Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
May 23, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #1,156 of 1,323
I got a T60 Argon with MHA suede pads delivered 3 days ago and I'm seriously impressed with this headphone. How does the T60 Argons compare to the original T60RP? I purchased this because of the reviews and it's making me kind of curious how much of an actual improvement Modhouse made to these.
The regular T60RP was clean sounding with an emphasis in the treble detail; not much bass extension or presence; more intimate presentation. (working from memory here so take it with a grain of salt)

The T60 Argons are an improvement in every way to the regular T60RP IMO.

May 23, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #1,157 of 1,323
I went and got the upgraded pads and baffle for my T60 Argons.

Have to say, they do what they say on the tin:

The earpads offer a bigger soundstage (definitely a more spacious sound - which I love!) and more linear bass (not sure if it extends deeper or is just flatter through the bass frequencies that the T60 drivers operate at).

The baffle is supposed to reduce peaks in the upper midrange - I'm not sure I notice the difference but someone with a better trained ear might. I was hoping it may tame a little of the sibilance I hear, but its by no means a major issue for me as I do like a little bit of crisp. I think "essy" sounds sit higher up in the frequency range than the the area affected by the baffle. the rest of the mids do sound very nice with the baffle but I don't know if it's better than without the baffle. All I can say is I've put them in and am happy enough with the sound to leave them in. Actually, as I'm writing this I'm listening to Mdou Moctar and his Electric guitar not tearing my brain to bits, which is nice.

The biggest change I noticed is in pairing the T60 Argons with the ifi Micro iDSD Signature. With the ZMF pads the bass boost would have almost no impact on the sound, as though the bass was unnaturally boosted by those pads. With the new Modhouse pads bass is great without the bass boost - deep, clean, textured and punchy enough for me. The bass boost with the new pads makes the sound much bassier - great for some songs, but not all, sometimes too punchy and aggressive. I like having the flexibility to choose now.

I'd be interested to hear other people's takes on the new pads, but there are my thoughts... and if anyone is able put up before and after measurements that would be a nice bonus.
Agree with everything you said. The T60 Argons and ifi Micro iDSD Signature are like a match made in heaven.

May 23, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #1,158 of 1,323
I got a T60 Argon with MHA suede pads delivered 3 days ago and I'm seriously impressed with this headphone. How does the T60 Argons compare to the original T60RP? I purchased this because of the reviews and it's making me kind of curious how much of an actual improvement Modhouse made to these.
My memories are a bit fuzzy. I got the T60RP's on sale from Amazon about Feb. '21.
I used them for about a month. I found they had great clarity, decent bass and a nice soundstage. I really enjoyed them and decided to Argonize them.
I like them better as Argons, but I am not sure how much of that is due to the suede oval pads.
Overall it is a nice package at a pretty good price.

They are not favourites in my collection, but everytime I put them on after not hearing them for a few weeks I wear a broad smile. But they Really do need bass boost/EQ, IMO.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #1,159 of 1,323
Agree with everything you said. The T60 Argons and ifi Micro iDSD Signature are like a match made in heaven.
I agree totally, except that in my case, it is: T60 Argons to iFi Pro iCAN.:L3000:
They work on other amps, but they Love the bass boost.

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #1,160 of 1,323
I received my T60 Argon’s today so I’m very happy. I bought them to listen in my living room without disturbing my wife despite the fact that she has never complained about me listening to my Arya’s whilst she does her thing. She definitely approves of them however.
My initial impression was quite V shaped with a slightly bloomy bass and a treble that could be slightly harsh. With 10 hours on them I feel the V has flattened, smoothed perhaps, the bass sounds more controlled and the edge has reduced on the treble.
I listen through an Ifi idsd micro signature from an Ifi Zen streamer. I am very pleased with the sound right now.

Jun 9, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #1,161 of 1,323
I received my T60 Argon’s today so I’m very happy. I bought them to listen in my living room without disturbing my wife despite the fact that she has never complained about me listening to my Arya’s whilst she does her thing. She definitely approves of them however.
My initial impression was quite V shaped with a slightly bloomy bass and a treble that could be slightly harsh. With 10 hours on them I feel the V has flattened, smoothed perhaps, the bass sounds more controlled and the edge has reduced on the treble.
I listen through an Ifi idsd micro signature from an Ifi Zen streamer. I am very pleased with the sound right now.
Are you using bass boost? They (or me) love the bass boost on the iFi.

