Modifying WM1Z/A
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #2,356 of 3,042
Jun 7, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #2,357 of 3,042
It didn’t sell too well, and many people are skeptical without giving it a listen and know what it is about.

I have posted about it several times already.

The reason why I am now using this new card is because this card was next to this Sony one, but with 1Tb and the speed, it is a no brainer

I also has a happy tiger picture, but it is in the trash
1C232045-480D-4783-A22D-E96F970D3F01.jpeg

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #2,359 of 3,042
Jun 7, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #2,360 of 3,042
Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #2,361 of 3,042
Guess I better find a 🐅 wallpaper and tiger skin case for my walkman. It will push up the tier of my walkman by one level.

Correction it will push Tier 5 to Tier 10 in no time asap!

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #2,362 of 3,042
Goth! Why didn't I think of that. Let me try.

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #2,364 of 3,042
So here is my majestic review of the all time mightiest dap fight in the world !
I am no pro but my Tiger Ears Powers help me here and I feel I can tackle this task with confidence

So interesting the sub bass is much more prominent and elaborated on romi mod, its almost like kmod dont defined bass to same level....
On romi bass and sub bass is so soo ripley wavy I can feel awesome sound waves riple threw my chest. On kmod its there but almost as not low and organic...

Another interesting fact, here on the song watt the fox dunes, the Kmod is more musical and feet taping vs Romi as it has a blacker background and the transition is more transparent? With Romi it has more air and with that comes some more details and maybe background has slight air noise ... The transitions are more airy vs black clear background on kmod...
I feel like Romi hit deeper and lower with an organic timbral resonance. Kmod is more in the mid bass hitting and with blacker background creates a more wow effect, I really love kmod with this song...
Romi is easier on the ears, kmod more agitated aggressive a little, it wants to attack more :) Tiger ears felt threatened here.

With the track out of silence, I feel same thing blacker background on kmod less airy but the black background creates such a feel and blissful transitions very interesting and it opens great details ability! While romi wins in sub region and feels less fatiguing to my view vs kmod as in kmod bass hit harder and more! and its in more in mid bass region.. Those Bg caps are very sexy here :)
I have a feeling that romi shows more details and layers with textures...

Ok here we have Serbian dance from suduaya and ROMI wins on this track. Much more musical better transitions and I can plunge into the music just drives my soul so well!
Even the blacker background of kmod not helping, something just feels off missing, the ambience, atmosphere the mass of the sound is felt missing, not emotional not dropping a tear here haha. So I just swapped to Romi and boom treble is up so emotional crispier and it just plays with my soul in a musical romantic way. I can feel the ground rattle the air from bg here is so wow just bang bang Tiger ears are happy hahaha Also vocals blend well into the atmosphere creating a nice holographic airy feel. Like its happening in an open area not closed studio even if its electronic music!!
Yes romi here presents a really grandiose sound.

On the song Elyne Road from ali farka toure, the strings wins on romi just by a serious margin, so musical so a live so real! Just airy natural beautiful it simply sings and shines! marvelous. Kmod feels harsher and less romantic like I feel it slapping me with strings rather then caressing :) and yes here airy BG caps wins due to the airiness. With Kmod strings are loud and sharp not as soft and gentle. Its great it has black background it kinda feels clearer but not adding more resolution tough. Even if romi airy feel can be perceived as in the way to clarity it still offer a better resolution in layers and textures...

High life ( dsd jazz at the pawnshop ) well well here we got a tie, romi sound very real life like and more spacious, vast atmosphere feel, treble less sparkly and of course the background is more airy introducing some feel to it rather then just clear black font... On kmod it feels louder I have to say but the timbral resonance is not as natural as the romi presents! Like I feel Kmod is so so feet tapping at first, fun cool and lets dance! Romi seems to be more serious guy LOL not analytical but dang accurate and realistic! I guess that is why I am less toe tapping vs kmod as its serious listen kmod is fun listen!
Once more I want to add that I feel more layers and details from the bass and more romantic treble like very smooth and gentle not silky like akm but natural sweet normal like you would hear with your ears in reality :) That was Romi :

