Modifying the Xiang Sheng 708B [56K!!!!]
Jun 3, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #197 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer061zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I am still here and I am thinking of suing the head amp as a preamp.
have gotten some holand musicaps for the job, let's just see when's the time to do so.

i have mine running as an amp and a preamp. as a preamp, it made my crappy speakers sound worlds better.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #198 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Random Murderer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the jack itself is not hard to replace, the real challenge is either finding a jack with the same pinout or an open jack that's long enough to fit through the aluminium panel.

Aren't the only relevant pins R, L, and G? The stock jack has several others, but they seem to serve only to secure the jack to the circuit board. I ask because I soldered a jack I had around from an ancient sony CD player, and now I'm not getting amplified sound from either channel.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #199 of 223
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_Ri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't the only relevant pins R, L, and G? The stock jack has several others, but they seem to serve only to secure the jack to the circuit board. I ask because I soldered a jack I had around from an ancient sony CD player, and now I'm not getting amplified sound from either channel.

I might have sething for you from my stach of spares. Let me see what i can find during my "operation" this weekend to put in the musicaps for the preamp out.

Random,

Yeah i have experience the same thing too with some vishay output caps, and i going for the musicaps now to see what mmore i can achieve. currently it adds depth to my t-amp, and my tube amp as a preamp. this isverify by my gf who happened to have better ears.

Can i check if anyone knows what am i adjusting if i were to alter the values for the input caps.

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #202 of 223
After having owned the Xiang Sheng 708B for about a year and after having read this thread, I decided to have a go at modding it. I had already done the easy parts almost at the start, exchanging the power cord for a Lapp Ölflex, and rolling the signal tubes to military grade Russian ones. Until I did my final mods I was actually really happy with the amp, and at that time I couldn't imagine how it could possibly sound better (little did I know !
biggrin.gif
).

I must first say that I had not had a soldering iron in my hands for 25 years up until two months ago, when I slowly started to recable some of my headphones, just to practice and warm up for the amp project. I read this whole thread and made a plan of what I would want to change and how much money to spend. This took me a while, but then I placed my order at PartsConnection, where I ordered most parts, with the exception of the hookup wire and coupling caps, which I ordered at the Hong Kong-based DIY Hifi Supply.

I removed or replaced everything except all wiring connected to the transformer, the mains switch, headphone socket, two main filter caps to which I added a bleeder resistor. I removed the display tube with LEDs, the input caps and the complete pre-amp stage to make place for the new bigger caps.

This is what I used as replacements:

Black Gate VK 150uF output caps: I decided not to use film caps here, because they would either be too big and expensive or of too low value for my taste. I like my bass clean and I didn't want to introduce any phase shifts into the audible spectrum.

Solen 22uF MKP filter bypass caps: I have read here that these are not that convincing in the signal path, but are excellent in a power supply. They barely fitted in the space vacated by the showcase tube.

Obbligato Premium Gold 0.22uF coupling caps: They should provide excellent value for money. See this review and comparison. Can be had on DIY Hifi Supply website, but they also sell through the auction site.

I replaced the potmeter with an Audio Note that is supposedly even a little better than the Alps Blue. I replaced the diodes with Vishay's. I replaced almost all resistors with the exception of the two large ones at the main filter caps. I used the better ones for the crucial locations: Caddock MK132 at the input, Mills MRA-5 wirewounds at the output, with the rest a mixture of Kiwame, PRP and Takman. I replaced the RCA connectors, and used Wonder Solder to fix everything in place. For the signal wire I used solid high purity soft-annealed silver wire from Hong Kong.

While I was at it, I managed to auction a pair of Amperex Bugle Boys, which I used to replace the pair of Russian tubes. I thought, now that I was going to burn in for hundreds of hours for the Black Gates, I might as well get some better tubes as well. The only thing that's missing is some Bendix or Tung Sol 2C51, but that will come. I have auctioned a cheap RCA 5670 in the mean time, which should also be an improvement over the Russian one.

Here are the before and after pics:

XS_original.jpg
XS_modded.jpg

I was a little afraid I would inadvertedly destroy my valuable amp, but it worked out fine in the end. I forgot to ground the pot, which created a hum, but besides that it was great fun and very rewarding. I started to burn her in, and couldn't resist listening to it after about 20 hours. If I wouldn't have had previous experience with burn-in, I might have wept at that point. It sounded awful. I did the same yesterday at 40 hours and it already sounds much better, not as smooth and coherent as it was, but with much more detail and musicality. I'm sure the rough edges will disappear during the rest of the burn in. I'll keep you posted.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #203 of 223
Nice
smily_headphones1.gif

I am eyeing one XS aswell and if everything favours me ill be getting one in a week or so. Now I am sure that I want to mod aswell. Probably should start with caps and tubes. Does anyone know if there is a place in London somewhere where I could buy electronics parts? Yeah sure I could order them but it would be comfortable to go and get them quick.
Hmm as I posess full HD video camera I should probably make a video log which shows the modding process. I could combine my passion for tinkering and soldering with my proffessional fetish for design and video production
smily_headphones1.gif
. But hey who knows how it goes.
So if anyone can point me to the right direction as from where can I get replacement tubes and stuff..

