Mods to 963SA like mods to 555ES?
Jul 15, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #62 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
Could you explain this a little further? Is this something that can be done in the home by an average DIYer? Thanks

The Cardas caps simply fit over any unused RCA style inputs or outputs. I use them on all my components after my initial trial.

Unlike Xerxes, I do believe their effect can be subtle. When I first put them on my components I did not immediately notice much difference. Luckily my system is easy to access so I started removing caps and that is when I noticed the difference. As I removed more and more caps I noticed a smearing of the sounds and a loss of detail in imaging which I ascribed to an increase in the noise floor.

I also agree about the power cord. I currently use a VD Power three. This made much more difference on the Philips player than on any of my amps, preamps or receivers.

I also own a Sony 333ES and prefer the Philips for redbook, consider them a tie for stereo SACD and cannot directly compare them for multichannel SACD since the Sony is strictly 2-channel

Jul 16, 2003 at 11:33 AM Post #63 of 77
My hypothesis that the end caps worked exceptionally well with the 963 is because that the 963 has much more un-used connectors compared to your average CD player. This trick will probably also work with other DVD players.

With the end-caps, you can hear a drop in noise floor and the reverberation of instrument (especially purcussive) more clearly.

Jul 21, 2003 at 5:27 AM Post #65 of 77
Interesting find. I've heard nothing but praises for superclock II on SCD-1's or 777ES mods, wonder if it'll do the same wonders for the 963SA. And also wondering if the blackgate caps help the video side in any way
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2003 at 6:16 AM Post #66 of 77
Wonder if Matt Anker has made any discoveries while exploring the 963sa for modding opportunities (I'm sure he's pressed for time, I've given him a laundry list of other things to worry about too!
wink.gif
). Anyone know how the SuperClock II compares to the LC Audio X02 clock used in sacdmods mods?

-dd3mon

Jul 21, 2003 at 1:26 PM Post #67 of 77
Quote:

Anyone know how the SuperClock II compares to the LC Audio X02 clock used in sacdmods mods?

From what I've read, Superclock 2 is supposed to be slightly better than the LCAudio. However, the original version of the Superclock had some QC issues, don't know about V. 2

Mark

Jul 22, 2003 at 4:49 PM Post #68 of 77
So.... who's going to be the first (at this site) to have their 963 modded??? Given the number of folks here who have this player, someone MUST be itching to send it off for "the treatment" (and provide post modification impressions).

Anybody? Anybody? Beuller??

Bruce

Jul 22, 2003 at 5:18 PM Post #69 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by BDA_ABAT
So.... who's going to be the first (at this site) to have their 963 modded??? Given the number of folks here who have this player, someone MUST be itching to send it off for "the treatment" (and provide post modification impressions).

Anybody? Anybody? Beuller??

Bruce

I may, but no way will I spend the $700.00 that ASI is asking.

Jul 22, 2003 at 5:40 PM Post #71 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
For $700 I would expect more than what they seem to offer.

They're even charging an extra $25.00 for an IEC connector, something I feel should be included in the price of all mods if needed.

Jul 22, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #73 of 77
Hmmm... well it looks like the Superclock 2 and it's power supply are around 300 English pounds, so maybe the pricing isn't *that* outrageous.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back