Willie and the Hand Jive ! starting my song with kmod right away toe tapping fun dancing and lot of warm thick sound pleasure and fun yes. I can say right away in this song Vocals are much more forward on kmod and that feels more pleasant as I do love forward vocals. Its not huge but it helps. In this song some reasons the bass is behind the voice on kmod and in romi bass is in front of the vocals... I give it a win to Kmod for this track as its very musical fun and very toe tapping :) Romi seems to emphasis the bass and vocals are less appealing to my ears. Yes it feels more airy the guitar is more expansive and enveloping rather the kmod feels tight fast punchy, also more dynamic to. Not sure why romi lost here maybe it has actually shown how bad is the song ROFL

A road too long from allan taylor. Here I started the listen with kmod and on this track the male voice feels bright sharp and hissy, Oh nooo hiss aaaa. Not big deal this song is prone to hiss and I use it specially for the hiss test hehe, smart tiger hein ;p
Again here to the music feels much louder then romi, I feel the pw1960 is really amping the sound by a lot here a good db more for sure. Going to Romi yes it has siblance in voice to but not to a point to say my teeth are grinding, it feels more passable and I can live threw it... Voice on romi is airier I can sense the vocals extension very far away much further then what kmod offers. Its surprising how romi I know its BG caps, how impressively natural harmonical they are they just outperforms kmod in audiophile type music with ease and no fight. Kmod is very toe tapping sound for a less serious audiophile, romi is very musical tactical and precise for serious audiophiles no bargain here.

Wow impressive on the song All is one allan taylor, Romi just rapes here nuts! The layers textures and details that I can feel from hes voice are as detailed as you would zoom in and feel each tactile groove of hes grunting rippling voice. Just mind blowing how breathtaking this can be to hear feel and experience such detail retrieval. Again extremely natural alive airy and such nuances of layers and textures this is just hallelujah tigers ears blow me away!
Kmod slightly louder and more blacker on background, the voice is a very tad little siblant but mini mini. Timbral tonality is far from organic as romi I am missing it a lot here even if it was so feet tapping in the beginning.

Now we are back to ELECTRONICA WOO, Little by Little from lane 8 on this song I feel kmod has a good feel to it with a nice black background. the transitions are quick and dynamic. Once I switch to Romi oh wow I can feel atmospheric waviness of the music ! Its moving shaking rippling really amazing feel! I once more feel much more airier top end which allows for echoes to expand into such new unexplored territory that simply amazes me how this bg caps can be so deep and so extended in treble! Really airy I think BG are my new king of airiness and echoes!
Just switch back to Kmod interesting effect because kmod is offering more like clarity due to blacker background I can feel the treble to be more isolated and easier to discern but it kinda once more feels not as smooth and gentle as romi it just strikes hard and slams on my ears not to a point to hurt or create discomfort. Something I prefer on romi . ROMI SAVES the Tiger Ears ultrasonic hearing abilities :) Also for this song I was more toe tapping with romi :)

Ok lets test some rumbly bass! Winter Dub from emancipator has some seriously deep rumblazing bursting sub bass around 2min30. I feel Kmod offer some clean deep dark sub bass and clean echoes as well as it offers more clarity. But this is electronic music and I feel it benefits alot more from kmod rather romi. As if kmod is king of edm and romi is king of audiophile music type. I like the dark deep background on kmod very intimate feel.
Romi on the other hand adds echo and airy top, with a good rumbly sub bass to but not as tight or clear. The timbral tonality of bg adds this flavor of oranicity that dont seem to blend 100% well with all edm music. Its not as fun or nuanced as the kmod in this song. But stay assured it shakes the cage on the sub level equally and if the song has it romi goes deeper then kmod. Also kmod has more mid bass then romi so to keep in mind :)

