MOFASEST Trio. Dedicated thread. Post your thoughts.
Jul 21, 2020 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 318

Dsnuts

Headphoneus Supremus
1595358236809.png

Description

Adopting Sonion 2019 the newest EST electrostatic ultra-high frequency driver, its ultra-high frequency extensibility can reach 80k, which greatly improves the extensibility of the sound, bringing users a delicate, smooth, crystal-like sound. It does not require much power, and the general front end can easily drive.

Sound trend
Three-frequency balanced, large lateral sound field, and a certain feeling of immersive. A 10mm biofilm dynamic is used at low frequency, which has good transient dynamics, concentrated power, and sufficient diving. The mid-high frequency uses 2 Sonion hole-type drivers to bring out outstanding vocal performance. Its vocal is warm, delicate, rich in emotion, and non-irritating. With 2 electrostatic ultra-high frequency drivers, the vocal without sibilance, and the harmonics of the instrument are delicate and full of gloss.
Different from the ordinary balanced armature unit, the delicate and smooth gradual feeling brought by static electricity is far beyond that of ordinary balanced armature and dynamic driver.

Specification

Driver unit: 2 Sonion ESE electrostatic, 2 balanced armature, 1 dynamic

Cross-over technology: 2 ultra-high, 2 mid-high, 1 low, 3-way crossover, 3 tubes

Sensitivity: 112dB

Impedance: 38ohm
1595358519448.png

Thanks goes out to @cenizas for the graph pic

can be bought on Penon web site here.
1596032782625.png

My review https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/mofasest-trio.24532/reviews#item-review-24067

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 318
Very interesting. Would love to enter into this realm. My wallet hurts oh so bad just thinking about it.....

Jul 21, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 318
Same. But yours is more tolerant to pain judging by the signature.
LOL. I've had so much abrubt pain this year at home (new AC, fridge, oven, sewer line, 1 toilet, etc) that $100 IEMs seem like nothing so I've been taking liberties.

Given that I just bought one pair $500ish in the last couple weeks I'm thinking maybe I should wait.... Maybe...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 21, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 318
LOL. I've had so much abrubt pain this year at home (new AC, fridge, oven, sewer line, 1 toilet, etc) that $100 IEMs seem like nothing so I've been taking liberties. Tomorrow I take our new kitten in for neutering and declawing.... Another fun bill I'll receive!

Given that I just bought one pair $500ish in the last couple weeks I'm thinking maybe I should wait.... Maybe...
Should've explained to your family that new earphones are more important than toilet. Both have a similar flush function (earphones flush money even better) and make sounds but there are no EST hybrid toilets.
Off-topic ends on this absolutely hilarious note. I won't buy them anytime soon anyway. At least not until late Autumn :disappointed:

Jul 21, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 318
Should've explained to your family that new earphones are more important than toilet. Both have a similar flush function (earphones flush money even better) and make sounds but there are no EST hybrid toilets.
Off-topic ends on this absolutely hilarious note. I won't buy them anytime soon anyway. At least not until late Autumn :disappointed:
They have some crazy toilets in Japan, don't totally rule out an Electrostatic toilet that sounds amazing as you flush money down it....

My yearly audio budget is already way in the red, and unfortunately anything I would sell has original boxes and accessories in my office, which is totally off limits until at least mid September due to COVID.

Would love to get my hands on these... But I need to do the smart thing for once and wait.

Jul 21, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 318
i have mofasest trio, burned in for hundreds of hours

found the sound relatively dark and muted, could use more air and sparkle, even with amp and burn in :frowning2: sorry to say, i rly wanted to like it since so unique

bass was deep and punchy nice L shape, very tight and detailed, goes deep and retains control very well

mids were quite dull, sad to say, mostly due to poor highs extension. whole IEM feels “flat” like an Etymotic, no 3D at all

highs: poor extension, treble lacks air, feels very claustrophobic

overall a very relaxed, but boring listen, just my opinion tho

weirdly enough, lot of other sonion EST IEMs get similar reviews, of “dark and lacking air”, so ymmv

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 318
You know, that almost my perfect preference signature. Sub bass focused, balanced, with pinna gain less than 10 db (8db is ideal for me), 3 khz dip to avoid shoutiness. Wish i have $500 spare to spent without permission.
I'm watching!

Jul 21, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 318
1595358519448.png
Thanks goes out to @cenizas for the graph pic

can be bought on Penon web site here.

Look at that. THAT graph. It's like on everyone and their mother's dream graph. Somehow this hasn't caught fire.

Looking forward to more impressions.

Jul 21, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 318
i have mofasest trio, burned in for hundreds of hours

found the sound relatively dark and muted, could use more air and sparkle, even with amp and burn in :frowning2: sorry to say, i rly wanted to like it since so unique

bass was deep and punchy nice L shape, very tight and detailed, goes deep and retains control very well

mids were quite dull, sad to say, mostly due to poor highs extension. whole IEM feels “flat” like an Etymotic, no 3D at all

highs: poor extension, treble lacks air, feels very claustrophobic

overall a very relaxed, but boring listen, just my opinion tho

weirdly enough, lot of other sonion EST IEMs get similar reviews, of “dark and lacking air”, so ymmv
You hear that quite a bit about the ej07 and the Roland....

At least this pair at $500 isn't totally breaking the bank like a lot of other sets.

Good to see an alternative viewpoint on these as always. Universal praise is always suspicious....

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 318
His take is completely different than mine. These don't have anything dull on them. They certainly don't sound flat either. Don't know if he is hearing the same earphones I am. Could have to do with our sources too. It sounds full on dimensional on my Shanling M6pro. Been listening to them for the past 2 hours. Nothing flat on the sonics on these. Nothing lacking on the treble end either.

Cus I like starting threads for dull flat sounding earphones with closed in treble on headfi.

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 318
His take is completely different than mine. These don't have anything dull on them. They certainly don't sound flat either. Don't know if he is hearing the same earphones I am. Could have to do with our sources too. It sounds full on dimensional on my Shanling M6pro. Been listening to them for the past 2 hours. Nothing flat on the sonics on these. Nothing lacking on the treble end either.

Cus I like starting threads for dull flat sounding earphones with closed in treble on headfi.
I concur, have tested with different DAPs. Roland is dark but Trio is not at all.

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #14 of 318
Say kind gentlemen, could you compare this set with the dunu dk2001? That one had my attention but somehow I found myself distracted...😅 tia

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #15 of 318
How’s the fit and finish? I’ve never heard of this brand, but I’m relatively new to chi-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back