Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 23, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #2,957 of 3,042
Internal copper wrap. "both PCB side"
20200628_212921.jpg
Just to update of what happen to my 1A lately.
It turned out that copper warp directly on capacitors and other sensitive components was a very bad idea. It changed my 1A sound so much that all my tune FWs came out after this mod just don't sound good at all on everyone else unit except mine. Sorry to let everyone down.
In the end, the correct way to use copper tape for filter some external noise is by apply them on aluminum housing "not" on logic board. Well, I learned this lessen the hard way. LOL!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #2,958 of 3,042
It turned out that copper warp directly on capacitors and other sensitive components was a very bad idea. It changed my 1A sound so much that all my tune FWs came out after this mod just don't sound good at all on everyone else unit except mine. Sorry to let everyone down.
In the end, the correct way to use copper tape for filter some external noise is by apply them on aluminum housing "not" on logic board. Well, I learned this lessen the hard way. LOL!

This brought back memories of something similar I tried years ago. I put copper tape on the internal components and found that placing them on those capacitors, like you said, completely changed the sound signature. In my experience the bass increased in quality but treble and general airiness took a hit.

That said, I did apply copper tape to the S-master chip and the clocks (a bit further down on the PCB) and remember thinking that it helped the sound slightly. Can't remember how exactly though..

You could also try copper taping the solder joints where the cables connect to the PCB? 🤔

Sep 23, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #2,959 of 3,042
This brought back memories of something similar I tried years ago. I put copper tape on the internal components and found that placing them on those capacitors, like you said, completely changed the sound signature. In my experience the bass increased in quality but treble and general airiness took a hit.

That said, I did apply copper tape to the S-master chip and the clocks (a bit further down on the PCB) and remember thinking that it helped the sound slightly. Can't remember how exactly though..

You could also try copper taping the solder joints where the cables connect to the PCB? 🤔
That is why you don’t see me doing it on mine (used to be) :wink:. You need to have those foils grounded to have some effects, but none of them can be as effective as a silver plate though ( if you use them on 1A, make sure you have good grounding toward the anodized chassis through the aluminum and silver plates)

Sep 23, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #2,960 of 3,042
Just for interest.

Stock WM1A weight vs EXPm2SE

IMG_20200923_211711.jpgIMG_20200923_211736.jpg

Sep 23, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #2,962 of 3,042
Sep 23, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #2,963 of 3,042
Close up of the multilayer PCB after board cutting mod.

IMG_20200923_215619.jpg

Whit a board like that how did you manage to find out that you could cut it there without damaging anything ?

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #2,965 of 3,042
Sep 23, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #2,966 of 3,042
When will we zoom in on atoms ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 23, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #2,968 of 3,042
The universe it seems has a minimum resolution, nothing is visible beyond that, no matter the equipment.
It's like they are all ghost particles, and do not really exist.

I think :)...
That means we live in a virtual reality that is dictated already :wink:...I also think

Sep 27, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #2,969 of 3,042
Looks like we now have Mark SuckerBerg from LameBook and his "Team" closing threads and censoring what was one of the best threads around here....

Sep 27, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #2,970 of 3,042
Looks like we now have Mark SuckerBerg from LameBook and his "Team" closing threads and censoring what was one of the best threads around here....

Yep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back