Regards,

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #205 of 223
could be multiple things.
it could be the transformer, but since the humming is intermittent i would bet against it. my bet is that the humming isn't even coming from the amp, rather something around it or the mains circuit it's on.
do you have any magnetic or wireless devices in close proximity to your amp? what else is on that particular circuit? something like a fan or a tv can cause interference.
also make sure that your signal cables(rca or whatever they may be) aren't getting interference from anything, either.

Dec 25, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #206 of 223
Once again reviving an old thread that shouldn't ever die...

First off, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

It's been a very long time since I've visited this thread (or the site really). There's phases I go through. One minute I'm into headphones, the next I'm into cars, the next I'm into my 2-ch analog set-up, then I'm into car audio, etc, etc... It's a very viscous cycle and usually ends up costing me many hard earned $$$ in the process. A lot has changed since I was last here, and I do mean a lot. I have moved, I have a new car, I have all new stereo equipment and speakers, I have a bunch of new kitty cats, and most importantly, I have a new, wonderful girlfriend that I've been with for a year and a half now! She's very techy and nerdy like me, so she easily copes with my many expensive obsessions.

Anyway, the reason for getting this thread back up and running is that I have had my 708B sitting collecting dust for the past 2+ years, totally unused at my parents' house. I finally decided to go get it and bring it home with me. My old Technics SU-8099 integrated amp that I have been using for my dedicated 2-ch analog system died recently. I've been using my little KingRex Pre-amp in the meantime which sounds great but lacks many inputs. For the amplification end of the system, I revived an old Baldwin electronic organ tube amp that's been modified to run in stereo. I recapped it and rolled all the tubes in it and this sucker sounds better than any of the amps I've had in the past, running a quad of coin base Russian 6L6's in P-P. Since I have three turntables in my system, and no way to play them, I just bought an Accuphase C-200 preamp that I'm going to use. Being that it's 30 years old, I'm going to start recapping it soon once I get a parts list worked up. It's a killer of a preamp that still pulls a premium of close to $1k today, and it sold new for $1,800 30 years ago! It also surpasses many new preamps of today costing upwards of $5k!!

My point to this whole post is that the planning of recapping the Accuphase made me think about the Xiang Sheng 708B and all the mods and recapping I did with it, which is why I decided to go pick it up from my parents house and try it out again. I brought it home just a few days ago. I dusted it inside and out, did a visual check to make sure everything was still okay with it, reseated all the tubes a couple times, plugged my old iPhone 3G that is now reduced to an iPod Touch as I have a new iPhone 4. I plugged the power cord into it, plugged in my old and trusted Sony MDR7506 cans and fired it up. Once the tubes got up to temp I could smell the smell of dust cooking. LOL  As expected, the amp still works flawlessly and sounds excellent. This morning I just plugged in my newly acquired AT ATH-A700 cans which have only 50 hours or so on them. These cans work well with the amp and sound more refined than the Sony's. They also offer up a fuller, more forward midrange. Like someone else said a few posts back, I fell in love with my 708B all over again! And another plus, my girlfriend likes it a lot too. She thinks it's cool that it's a tube amp and never heard of using a dedicated amp for headphones! Haha

I hope some of you guys are still around with these amps. If you are, post up a few new shots of your Xiang Sheng 708B and a small list of the mods done!

A few recent pics of mine taken with a camera app on my iPhone 4...

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #208 of 223
Well, I am still around. My xiangsheng have been restore to its original state except for all the changed parts. Was working in China in the last 2years plus and managed to locate the manufacturer and restore it back to its original look with the tube in front.

Since then I have left it at my mum's place, will be getting it back for some good old fun once I settler into my new place.

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #209 of 223

Quote:
Well, I am still around. My xiangsheng have been restore to its original state except for all the changed parts. Was working in China in the last 2years plus and managed to locate the manufacturer and restore it back to its original look with the tube in front.

Since then I have left it at my mum's place, will be getting it back for some good old fun once I settler into my new place.

Just curious as to why you restored it to its original state?...

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #210 of 223
I've just bought one of these, but the gain is crazy high. A few degrees and it becomes too loud to listen to. What can I do to decrease the gain? I plan on fitting a different volume pot (Alps blue), so is there anything I can do there to improve things, such as buy a different rated pot (I don't know the value of the stock potentiometer), or perhaps bung in a couple of different rating resistors (if so which ones should I change)?

Also, can anyone recommend some cheapish but decent caps that I could consider using for a recap (as per the OP)? I don't really want to spend ~£10 per capacitor at this stage! I've already added a pair of bleeder resistors over the filter caps, and will look at some other resistors for the rest of the amp too.

Finally, the 'show valve' in the window - what needs to be done in order to remove this? Is it as simple as simple de-soldering it, or does anything need putting in its place (i.e. will the amp work witout it and without any additional components?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back