Jun 10, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #1,162 of 1,323
Has anyone here been able to compare any Argons to any ZMF headphones?

Zeos, being Zeos, recently made the outlandish claim that the T60 Argons with the new MHA pads sound better than all ZMFs. He also previously called the T60 Argons "Baby Verite Closed" in his original review of the T60.

Not one to put stock in those types of throwaway comments but I am curious to hear impressions from anyone who has actually spent time AB-ing Argons with ZMFs.

I love my T60s more with the MHA pads (except for that sibilant peak). Suedes were great too. I also have MK3s on the way with protein pads and Cowhides at the ready for testing too.

Jun 10, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #1,163 of 1,323
Has anyone tried the new Xenon Pads with the T50Rp Mk3? I heard they're mostly intended to be used with the T60. Currently using Oval Suedes which are supposed to be pretty similar to the stock Proteins and wondered if it was worth trying.

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #1,164 of 1,323
Has anyone tried the new Xenon Pads with the T50Rp Mk3? I heard they're mostly intended to be used with the T60. Currently using Oval Suedes which are supposed to be pretty similar to the stock Proteins and wondered if it was worth trying.
Xenon pads are not available for Mk3 on Modhouse website.

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #1,167 of 1,323
Xenon pads are not available for Mk3 on Modhouse website.

https://www.modhouseaudio.com/pads/xenon

They are available here as a standalone purchase. On the T60 they maintain most of the sound of the T60 with Suede ZMFs only with more soundstage and better extended bass. The highs and mids sound roughly the same.

If you look on ZMF's website they give detailed descriptions about how their own pads compare to one another so that could be helpful.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #1,168 of 1,323
Just read a comment by Mr Ayrit in his T60 Argon review that Mod House have leather MHA pads in the pipeline.

Leather ZMFs are supposed to do a good job of taming highs. I'm imagining the bigger soundstage and extended bass of the MHA pads, but this time in leather could be the moment the T60 Argons reach endgame levels.... I'm excited.

Jun 13, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #1,169 of 1,323
Just received my Mk3 Argons. They are the wildcard in my collection which is mostly neutral to bright headphones ranging from Koss KPH30s to Aryas.

Is this what the kids call "bass cannons" because... my word! I'm working at my desk but my body can't stop moving.

The first thing I checked was for the sibilant peak I get with my T60 Argons. I'm using the protein pads at the moment. The peak is there but slightly less sharp than on the T60s. Mids and, well, everything else is warmer than the T60's, not neutral but so much fun! Great soundstage for a closed back.

Argons are so underrated!

I'll stick with the Proteins for now but I have Cowhides ready to try at some point as I read they are supposed to increase the bass and tame the treble even more. I also have a hunch / am hoping that as they are stiffer than the proteins the stage will be expanded further... but for now patience.

The Mk3 and the T60 Argons make a great pair for any collection!

Jun 13, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #1,170 of 1,323
Just received my Mk3 Argons. They are the wildcard in my collection which is mostly neutral to bright headphones ranging from Koss KPH30s to Aryas.

Is this what the kids call "bass cannons" because... my word! I'm working at my desk but my body can't stop moving.

The first thing I checked was for the sibilant peak I get with my T60 Argons. I'm using the protein pads at the moment. The peak is there but slightly less sharp than on the T60s. Mids and, well, everything else is warmer than the T60's, not neutral but so much fun! Great soundstage for a closed back.

Argons are so underrated!

I'll stick with the Proteins for now but I have Cowhides ready to try at some point as I read they are supposed to increase the bass and tame the treble even more. I also have a hunch / am hoping that as they are stiffer than the proteins the stage will be expanded further... but for now patience.

The Mk3 and the T60 Argons make a great pair for any collection!
I'd give the earpads a little bit of time to break in. I found with my T50 and the Proteins, right out of the box the treble was a bit harsh and a little peaky at times, such that I had to take a couple db out of the 6-8khz range. Honestly reminded me a little of my old Beyer 770 in that way, just not as extreme. But as the pads broke in, the harshness really mellowed out. I still get the occasional hit of sibilance and harshness from poorly recorded/mastered tracks, but for general listening I don't need to EQ the highs anymore like I had to when they were brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back