MOFASEST Trio. Dedicated thread. Post your thoughts.
Jul 22, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #16 of 318
His take is completely different than mine. These don't have anything dull on them. They certainly don't sound flat either. Don't know if he is hearing the same earphones I am. Could have to do with our sources too. It sounds full on dimensional on my Shanling M6pro. Been listening to them for the past 2 hours. Nothing flat on the sonics on these. Nothing lacking on the treble end either.

Cus I like starting threads for dull flat sounding earphones with closed in treble on headfi.
Don't ever forget that you're a shill, man. I saw a very, very well known reviewer call you one, so it must be true! You should get a special badge for that incident....

Seriously though, could be any number of things. A bad cable, a bad set, a bad source, old man hearing, who knows. I do worry about these sonion drivers because I know they're generally cutoff around 7khz. I'm 38 and listen to stuff extremely loud. I'm guessing in not so sensitive to that stuff anymore.

Seems like a lot of the people who really like these EST drivers are on the younger side.

At least I won't feel like yet crap if I drop $500 on this set and hear what the one detractor in here heard rather than what the rest of you are hearing.

Jul 22, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #18 of 318
Look at that. THAT graph. It's like on everyone and their mother's dream graph. Somehow this hasn't caught fire.

Looking forward to more impressions.
The qdc 8sl/sh and jq hua jiang also graph similarly, and have the fuller presentation most would expect with this style of graph, though you'd expect that considering they cost considerably more. I feel the trio is thinner though the lower mids than the graph suggests. The bass lift is also less well integrated into the overall sound than the qdcs and hua jiang, though this particular dd gives a nice punch despite being on the slower side.

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #19 of 318
His take is completely different than mine. These don't have anything dull on them. They certainly don't sound flat either. Don't know if he is hearing the same earphones I am. Could have to do with our sources too. It sounds full on dimensional on my Shanling M6pro. Been listening to them for the past 2 hours. Nothing flat on the sonics on these. Nothing lacking on the treble end either.

Cus I like starting threads for dull flat sounding earphones with closed in treble on headfi.

srry bro no offense meant, i believe ur impressions, just thot i would share mine to help prospective buyer :)

i bought the Trio based on @audio123 's review (and because they had biofilm driver), could be source, or types of music listened to for my impressions

i tested mine out of Macbook Pro + Periodic audio Nickel amp with FLAC, felt the lack of air especially on orchestral tracks and metal songs (felt closed in and congested and like wall of sound), but i comparing these to Etymotic which is also flat but better air

as short comparison, vs. Stealthsonics U9, the U9 has similar excellent bass response, unnatural mids (very nasally), and supremely better highs (U9s have beautiful highs extension). Trio has way better tonality, but doesn't have as anywhere near as much sparkle. both r unsatisfying

glad u like them tho, they r a unique find

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #20 of 318
srry bro no offense meant, i believe ur impressions, just thot i would share mine to help prospective buyer :)

i bought the Trio based on @audio123 's review (and because they had biofilm driver), could be source, or types of music listened to for my impressions

i tested mine out of Macbook Pro + Periodic audio Nickel amp with FLAC, felt the lack of air especially on orchestral tracks and metal songs (felt closed in and congested and like wall of sound), but i comparing these to Etymotic which is also flat but better air

as short comparison, vs. Stealthsonics U9, the U9 has similar excellent bass response, unnatural mids (very nasally), and supremely better highs (U9s have beautiful highs extension). Trio has way better tonality, but doesn't have as anywhere near as much sparkle. both r unsatisfying

glad u like them tho, they r a unique find
I think it depends where you are coming from. In my review, I have compared Trio to the Andromeda and the Andromeda is without a doubt crispier and sparklier in the treble aspect. With that being said, I don't think Trio is lacking sparkle but perhaps not as much as your desired sparkle level. YMMV definitely. Source is very important for EST IEMs too. Cheers.

