Modifcations for a cheap Logitech amp/sub?
Feb 12, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #61 of 74
Well...I got all the stuff in yesterday. First thing I have to say: Logitech circuit boards are the biggest pieces of sh!t in the world. I tore about 50% of the pads off the bottom. Wound up having to put about 8 jumpers on the bottom of the board to compensate for me tearing off pads. I've never had a board where simply heating up a joint on medium heat would lift the pad. It was nuts....Even so, I got it working. Hopefully nothing comes loose. It's going to be stationary so I don't really see how that could happen. It's a MESS. But....it works. I didn't even bother to replace the really small electrolytics. The medium sized ones were already a pain in the arse. But it is pretty enterataining to see Nichicon FGs, KWs and Panasonic FMs on this piece of crap board. :wink:....This board has really turned me off to doing anything special with it at all. I'm just going to try to get it working and get the new speakers hooked up and get it over with...=P

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #62 of 74
The PCB was probably designed for wave soldering and was never intended to have parts replaced ( if it brakes while still in warranty it's cheaper to replace the unit than to repair it ). I didn't bother to replace parts and modify the PCB on the x-140 , I just removed the IC and reused it on veroboard .

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #63 of 74
Yeah, I know it was never meant for components to be replaced....It's a super cheap unit. But I wanted to shoot myself in the foot desoldering/resoldering stuff. It does work, so I guess that's all I care about. I just got one of the subs in the mail about 30 minutes ago. Running off a 7.5W amp @ half power (because its an 8ohms and amp is stable at 4ohms), not in an enclosure, and using 22AWG wire....and it still sounds awesome!

I'll get some pictures up for anyone interested.

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #64 of 74

(Above): Attached the big black heatsink to the stock one. It goes through holes I drilled out but I don't really thing its doing much. =P

(Below:) Nichicon Muse FGs and some Panasonic FMs.

(Below:) Nichicon FW audio cap on the power supply another Panasonic FM. Unfortuneatly, I left some CapXons on the board. The pads are so small for those, I didn't want to risk destroying the entire project.

(Below:) More Panasonic FMs. In the foreground is a Nichicon FW. Still have some Samxons on the board. They're small so I'm hoping they won't have much effect on the sound.

(Below:) Next one is pretty scary huh? Yikes. Somehow that works...Only God knows how.

(Below:) Still waiting on my second HiVi M4N driver to come in...But here's one of em.

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #67 of 74
Bah humbug. It's not working now. I've checked everything and I'm lost as to what has happened....It just makes a popping sound when I turn it on and I can't get crap from it.

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #69 of 74
I knew this would happen...and I did it for some reason anyway. I'm so dumb. What made me think that I could just overhaul a Logitech amp board.  Damnit, I'm a retard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back