Now something more aggressive and in electronic music type. Seeing things from dessert dwellers. Some very dynamic punchy and on some daps can be piercing treble spikes! Yes once more on kmod the transitions are much more pleasant and effective into wow territory. Clarity seems to help electronic music more as I guess it has no air by nature its artificially created music and mixed on a pc or what ever they use... On romi this is less appealing and fun. I would even say not as musical either then on kmod. Kmod black deep quick sub bass helps here bringing more fun factor. Romi's airiness is kinda in the way and creates a feel of airiness that inst there its a void with like a white noise? Tough its dark but I still feel something out there lol. Hello who is it ? aliens ? hahaha

My Big final word would be GOD DAMMIT you NEED both modded 1z darn my wallet ouch. There is no winner they are both amazing stellar performers and very differently tuned for different taste types!
I guess if you are into EDM then no brainer go for Kmod but if you dare for audiophile music, supremacy in accuracy and naturalness of the sound? Romi is King! Nothing will bring the organic timbral bliss it has to offer. It can reproduce sound in an outstanding natural way ! Very impressive! Mind blowing, waves are felt and experienced as your ears been dreaming of even before they where born!

Kmod is all might dark knight Vader haha, edm master and one BIG Toe tapping machine!
Both has there strengths and both can make your musical experience to be at the topest you can ever imagine! I love them both and I make this as an even FIGHT.

Big thanks to @hshock76 for sending me hes moded kmod 1z and for the trust in the ultimate Tiger Ears powers! Hallelujah friends enjoy the music life is short!

Also big Thanks to @Whitigir he is the one who recommended me to go with Romi mod!

This is my ultimate wm1z/Romi I think its time now to stop searching and start listening.

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #2,365 of 3,042
So here is my majestic review of the all time mightiest dap fight in the world !
I am no pro but my Tiger Ears Powers help me here and I feel I can tackle this task with confidence

So interesting the sub bass is much more prominent and elaborated on romi mod, its almost like kmod dont defined bass to same level....
On romi bass and sub bass is so soo ripley wavy I can feel awesome sound waves riple threw my chest. On kmod its there but almost as not low and organic...

Another interesting fact, here on the song watt the fox dunes, the Kmod is more musical and feet taping vs Romi as it has a blacker background and the transition is more transparent? With Romi it has more air and with that comes some more details and maybe background has slight air noise ... The transitions are more airy vs black clear background on kmod...
I feel like Romi hit deeper and lower with an organic timbral resonance. Kmod is more in the mid bass hitting and with blacker background creates a more wow effect, I really love kmod with this song...
Romi is easier on the ears, kmod more agitated aggressive a little, it wants to attack more :) Tiger ears felt threatened here.

With the track out of silence, I feel same thing blacker background on kmod less airy but the black background creates such a feel and blissful transitions very interesting and it opens great details ability! While romi wins in sub region and feels less fatiguing to my view vs kmod as in kmod bass hit harder and more! and its in more in mid bass region.. Those Bg caps are very sexy here :)

Ok here we have Serbian dance from suduaya and ROMI wins on this track. Much more musical better transitions and I can plunge into the music just drives my soul so well!
Even the blacker background of kmod not helping, something just feels off missing, the ambience, atmosphere the mass of the sound is felt missing, not emotional not dropping a tear here haha. So I just swapped to Romi and boom treble is up so emotional crispier and it just plays with my soul in a musical romantic way. I can feel the ground rattle the air from bg here is so wow just bang bang Tiger ears are happy hahaha Also vocals blend well into the atmosphere creating a nice holographic airy feel. Like its happening in an open area not closed studio even if its electronic music!!

On the song Elyne Road from ali farka toure, the strings wins on romi just by a serious margin, so musical so a live so real! Just airy natural beautiful it simply sings and shines! marvelous. Kmod feels harsher and less romantic like I feel it slapping me with strings rather then caressing :) and yes here airy BG caps wins due to the airiness. With Kmod strings are loud and sharp not as soft and gentle. Its great it has black background it kinda feels clearer but not adding more resolution tough. Even if romi airy feel can be perceived as in the way to clarity it still offer a better resolution in layers and textures...