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #21 of 318
sonion est = electet/electstat?
They're different AFAIK
They are Electret, you have to dig into the official spec sheets to find that out though. The marketing is... A bit misleading. Not true electrostats.

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #22 of 318
They are Electret, you have to dig into the official spec sheets to find that out though. The marketing is... A bit misleading. Not true electrostats.
Yep
So far the only true e-stats have to have an external power source. But if I’m not mistaken, the internal power source of the Sonion electrets at least make them able to continue working indefinitely, unlike magnetostats.

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #24 of 318
I think it is estat not electret . They have and power supply
Unfortunately they are electrets, based on what Sonion explicitly states on their product information. Their marketing is misleading though.

Jul 22, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #25 of 318
Unfortunately they are electrets, based on what Sonion explicitly states on their product information. Their marketing is misleading though.
Yep, I was corrected on this about a week ago in the L9 thread. To me it looks like it's purposefully misleading on Sonions part.... They are Electret.

Jul 22, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #26 of 318
Don't ever forget that you're a shill, man. I saw a very, very well known reviewer call you one, so it must be true! You should get a special badge for that incident....

Seriously though, could be any number of things. A bad cable, a bad set, a bad source, old man hearing, who knows. I do worry about these sonion drivers because I know they're generally cutoff around 7khz. I'm 38 and listen to stuff extremely loud. I'm guessing in not so sensitive to that stuff anymore.

Seems like a lot of the people who really like these EST drivers are on the younger side.

At least I won't feel like yet crap if I drop $500 on this set and hear what the one detractor in here heard rather than what the rest of you are hearing.

I've been called all sorts of things. What happens when you air your thoughts on these threads. I remember when I first joined headfi. I was telling folks how good cheaper stuff was at the time. MP8320.

I got called all sorts of names, people got banned. It was funny. But I was just telling it like it is. I like to think that helped cheaper stuff get recognized where it was just being overlooked. Which was a damn shame. The whole idea of the discovery threads was to recognize stuff that would never get the time of day here on headfi. There was so much more than just TOTL stuff people like to chat about. As you all know now we have a lot better representation of everthing in ears now. I hope I had a hand in some of that. In any case that was then this is now.

Mofasest Trio in my ears as I am typing. The detail and spacing of these IEMs are extroardinary. I agree the bass isn't the speediest. I would take this bass over speedy bass with no grunt all day and every day.

Bass has defintion that is lacking in so many earphones. Trios mid bands while not as forward as some would proabably like. Has excellent clarity and them details comes through with an effortless quality to it. Sonion BAs has a different timbre to sonics vs Knowles. I suppose it depends on which model we are talking about but I have too many Knowles BA earphones and not enough with Sonion in them. There is a richness to the tone in the mid bands that isn't like your typical BA sound.

Treble is much like the rest of the signature has exellent definition. Abosolutely does not lack in sparckle or extension. I hear them about as close to a goldilocks of treble in energy and extension as it gets. A bit more than they are and these would end up brighter than the tone say they are. I am becoming a fan of these Sonion Electricks they are using for the upper highs. I haven't heard a treble detail and effect that isnt represented with these.

You get that deep full bass rumble and treble that don't hide a tone, shimmer or note in any way or form and add a well rounded full head stage and you got an earphone that sounds much higher end than it has a right to be.

If CA or someone like Noble came up with this exact config and sound tuning. I am sure there would have already been a dedicated thread for it and the price tag to match. I start threads for earphones that I feel are exceptional. These in my opinion are exeptional. They are more leaning toward a fun tuning but has the technicalities of a flagship. Hows that a bad combo.? These might not carry the name and you won't pay for it, but what they do have is some outstanding drivers and a blast of a tuning.. That my friends is not a bad thing.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #27 of 318
I've been called all sorts of things. What happens when you air your thoughts on these threads. I remember when I first joined headfi. I was telling folks how good cheaper stuff was at the time. MP8320.

