Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Jun 1, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #601 of 1,326
Mine just arrived 2 days ago. I’m still getting used to them. Powering them balanced off of a THX 789 and Grace SDAC. Big soundstage, deep subbass. A little hot around 10khz, and occasionally sibliant. Also voices have a bit of a muffled sound like if you set the crossover on your subwoofer too high and you can make out the bass notes of a voice, sort of like bass bleeding into the mids or something. Sound a bit better after eq -3db at 10 kHz and -5db at 166hz, and +4db at 3khz and +2db at 6800hz. I’m currently burning them in with pink noise, we’ll see if anything changes.

Anyone else have an eq profile they like? Maybe planars just aren't my thing, I wasnt a big fan of the Mobius lol. My favorite sounding headphone currently is the E-MU Purpleheart CAL! mod. The have a nice energy and crispness too the treble that stops just short or sibliance or fatigue, I really like it
I can't say I hear the same thing as you, but maybe it is due to equipment used (I use them with Emotiva BasX A-100 with jumpers installed, so plenty of power). My Philips Fidelio has not came out of the box once since I got the Argons.

Jun 1, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #602 of 1,326
I can't say I hear the same thing as you, but maybe it is due to equipment used (I use them with Emotiva BasX A-100 with jumpers installed, so plenty of power). My Philips Fidelio has not came out of the box once since I got the Argons.

I don't dislike it, it's very good, it just has some mid bass bleed and a bit too much sizzle and not enough crispness to the treble if you know what I mean lol. I'm guessing they are well powered, I don't have the basX but the thx 789 on high gain out of the balanced connection outputs plenty of power I'm pretty sure. I do think it sounds a bit better off my ES100, if not a bit underpowered since I don't have a 2.5mm balanced connection. Overall a better response but less energy and fullness to the bass and a bit less separation than my desktop setup

Jun 1, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #603 of 1,326
When playing this video

Do you hear a bit too much bass in his voice, almost like the bassyness of his voice is separate from the midrange of his voice? Kinda like if you set a sub crossover too high and you can almost hear the voice coming out of the sub.
The EQ I posted does get rid of that though

Jun 1, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #604 of 1,326
When playing this video

Do you hear a bit too much bass in his voice, almost like the bassyness of his voice is separate from the midrange of his voice? Kinda like if you set a sub crossover too high and you can almost hear the voice coming out of the sub.
The EQ I posted does get rid of that though

Yes, a little bit. But this might be the way he process his voice during editing. I play with Adobe Audition too (I produce a podcast from time to time) and there are ways to make voice more or less bassy. It might be something to do with headphones too, but these are not reference headphones. If you look for "correct" vocals, these are not the best headphone for the job. Think of them as headphones for fun. If you want to listen to good bassy music or play a game or watch a movie. Something to relax, rather than for work. These are perfect for that.

Jun 9, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #607 of 1,326
I emailed them last week just to check on shipping options because UPS has lost several packages for me the last few weeks, and they said I should be ready in the next few days (and that they ship USPS). I ordered on March 20.

Jun 9, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #608 of 1,326
I emailed them last week just to check on shipping options because UPS has lost several packages for me the last few weeks, and they said I should be ready in the next few days (and that they ship USPS). I ordered on March 20.

That's disappointing. I'm roughly one week behind you. I guess I've waited this long, waiting a couple more weeks isn't a big deal, but I am let down. I got my amplifier last week and was really expecting to get them by now. You're almost at 11 weeks now.

I ordered mine with the balanced wiring, I wonder if that makes a difference.

Thank you for the reply. It's good to know it's not just my order and that he is a little behind.

Jun 9, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #609 of 1,326
I went balanced as well, and I think it makes a difference. Otherwise, I don't mind the small delay from the posted leads at all. I'm sure they're too busy making things for folks to constantly change their estimates on lead times unless there's a gigantic flood like last year.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #611 of 1,326
Now this I want to hear. The T60s are just their own beast, and they're beautiful as a true mod on their own. I'd probably leave them as they were. The Argons might as well be a completely different set of cans from the time I've spent with them (with those friends willing to share).

Jun 9, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #612 of 1,326
From the description:

“After many requests we are finally ready to make a T60RP variant of the Argon available. The T60RP cups have resulted in a little less bass and a little more treble than a T50/T40/T20RP based Argon, but otherwise the same. ZMF Suede oval pads are my preference with this variation.”

Jun 10, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #614 of 1,326
I went balanced as well, and I think it makes a difference. Otherwise, I don't mind the small delay from the posted leads at all. I'm sure they're too busy making things for folks to constantly change their estimates on lead times unless there's a gigantic flood like last year.

It's not a huge deal for me either. And now that I've seen they have a T60RP version, I want that instead!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back