Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Jun 24, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #647 of 1,323
You need to link the .jpg paths...

https://i.ibb.co/D1ZvyL7/20190624-164943.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/Jp9fLds/20190624-164835.jpg

Have the T50RP Mk3 Argons (with ZMF Lambskin pads) and ordered the T60RP Argons. Clarity of the T50RP Mk3 is really good to me, not Focal Clear or STAX L-series level, but definitely beyond most mid-tier headphones I've heard. At least as good as a driver damped Fostex TH-X00. Pretty sure my Gustard rig (X20U DAC & H10 amp) helps it too...amp is designed specifically for driving planar magnetic headphones (but works phenominally for Fostex biodynas and Sennheiser HD 6XX/58X as well).

When you get the T60RP please let me know how they compare. I actually took the jumpers out of the Emotiva and they sound much more clear now. It was definitely the noise floor creeping up into the sound. They still have plenty of volume without the jumpers and the soundstage effect is still there.

I might get the Gustard H10, I've read good things. I got the Emotiva because I had extra speakers and wanted it to drive a near field set up at my desk. I figured powering the Argons was a bonus. Is Gustard H10 a massdrop product?

Edit: Wow I just looked up the price of that DAC. Do you feel more expensive DACs offer benefits over less expensive DACs? I haven't ever had a really high quality DAC to compare with the lower end stuff I've been using.

I just got a promotion at work and for the first time I have a good amount of expendable income for hobbies like audio.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #650 of 1,323
I'm gonna go right out and say it.. But I wonder if even mods need burn in time too? Mine sounded kinda muffled when I got em in April. Over the weeks, the sound opened up A TON and they have smoothed out alot. It's just like when I got my original Fostex T40s.. It took awhile for the sweetness of the planar to come thru. I do take mines out in the wild and it's fine. You need a good amp to power em for them to reach their potential. I use a Rha Dacamp and it makes the Argons move. That said.... On certain setups you may hafta EQ the treble up for a good balance over the bass.

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #651 of 1,323
I actually took the jumpers out of the Emotiva and they sound much more clear now. It was definitely the noise floor creeping up into the sound. They still have plenty of volume without the jumpers and the soundstage effect is still there
I wonder if the T60RP is more sensitive than the T50RP. I also use the A100 amp and find the noise floor almost imperceptible on my Argons, which are based on the TX0 (T50RP MK2).

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #652 of 1,323
I wonder if the T60RP is more sensitive than the T50RP. I also use the A100 amp and find the noise floor almost imperceptible on my Argons, which are based on the TX0 (T50RP MK2).

It's not too bad, just not crystal clear. When you're used to listening to IEMs and more neutral headphones at lower volume the Argons at high volume sound kinda veiled I guess. Maybe they need burn in. I put the jumpers back in and I still feel like on some songs I can hear the noise floor and it's mixing with the part of the frequency spectrum people refer to as 'air' less audible and that is what is creating the 'veil'. It's especially audible at the end of tracks that fade out.

I've also read that the A-100 can be a crapshoot. Some units have a lower noise floor than others.

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #653 of 1,323
I actually picked up the X20U DAC used from a forum member for 1/2 of what it would cost new... wasn't looking to spend what they cost new. Had a Schiit Bifrost at the time...the Gustard X20U has fuller sound with better presentation of low end and a great presentation of dynamics and smoother, more natural sound. Schiit Bifrost sounded harsher, leaner, and less dynamic. Of the DACs I've had (Audioquest DFR, JDS Labs EL DAC, Schiit Bifrost, Gustard X20U, and RME ADI-2 DAC) the Gustard X20U is probably my favorite for non-electrostatic use and the RME ADI-2 DAC is best for my Electrostatic rig.

The H10 was on Massdrop (that's how I got the two I have, since was REALLY good price) but was not a Massdrop exclusive item. Will be hard to get though as it's been discontinued for a few years now - would need to find someone selling a used one. They also have thermal issues that require modding to make them reliable... would not really ever recommend running one stock. Basically need to adding heat sinks to various components and vent the cover. Also I'm running different opamps than the stock ones (Burson V6 Vivid singles and Classic duals) which give further refinement and clarity to the sound.

STOCK H10

MODDED H10

The GU-STACK...

I like a warmer, more organic sound signature and Gustard gear seems to deliver very well for that. No matter the brand you are interested in, I'd recommend looking for used DACs and amps in the classifieds sections here. You can find really good deals with some patience and diligent searching. I'd much rather go with a used higher end DAC or amp than new lower end one for minimal overall price difference.

Other highly recommended DACs that aren't "too" expensive are the Soekris DAC 1321 and the DENAFRIPS Ares... if I ever have to replace the Gustard X20U it will probably be with the DENAFRIPS Ares. And if I have to replace a Gustard H10, I would want a Dynalo architecture amp...specifically a Mjolnir Audio version.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #654 of 1,323
Thanks for the kind words! I love the 58Xs also. With many types of music (rock , blues, faster music), I actually prefer the 58Xs to the HD600s and the HD6XXs. The soundstage on the 58Xs can be made wider by removing the foam behind the outer grills. With the foam removed the soundstage on the 58X is actually wider than the HD600s and HD6XXs. Performing the foam damping mod to the back of the drivers (see the 58X thread) makes a huge difference in detail and clarity. If you use Sonic Barrier foam material from Parts Express the difference is even greater. Putting Sonic Barrier on the back of the driver improves the detail level to point where they are the equal of the HD600s and HD6XXs and at that point the preference for each phone really comes down to which frequency response you prefer.

I which I could give comparisons between the Argons and HD800s as I've not heard the HD800s. Hope to change that one day however. From all indications the HD800s are probably wider than the Argons, but that's purely going on what I read.

