K701s. When they are burnt in, the bass gets a little warmer (but still as tight) and the mids sound closer to the HD650 (albeit not as prominent, since the rest is more balanced IMO). I changed from the HD650 because even with an amp, it wasn't *quite* nimble enough for my metal/eletronica. If I had to guess (and I am), I'd say this could be the change ur looking for too.

I would leave ur current source and get an external DAC. This made the next biggest difference to me after finding cans with the sound sig I liked. If you like your DT880, stick with it! Otherwise, I would get the K701 and after it's burnt in (200 hours will safely do it), then compare and see whether u like it more. Then sell the one u don't need (if u need to... could keep both). Just my2c.

Or alternatively try some of the cheaper Grado's to get the "taste."

Sep 5, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #21 of 22
You should seriously consider the SA5000's; they're great with the genres you mentioned. They are fast, detailed, great with electric bass/guitar, drums, and synthesized noises, and have tight, very extended bass.

Sep 5, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #22 of 22
What sort of external DAC would you reccomend to go with the Sony CE595 that I'm getting? Thanks for your opinion by the way, Oakenfold and Van Dyk are some of the same exact things I'm listening to as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back