MOFASEST Trio. Dedicated thread. Post your thoughts.
Aug 28, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #136 of 318
Ooo that blue. Almost had me thinking they are nicer than my greens..Great sounding set no?

They are beautifully made indeed, nice color and built, and of course most important beautiful sound, they are classy and smooth, refine. Refine is something that not bold in statement but hard to achieve in IEM, but once you've heard refined IEM, tiers below will sounded harsh if being compared. This set have this magic. Great recommendation @Dsnuts
Still need to burn in while waiting my kbear rhyme cable too, but tuning is great as my FR graph, only few nitpick if im being too demanding but definitely this set have no major flaw. Easy to love tuning. Thanks!

Aug 28, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #137 of 318
this 'refinement' I noticed with my OH500 as well. graphs similarly with a 5k dip.

This 5-6K dip lines up with my ear resonance and sounds nice and linear on oh500 (and likely trio by extension). Other earphones that graph linear here actually sound harsh to me. A little recess in this upper presence / lower sibilance area help 'refine' the experience and sound more like natural treble from speakers.

Aug 28, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #138 of 318
this 'refinement' I noticed with my OH500 as well. graphs similarly with a 5k dip.

This 5-6K dip lines up with my ear resonance and sounds nice and linear on oh500 (and likely trio by extension). Other earphones that graph linear here actually sound harsh to me. A little recess in this upper presence / lower sibilance area help 'refine' the experience and sound more like natural treble from speakers.

Never heard Oriveti OH500 myself but they tuned very similar actually. And they are on exact same price. Yes little recess in lower sibilance at 5-6khz is important to avoid too busy trebles, even though maybe for me the Trio dip is too recessed, just a little up from that graph would be nice. While refinement also not only came from great tuning too, must be come from refine driver too. Driver capabilities also important, being detail and clear without sounded harsh at all, thats the difficult part.

Aug 29, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #139 of 318
must be come from refine driver too. Driver capabilities also important, being detail and clear without sounded harsh at all, thats the difficult part.
I agree, it goes beyond measured (even perceived) frequency response. Drivers must absolutely be capable.

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #140 of 318
MOFO Trio + hiby R5 are now fully burnt in, with a couple hundred hours of listening time. Finally settled on the Ultimate Ears 500/600/700 replacement silicone tips over Spiral Dots, Spinfits, or AZLA's. for my ears, they go deep, seal tight, and really allow the treble to breathe. medium bore doesn't really affect the stage. This is my favorite earphone. period. it does things just as well as the JVC's, but with light years better fit, so sound technicalities default to Trio. Musicality without sacrificing detail. Sometimes a musical earphone gives up some of the detail retrieval, or separation, but not the Mofo Trio. This is that moment you get the best of both worlds. The highs are really nicely presented. There is no sibilance unless you add it via MSEB. This doesn't mean the highs are rolled off. no. they can extend when asked, and stay back when needed. This is the same for the bass. the bass is present, quick, can hit deep when called upon, or just be articulate and resolving when you are listening to a genre that asks for that kind of attention. Mids are lush when called upon to be smooth and passionate, but watch out for modern compressed mastering (top 40 radio), because they can bring aggression and shouty vocals and mids if it was mastered that way. these are detailed earphones, so if something positive is in the master, you get positive outcomes. negative? well...do what i do and turn it down. Regardless, this is a fairly balanced, accurate timbre, and yet musical! how about that?! Those of you who own the trio may agree with me on this audio outlook? I've experimented with my entire collection with MSEB, and i mean every single one, including the crap ones i don't have listed that collect dust in my closet. I'll listen to awhile, think they sound better than i remember, and then get annoyed because they aren't as creamy or impactful or musical or as defined as the Trio. So i reach right back for them, and in my ears they go. Can't get a better indictment than that? This goes for my cans. Worth every penny I spent on these, and that's what? 500,000 pennies? lol

IMG_4202 (1).jpgIMG_4204.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #141 of 318
MOFO Trio + hiby R5 are now fully burnt in, with a couple hundred hours of listening time. Finally settled on the Ultimate Ears 500/600/700 replacement silicone tips over Spiral Dots, Spinfits, or AZLA's. for my ears, they go deep, seal tight, and really allow the treble to breathe. medium bore doesn't really affect the stage. This is my favorite earphone. period. it does things just as well as the JVC's, but with light years better fit, so sound technicalities default to Trio. Musicality without sacrificing detail. Sometimes a musical earphone gives up some of the detail retrieval, or separation, but not the Mofo Trio. This is that moment you get the best of both worlds. The highs are really nicely presented. There is no sibilance unless you add it via MSEB. This doesn't mean the highs are rolled off. no. they can extend when asked, and stay back when needed. This is the same for the bass. the bass is present, quick, can hit deep when called upon, or just be articulate and resolving when you are listening to a genre that asks for that kind of attention. Mids are lush when called upon to be smooth and passionate, but watch out for modern compressed mastering (top 40 radio), because they can bring aggression and shouty vocals and mids if it was mastered that way. these are detailed earphones, so if something positive is in the master, you get positive outcomes. negative? well...do what i do and turn it down. Regardless, this is a fairly balanced, accurate timbre, and yet musical! how about that?! Those of you who own the trio may agree with me on this audio outlook? I've experimented with my entire collection with MSEB, and i mean every single one, including the crap ones i don't have listed that collect dust in my closet. I'll listen to awhile, think they sound better than i remember, and then get annoyed because they aren't as creamy or impactful or musical or as defined as the Trio. So i reach right back for them, and in my ears they go. Can't get a better indictment than that? This goes for my cans. Worth every penny I spent on these, and that's what? 500,000 pennies? lol