High life ( dsd jazz at the pawnshop ) well well here we got a tie, romi sound very real life like and more spacious, vast atmosphere feel, treble less sparkly and of course the background is more airy introducing some feel to it rather then just clear black font... On kmod it feels louder I have to say but the timbral resonance is not as natural as the romi presents! Like I feel Kmod is so so feet tapping at first, fun cool and lets dance! Romi seems to be more serious guy LOL not analytical but dang accurate and realistic! I guess that is why I am less toe tapping vs kmod as its serious listen kmod is fun listen!
Once more I want to add that I feel more layers and details from the bass and more romantic treble like very smooth and gentle not silky like akm but natural sweet normal like you would hear with your ears in reality :) That was Romi :

Willie and the Hand Jive ! starting my song with kmod right away toe tapping fun dancing and lot of warm thick sound pleasure and fun yes. I can say right away in this song Vocals are much more forward on kmod and that feels more pleasant as I do love forward vocals. Its not huge but it helps. In this song some reasons the bass is behind the voice on kmod and in romi bass is in front of the vocals... I give it a win to Kmod for this track as its very musical fun and very toe tapping :) Romi seems to emphasis the bass and vocals are less appealing to my ears. Yes it feels more airy the guitar is more expansive and enveloping rather the kmod feels tight fast punchy, also more dynamic to. Not sure why romi lost here maybe it has actually shown how bad is the song ROFL

A road too long from allan taylor. Here I started the listen with kmod and on this track the male voice feels bright sharp and hissy, Oh nooo hiss aaaa. Not big deal this song is prone to hiss and I use it specially for the hiss test hehe, smart tiger hein ;p
Again here to the music feels much louder then romi, I feel the pw1960 is really amping the sound by a lot here a good db more for sure. Going to Romi yes it has siblance in voice to but not to a point to say my teeth are grinding, it feels more passable and I can live threw it... Voice on romi is airier I can sense the vocals extension very far away much further then what kmod offers. Its surprising how romi I know its BG caps, how impressively natural harmonical they are they just outperforms kmod in audiophile type music with ease and no fight. Kmod is very toe tapping sound for a less serious audiophile, romi is very musical tactical and precise for serious audiophiles no bargain here.

Wow impressive on the song All is one allan taylor, Romi just rapes here nuts! The layers textures and details that I can feel from hes voice are as detailed as you would zoom in and feel each tactile groove of hes grunting rippling voice. Just mind blowing how breathtaking this can be to hear feel and experience such detail retrieval. Again extremely natural alive airy and such nuances of layers and textures this is just hallelujah tigers ears blow me away!
Kmod slightly louder and more blacker on background, the voice is a very tad little siblant but mini mini. Timbral tonality is far from organic as romi I am missing it a lot here even if it was so feet tapping in the beginning.

Now we are back to ELECTRONICA WOO, Little by Little from lane 8 on this song I feel kmod has a good feel to it with a nice black background. the transitions are quick and dynamic. Once I switch to Romi oh wow I can feel atmospheric waviness of the music ! Its moving shaking rippling really amazing feel! I once more feel much more airier top end which allows for echoes to expand into such new unexplored territory that simply amazes me how this bg caps can be so deep and so extended in treble! Really airy I think BG are my new king of airiness and echoes!
Just switch back to Kmod interesting effect because kmod is offering more like clarity due to blacker background I can feel the treble to be more isolated and easier to discern but it kinda once more feels not as smooth and gentle as romi it just strikes hard and slams on my ears not to a point to hurt or create discomfort. Something I prefer on romi . ROMI SAVES the Tiger Ears ultrasonic hearing abilities :) Also for this song I was more toe tapping with romi :)

Ok lets test some rumbly bass! Winter Dub from emancipator has some seriously deep rumblazing bursting sub bass around 2min30. I feel Kmod offer some clean deep dark sub bass and clean echoes as well as it offers more clarity. But this is electronic music and I feel it benefits alot more from kmod rather romi. As if kmod is king of edm and romi is king of audiophile music type. I like the dark deep background on kmod very intimate feel.
Romi on the other hand adds echo and airy top, with a good rumbly sub bass to but not as tight or clear. The timbral tonality of bg adds this flavor of oranicity that dont seem to blend 100% well with all edm music. Its not as fun or nuanced as the kmod in this song. But stay assured it shakes the cage on the sub level equally and if the song has it romi goes deeper then kmod. Also kmod has more mid bass then romi so to keep in mind :)