I got called all sorts of names, people got banned. It was funny. But I was just telling it like it is. I like to think that helped cheaper stuff get recognized where it was just being overlooked. Which was a damn shame. The whole idea of the discovery threads was to recognize stuff that would never get the time of day here on headfi. There was so much more than just TOTL stuff people like to chat about. As you all know now we have a lot better representation of everthing in ears now. I hope I had a hand in some of that. In any case that was then this is now.

Mofasest Trio in my ears as I am typing. The detail and spacing of these IEMs are extroardinary. I agree the bass isn't the speediest. I would take this bass over speedy bass with no grunt all day and every day.

Bass has defintion that is lacking is so many earphones. Trios mid bands while not as forward as some would proabably like. Has excellent clarity and them details comes through with an effortless quality to it. Sonion BAs has a different timbre to sonics vs Knowles. I suppose it depends on which model we are talking about but I have too many Knowles BA earphones and not enough with Sonion in them. There is a richness to the tone in the mid bands that isn't like your typical BA sound.

Treble is much like the rest of the signature has exellent definition. Abosolutely does not lack in sparckle or extension. I hear them about as close to a goldilocks of treble in energy and extension as it gets. A bit more than they are and these would end up brighter than the tone say they are. I am becoming a fan of these Sonion Electricks they are using for the upper highs. I haven't heard a treble detail and effect that isnt represented with these.

You get that deep full bass rumble and treble that don't hide a tone, shimmer or note in any way or form and add a well rounded full head stage and you got an earphone that sounds much higher end than it has a right to be.

If CA or someone like Noble came up with this exact config and sound tuning. I am sure there would have already been a dedicated thread for it and the price tag to match. I start threads for earphones that I feel are exceptional. These in my opinion are exeptional. They are more leaning toward a fun tuning but has the technicalities of a flagship. Hows that a bad combo.? These might not carry the name and you won't pay for it, but what they do have is some outstanding drivers and a blast of a tuning.. That my friends is not a bad thing.

So, you're saying you like them. Just say it. Don't beat around the bush. :yum:

Can they change it to Mosafest Trio. Sounds cooler. They should change the name. ;0

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #28 of 318
By the way for the fellas that have these. I have been doing some tip rolling and decided to try the new Azla Xelastec tips. The rage of headfi currently.

Matches up extremely well with the Mofos. If you have em give them a go.

I also like UE tips on these brings up the mids a touch. Both tips are aces on these.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #29 of 318

Bass has defintion that is lacking is so many earphones. Trios mid bands while not as forward as some would proabably like. Has excellent clarity and them details comes through with an effortless quality to it. Sonion BAs has a different timbre to sonics vs Knowles. I suppose it depends on which model we are talking about but I have too many Knowles BA earphones and not enough with Sonion in them. There is a richness to the tone in the mid bands that isn't like your typical BA sound.

So.... For bass, these or the orb? Sounds like mids would probably be a push but these will take the treble.... Overall thoughts on this versus the orb, yours mentioned it was like a higher end orb....

Jul 22, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #30 of 318
I like the bass on both for their respective price points. Both are tuned to be dedicated to the bass end but these Mofos have a bottom end has a bit of extra in the definition. They sound like a sub woofer when them low notes hit. It has a textured quality to it that is very much high end bass. Orbs bass end is well extended but these Mofos have a just a bit more in every way. More punch a bit more detailed and definitely more rumble. Orbs has more mid range body and fullness, more forward mid range that bodes extremely well for vocal music. But when it comes to treble it don't come close. A single BA is limited on how well it will be doing treble duties. It has a clean crisp treble end but don't come close to the treble extension, separation, dimensional qualitites of the Mofos.

Mofos is more of a V shaped tuning to my ears and the mid range is not as forward but makes up for it with some great treble on top of that great bass. I think because of relative neutral lower mid range the bass is more distinct sounding on the mofos. Mid range clarity and imaging is outstanding however. Sound separation, imaging, timbre, detail is playing at an entirely different class of earphone however

Users who are viewing this thread

Back