IMG_4202 (1).jpgIMG_4204.jpg

This is weird, but i have similar experience, while i loving my spiral dot, dot++, azlas (i have all kinds including xelastec) they dont pair well with mofasest trio. Trio wants smaller bore, some small or medium bore eartips pair really well, so far my best pair is with spinfit cp360. They added "crispiness" and "bites" and sounded better to my ears. More airy too and more balanced. Highs are better with more focused details with that "bites" and sparkles.
The cp360 also great in fit since their material is similar with sony Z1R eartips on umbrella part, which stickier than ordinary silicone tips, i gotta say the stickiness is in between xelastec and normal silicone.

Sep 5, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #142 of 318
Mofasest Trio.jpg

IEC711 mesurement, this unit was a acrylic wood shelled one with variable bass settings (±5db), so it might be slightly different from the full acrylic ones, but since the nozzles are standardised metal, I think they should be more similar than not. 8k peak is more prominent than the manufacturer provided graph but channel matching is excellent and treble extension is commendable for a sonion estat.

Sep 5, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #143 of 318

IEC711 mesurement, this unit was a acrylic wood shelled one with variable bass settings (±5db), so it might be slightly different from the full acrylic ones, but since the nozzles are standardised metal, I think they should be more similar than not. 8k peak is more prominent than the manufacturer provided graph but channel matching is excellent and treble extension is commendable for a sonion estat.

Pretty much inline with my measurement a page back, also using IEC711 clone coupler

Alright, measured my new Trio today, using similar rig as Crin's with IEC711 clone coupler, similar with FR that provided before but they are more boosted on high mis and sub bass. Definitely not bass light IEM, i can hear from very first test, the previous graph showing pinna gain on +8db level, but here showed +9db.
Great set, and OHH that EST, was expecting a great listening and my wish kinda fulfilled, what a smooooottthhhhhhhhhhhhh highhhh with some details above average DD/BA, with nice extension. Overall they are smooth presentation, the Bio cell DD bass also give natural, smooth rumble with great texture although maybe not the tightest or speediest. Decay is moderate - fast, but this is a first impression OOTB, yet to be burned. Mids definitely not star of the show, but they are above average in clarity and timbre. The 2khz made overall mids can be sounded thinner compare to thick bold M7/M9 just like @dabaiyan said, and what he describe the Trio compared to his M9 / M7 is well described i concur. But this is not by any mean their mids are thin, a neutral one, if based on crin's note weight, it will be 0 or -1.
Separation is very good, soundstage and imaging also great, but layering is still behind m7. I will compare this Trio with my M7 later since they are really similar in presentation, which a good one for $500 vs $800 (MSRP on first price, now M7 price is dropped but not sure how much) tonality is very good, similar to my M7, or not too far from them. This have monitor like smooth presentation, gentle, smooth, clear, with a bit of fun touch boosted sub bass and upper mids. A great buy definitely.
Right, to the burn machine they go!

will give more impressions later when they are fully burned 120hours+ (not burning while listening, maybe when i just want to hear them for a while)

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #144 of 318
So, I'll be ordering these in a day or so since another headfier decided to pay me to keep a pair I lent him and god forbid I have any audio budget money sitting in my account....

Blue or green, blue or green.... I lean towards green...

Like many I was on the fence between these and hopping on the UM MEST at almost triple the cost. Not having heard the sonion EST drivers yet I think this is a better purchase and a lot more justifiable.

I have no doubt the UM MEST is amazing, but it's the first high end set I see with bone conduction in it. There are CERTAIN to be others in the near future and of all tunings. I'll let that tech simmer in audiophile circles a bit before hoping on board.... Seems like these EST sets are just now being tuned well, and that most of the earliest generation of these EST drivers were... Not implemented well... I'm guessing the bone conduction stuff, now that it's finding it's niche as part of a hybrid setup, will need a bit of trial and error, and I don't want to rush it.

A year from now, maybe Mofasest or some other company will release something like the UM MEST, but at $500 (which is still a lot of money).

I mean, if you've got FU money, go for it and get the MEST, but for the rest of us, I think this is probably the more reasonable set to get right now that's toeing that line between top level performance and value. But I guess I'll find out myself soon enough! It could just be another pair I still prefer listening to my TRI I3 over!