Now something more aggressive and in electronic music type. Seeing things from dessert dwellers. Some very dynamic punchy and on some daps can be piercing treble spikes! Yes once more on kmod the transitions are much more pleasant and effective into wow territory. Clarity seems to help electronic music more as I guess it has no air by nature its artificially created music and mixed on a pc or what ever they use... On romi this is less appealing and fun. I would even say not as musical either then on kmod. Kmod black deep quick sub bass helps here bringing more fun factor. Romi's airiness is kinda in the way and creates a feel of airiness that inst there its a void with like a white noise? Tough its dark but I still feel something out there lol. Hello who is it ? aliens ? hahaha

My Big final word would be GOD DAMMIT you NEED both modded 1z darn my wallet ouch. There is no winner they are both amazing stellar performers and very differently tuned for different taste types!
I guess if you are into EDM then no brainer go for Kmod but if you dare for audiophile music, supremacy in accuracy and naturalness of the sound? Romi is King! Nothing will bring the organic timbral bliss it has to offer. It can reproduce sound in an outstanding natural way ! Very impressive! Mind blowing, waves are felt and experienced as your ears been dreaming of even before they where born!

Kmod is all might dark knight Vader haha, edm master and one BIG Toe tapping machine!
Both has there strengths and both can make your musical experience to be at the topest you can ever imagine! I love them both and I make this as an even FIGHT.

Big thanks to @hshock76 for sending me hes moded kmod 1z and for the trust in the ultimate Tiger Ears powers! Hallelujah friends enjoy the music life is short!

Also big Thanks to @Whitigir he is the one who recommended me to go with Romi mod!

This is my ultimate wm1z/Romi I think its time now to stop searching and start listening.
I keep thinking Silver Interconnect wires vs Copper is also playing a part here.
A true comparison for the capacitors would be both wired similarly...Iv'e personally never been a fan of Silver cables, they tend to be very analytical and dry.
Either way, Great Breakdown :) enjoy the players, and looking forward to hearing what else you have to say about the differences.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #2,366 of 3,042
I keep thinking Silver Interconnect wires vs Copper is also playing a part here.
A true comparison for the capacitors would be both wired similarly...Iv'e personally never been a fan of Silver cables, they tend to be very analytical and dry.
Either way, Great Breakdown :)

@Morbideath is the one that has the exact same setup but with full copper cables... I guess hes 1z would be the best comparison vs mine :) to test the caps. I can say Silver setup makes things very natural!

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #2,367 of 3,042

I am more impressed with your writing "paw"ers than the performance of the modded walkmans!

Your Romi should sound even better with more burning in.The BGs in my opinion contributes to the textured bass performance and improvement in all areas of technicalities. The KMod proto unit is impressive considering it has only wire updates but ultimately can't be on the same levels as Romi's and @Whitigir EM mods. The Caps plus FW optimized to fully maximize the additional HW mods makes a big diff.

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #2,368 of 3,042
Sorry really can't help derailing
24CB7894-793D-4357-9F43-C352A75104D2.jpeg

@Vitaly2017 Romi's Bass performance fluctuates quite a bit during burn-in. But on first listen i immediately found more Bass textures revealing than MS1Z and deeper subbass.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #2,369 of 3,042
Sorry really can't help derailing

@Vitaly2017 Romi's Bass performance fluctuates quite a bit during burn-in. But on first listen i immediately found more Bass textures revealing than MS1Z and deeper subbass.

Yes ! that is what I feel and it didnt took me that much time to feel it hehe I am getting good ! Ears practicing is helping here. More hours you listen better you get :gs1000smile: to the golden ears :)

Now what happen to those hd800s lol? Romi is modifying it?
How does it sound?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #2,370 of 3,042

Wow this was awesome! Thank you Mr Tiger!
Sounds like the K-Mod would be right up my alley. I have been very curious to hear a comparison between these two and you did an awesome job. Thanks again Legend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back