What I love about the Argons is they just sound right to me. They are not the most analytical or technical phone that I've heard, but man are they fun to listen to! You tend to just kick back and enjoy the tunes with them where with many other phones you're analyzing the music. There's a lot to be said for that imho.
Thanks for the kind words! I love the 58Xs also. With many types of music (rock , blues, faster music), I actually prefer the 58Xs to the HD600s and the HD6XXs. The soundstage on the 58Xs can be made wider by removing the foam behind the outer grills. With the foam removed the soundstage on the 58X is actually wider than the HD600s and HD6XXs. Performing the foam damping mod to the back of the drivers (see the 58X thread) makes a huge difference in detail and clarity. If you use Sonic Barrier foam material from Parts Express the difference is even greater. Putting Sonic Barrier on the back of the driver improves the detail level to point where they are the equal of the HD600s and HD6XXs and at that point the preference for each phone really comes down to which frequency response you prefer.

I which I could give comparisons between the Argons and HD800s as I've not heard the HD800s. Hope to change that one day however. From all indications the HD800s are probably wider than the Argons, but that's purely going on what I read.

What I love about the Argons is they just sound right to me. They are not the most analytical or technical phone that I've heard, but man are they fun to listen to! You tend to just kick back and enjoy the tunes with them where with many other phones you're analyzing the music. There's a lot to be said for that imho.
I
had been listening to classical music most of the time (about 99%) before HD58X changed it all! Since that my rock and blues music has become my addiction! Never thought it can be so enjoyable and fun. 58Xs are So lovely and dynamic that they suck you in... it's like being immersed in a shower of music. Love it!
Now, I would be in heaven if I managed to find cans that would do the same magic to my classical tunes.
Would you recommend Argons?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #655 of 1,323
That's a very good question and something I'm going to have to get back to you on. I listen to classical on the HD600s most of the time so I can't remember listening to classical on the Argons. I'm going to have to do that and get back to you on that. My gut feeling is they probably will since I equate the Argons to being the headphone equivalents to my favorite loudspeakers-modified Polk SDAs (have several different pairs and models of these, all are excellent especially after mods). The SDAs have very wide soundstage and great low end slam like the Argons. I find the SDAs to be intoxicating with large orchestra, dynamic classical pieces (Scheherezede, 1812 Overture, Hungarian Rhapsody, Rumanian Rhapsody, etc.). I bet the Argons will have a similar effect. I'll get back to you on that soon.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #656 of 1,323
Just wanted to reply again with an update on the T60RP Argons. I've had a chance to burn them in, not sure if it's just me getting used to them, or if burn in actually does something. These are by far my favorite headphones. I already loved them for electronica, but I've been using them for other genres like classic rock (Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Steely Dan etc...) and absolutely loving them.

When I first heard 'The Dark Side of The Moon' through them, I wasn't super enthusiastic. Like I said, I don't know if it's the burn in, or me getting used to the sound signature, but now when I listen to that album through any of my other headphones, everything just sounds hollow and without body. I can't really imagine wanting anymore bass than these provide. There is plenty of bass here, trust me. The bass is strong enough to literally shake my head on a lot of tracks.

After ABing with other cans I thought had okay soundstage(6xx, PSB M4U 1), nothing really compares with these. I'm hoping to purchase the Focal Elex next and can't wait to see how these two compare. I suspect the Argon will stack up nicely against the Elex, with stronger bass and soundstage and the Elex taking the midrange/vocals and 'clarity' categories.

I would still like to A/B these against Argon MKIII just to see if there is really any difference. I suspect the Argon MKIII and the T60RP Argon probably sound very very similar with the biggest differences being cosmetic. To me the wood cups were worth the extra price. I am listening to these with the ZMF Oval Microsuede pads.

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #657 of 1,323
Would love to hear your comparison to the Mk3 as well. I'm not sure there's a soul outside of Ryan who has auditioned both models, or at least who has posted about it!

Jul 4, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #658 of 1,323
I would be interested as well in that comparison. I want to get an Argon headset, and trying to decide between the MKIII Argon or the T60RP Argon. As @SonicDistortion mentioned and from what I have seen from my research is that people do think the only difference in the end would be the wooden cups most likely. If that is the case, then to me the wooden cups would for sure be worth the extra cost (to me).

I am also going to send in my T-XO MKII to be modded as well. I never did like them when I first got them and they have since just been sitting in the box. I will get those modded and then see if I still want to keep them or sell them off to someone else to enjoy.

I do have one last question about the headband strap options. I know Alcantara is a Vegan alternative that feels like suede, but vs the Deerskin option any difference in fit, comfort, or durability between the 2?

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #659 of 1,323
I
had been listening to classical music most of the time (about 99%) before HD58X changed it all! Since that my rock and blues music has become my addiction! Never thought it can be so enjoyable and fun. 58Xs are So lovely and dynamic that they suck you in... it's like being immersed in a shower of music. Love it!
Now, I would be in heaven if I managed to find cans that would do the same magic to my classical tunes.
Would you recommend Argons?

I've been listening to a lot of classical the last few hours on the Argons. I'm happy to say they sound absolutely amazing with classical! So much so that I think these are now my classical cans of choice. I whole heartedly recommend these cans for that genre and everything else I've heard on them for that matter. These are amazing cans!

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #660 of 1,323
Quick question to other Argon heads.. Any way to baffle the sound leak on Argons. I kinda got miffed when I slowly realized the soundleak on these is tons. I wear these on my commute and love using them outside the house, but I don't wanna be that dope on the bus or plane who plays his music for all within earshot. So I wonder if it's the Zmf pads causing the leakage... Or the Fostex cups... Or both. Mine are the T40 closed variation. Any advice?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back