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #145 of 318
I doubt your gonna be disappointed in them. Good choice on the color. I always thought green was for the sophisticated enthusiast. Blues all right. It is just not green. I think your right about the MEST. I am contemplating if I want to wade those waters myself but I have a feeling things will improve the more of these EST tri and quad brids are getting made. Mofasest Trio is indeed a safe bet.

Mofos been a nice surprise for me this year and they will be a permanent part of my line up for certain.

You guys know I am just kidding about the color thing. or not. Lol. I think both colors look nice. I am waiting for the first person to get a different plate from Penon though to see what that looks like.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #146 of 318
I also managed to demo the clairvoyance and monarch recently and heard the hua jiang previously, for those wondering if those are worth the 200 or so more, I would say yes, the jq and the clairvoyance are a tier above technically and the monarch is a tier and a half, though I do prefer the tone of the jq and clair. They are all also more coherent then the trio, having significantly better performing bass drivers. Overall more complete products sonically, though the trio is no slouch.

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #147 of 318

Alright, measured my new Trio today, using similar rig as Crin's with IEC711 clone coupler, similar with FR that provided before but they are more boosted on high mis and sub bass. Definitely not bass light IEM, i can hear from very first test, the previous graph showing pinna gain on +8db level, but here showed +9db.
Great set, and OHH that EST, was expecting a great listening and my wish kinda fulfilled, what a smooooottthhhhhhhhhhhhh highhhh with some details above average DD/BA, with nice extension. Overall they are smooth presentation, the Bio cell DD bass also give natural, smooth rumble with great texture although maybe not the tightest or speediest. Decay is moderate - fast, but this is a first impression OOTB, yet to be burned. Mids definitely not star of the show, but they are above average in clarity and timbre. The 2khz made overall mids can be sounded thinner compare to thick bold M7/M9 just like @dabaiyan said, and what he describe the Trio compared to his M9 / M7 is well described i concur. But this is not by any mean their mids are thin, a neutral one, if based on crin's note weight, it will be 0 or -1.
Separation is very good, soundstage and imaging also great, but layering is still behind m7. I will compare this Trio with my M7 later since they are really similar in presentation, which a good one for $500 vs $800 (MSRP on first price, now M7 price is dropped but not sure how much) tonality is very good, similar to my M7, or not too far from them. This have monitor like smooth presentation, gentle, smooth, clear, with a bit of fun touch boosted sub bass and upper mids. A great buy definitely.
Right, to the burn machine they go!

will give more impressions later when they are fully burned 120hours+ (not burning while listening, maybe when i just want to hear them for a while)
I also managed to demo the clairvoyance and monarch recently and heard the hua jiang previously, for those wondering if those are worth the 200 or so more, I would say yes, the jq and the clairvoyance are a tier above technically and the monarch is a tier and a half, though I do prefer the tone of the jq and clair. They are all also more coherent then the trio, having significantly better performing bass drivers. Overall more complete products sonically, though the trio is no slouch.

Thats why i want to get one of those twin clairvoyance or monarch. Actually i like the clairvoyance tuning, more to my liking, while monarch is more sterile on lower mids and more prominent 3khz, i scared too shouty for me, but the technicalities on monarch that i really want. Any advice? Not rushing to buy also. Not sure if maybe get Z1R someday instead but judging from the value, the new THieAudio twins really have great value, they are 4 way crossover also so i think will be a great value upgrade from the Trio.

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #148 of 318
I doubt your gonna be disappointed in them. Good choice on the color. I always thought green was for the sophisticated enthusiast. Blues all right. It is just not green. I think your right about the MEST. I am contemplating if I want to wade those waters myself but I have a feeling things will improve the more of these EST tri and quad brids are getting made. Mofasest Trio is indeed a safe bet.

Mofos been a nice surprise for me this year and they will be a permanent part of my line up for certain.

You guys know I am just kidding about the color thing. or not. Lol. I think both colors look nice. I am waiting for the first person to get a different plate from Penon though to see what that looks like.
On the colours thing, just get two sets then you can have one for each ear.

Sep 6, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #149 of 318
Thats why i want to get one of those twin clairvoyance or monarch. Actually i like the clairvoyance tuning, more to my liking, while monarch is more sterile on lower mids and more prominent 3khz, i scared too shouty for me, but the technicalities on monarch that i really want. Any advice? Not rushing to buy also. Not sure if maybe get Z1R someday instead but judging from the value, the new THieAudio twins really have great value, they are 4 way crossover also so i think will be a great value upgrade from the Trio.
I think for your preferences, especially considering you like the M7, definitely get the clairvoyance. Monarch does get shouty to me and the treble can be slightly hot. Your preferences seem to be quite similar to mine and I think the clairvoyance is way to go. Technicalities are extremely close, to me you trade of that last bit of transient speed compared to the monarch but in return you get better dynamics and tonal depth, so they're more equal than not, it's just that most people prioritise ultimate clarity and transient response over all else these days, hence my comment, but I actually think they're equally matched if you value things like finer tonal shades, micro dynamics and texturing over just raw resolution.

Sep 6, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #150 of 318

Users who are viewing this thread

Back