Modify a Go-Dap 3?
Mar 23, 2013 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

jonnio

100+ Head-Fier
From the looks of things you could modify the Go-Dap 3 by cutting the "case" portion off and use it with any other i-Device.  Has anyone tried this?  I have been drooling over a VAMP or VAMP VERZA for a while, but for $20 I might be able to get by for a while with a slightly ghettofied setup.

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 78
It will work, and you can just use an extension cable if you don't want to destroy the case.

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 78
Quote:
It will work, and you can just use an extension cable if you don't want to destroy the case.

Thanks -- That's what I ordered to start.  I got a Go-Dap 3 and an extension cable.  I will still probably mill the case away and use some rubber bands to hold either my phone or my ipod classic to the amp.  I figured for $26 it's worth the gamble!

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 78
Oh yeah definitely.  I recommended it because both the VAMP and VERZA are VentureCraft Go-DAP based AMP/DAC, so you know the quality is there.  And for $20 is sure will beat out those FiiO stuff at any price.

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 78
Quote:
Where the hell is it only 20 dollars

Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Dap-GD-03-iPhone3GS-Made-Japan/dp/B0060H646G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364169264&sr=8-1&keywords=go+dap+3

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 78
It's an oldie but still a goody, and for $20 it's steal.  I am actually quite temped to get one just to toy with it.

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 78
If you have a Nano or an iPod Touch with 30 pin connector, it should fit in the Go-Dap 3 without any modification.  I've used the Go-Dap 3 with the first- and third-generation Nanos no problem, along with the 3rd Gen Touch.  All of them need some kind of material behind them to keep them secure and fill in the space somewhat.  VentureCraft "unofficially" suggests some cloth, IIRC.  

The idea of removing some of the plastic to allow this amp to be more "universal" is interesting.  I would be curious if anyone figures out how to dock the unit with a 30-pin iPad without any additional cable.  Another possibility might be the iPod Classic, but I think the dock connector might be too close to the amp back even if some plastic is removed.

Using this amp with a 30-pin extender cable works fine.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 78
Quote:
If you have a Nano or an iPod Touch with 30 pin connector, it should fit in the Go-Dap 3 without any modification.  I've used the Go-Dap 3 with the first- and third-generation Nanos no problem, along with the 3rd Gen Touch.  All of them need some kind of material behind them to keep them secure and fill in the space somewhat.  VentureCraft "unofficially" suggests some cloth, IIRC.  

The idea of removing some of the plastic to allow this amp to be more "universal" is interesting.  I would be curious if anyone figures out how to dock the unit with a 30-pin iPad without any additional cable.  Another possibility might be the iPod Classic, but I think the dock connector might be too close to the amp back even if some plastic is removed.

Using this amp with a 30-pin extender cable works fine.

I will report back - Mine will be here tomorrow

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 78
Quote:
I will report back - Mine will be here tomorrow

Can't wait, and it will be great if you can post any photos of your mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back