modest usb-equpped home rig suggestions
Jan 7, 2009 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

n0ah

100+ Head-Fier
for the couple years or so that i've been head-fi-concious, my music listening has always been on the go. i was satisfied with my laptop > total bithead > hd-25 setup. only recently upgraded the bithead to a 3move. still satisfied.

i'm finally settling down and having more at home time and am ready to upgrade to a decent starters desktop system. i hate to make a post like this as i'm sure there's plenty but have never clicked this subforum because it just wasn't an option prior so i have no idea what's out there like i do portables.

laptop will still be the source. i'm open to either amp/dac combos or separate but need something that's usb. if there's another way to make an amp and/or dac pc-ready without usb i'd be open to that as well. hoping to get a clear improvement over the 3move for around $700-$900. an only moderate improvement will not be worth the time as i am satisfied with the 3move. headphones will be upgraded but not apart of that $7-9 budget. probably hd650 or dt880. not too sure as fullsize cans are another thing i've pretty much ignored due to my previous setup.

i'm also curious, when buying an amp and dac separately for computer use, can one take usb while the other is connected only to the other unit or do both need their own usb ports? not so knowledgeable on the subject so if whatever i upgrade to connects with more than usb and a wall plug i'm going to need some extra help.

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 16
You could get a Meier Corda Symphony for $1300. I know it's a bit overbudget (the $500 Corda Cantate would be a good usb dac/amp combo). A lot of people like the Symphony/Cantate with HD650s.

The Symphony is said to be a serious improvement over the Cantate though, and it has a switch that allows it to double as a solid state preamplifier and also as a standalone DAC. So it's very versatile and could be used in speaker setups too. You can pass signals through the DAC (usb, optical, coax + 2 analog inputs) or analog inputs through the preamp stage and out the back. If I had to do it all again, I'd be curious to try a Symphony for myself since I think it's not a bad value.

That being said, my 2 chassis M3 kicks ass, it's very powerful...and I enjoy my Moodlab DAC although the USB version is very overpriced ($400 or so). Pretty clean sound though.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 16
Rather than thinking of buying a really good amp with an integrated DAC, you should think of buying a really good DAC with an integrated amp (IMO). That way, you can upgrade to a better amp down the road while still enjoying a really clear, detailed sound.

Take a look at the Stello DA100 and Apogee Mini-DAC. The Benchmark DAC1 and Lavry DA10 might be a little over your budget, but you might be able to snag one used. USB options make things more expensive. You can always pick up any old USB sound card that provides a coaxial digital out if you have to.

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 16
I think you should buy an amp and DAC separately so you have the option of upgrading one or the other sometime in the future.. a few suggestions to fit your budget:

Stello DA100: I think these cost about $700, and you might want to look into getting one used. They're buit very well, and they're considered one of the better sounding USB DACs out there.. you can read about them on this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/ste...thread-238825/ With the rest of your money, I would research the best amp for $200 in the amp forum. My suggestions would be a Corda Arietta or possibly a used Corda HeadFive since you're happy with their 3move amp.

MHDT Paradisea: Another well-built and well-regarded USB DAC that can be purchased for $600. This would leave you with some more money to spend on an amp.

BTW, only the DAC needs a USB input. You hook the DAC to the digital output of the laptop, and the amp to the outputs of the DAC.

edit: Here's a good thread about the Paradisea.. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/mhd...s-club-352307/

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 16
thanks for the feedback so far.

i understand keeping my purchases open with options to upgrade but i really hope the pair that i go with keeps me happy for a good couple years or so before i start throwing another $1K+ around. i'm not spoiled, been content with my minimal setup, i am sure anything i get in this price range is going to sound great to me, i was just looking for suggestions considering my source since i know a lot of you are cd/vinyl guys.

stello looks good. i'm wondering if an HP100/DA100 combo would be worth the plunge. it's basically double my budget. googling i saw a head-fi guy's FS thread for the pair, reason of selling: going balanced. only thing i know about balanced is it involves two headphone inputs.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 16
Did you see the review on the KECES 152?

If not, check it out, looks great and seems sounds great.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 16
Hey nOah, why does it have to be USB? Doesnt your notebook have an optical connection in the headphone jack? If it does I highly recommend using optical, as it is more versitale with higher bitrate music and may even sound better with the kind of dacs in your price range. BTW, Rockhopper has a nice M^3 amp for sale just now. Whatever you do for an amp, the Keces dacs are worth looking into for a source. If you do end up with USB a Meier Cantate 2 would be real nice. Good Luck.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey nOah, why does it have to be USB? Doesnt your notebook have an optical connection in the headphone jack?...

Good point. Even if it doesn't, you can still get a USB to SPDIF converter for cheap. That opens up the options a lot.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 16
KECES 151 + Little Dot MKVI if USB
KECES 131.1 + Little Dot MKVI if Spdif

Audio-dg DAC100 + Audio-dg SA 1001 if Solid State, allows for both USB and Spdif

Meant to put the 151 down, oops

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KECES 152 + Little Dot MKVI if USB

Keces 152 has a built-in headphone amp, though. Keces DA-151 would be better if using just as a DAC.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey nOah, why does it have to be USB? Doesnt your notebook have an optical connection in the headphone jack?

i always assumed everone using their gear with a computer source needed USB. so it's possible to use a 3move for example hooked to your computer without USB then?

it's an HP dv6000 purchased just a little over a half a year ago so i'd imagine it has optical connection, but how do i find out?

edit: also still wondering what the full meaning of "going balanced" means.

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #14 of 16
Finding out if your computer has optical is a PITA as HP has nothing on their website, this is an issue in another thread. Buy a 3 dollar adapter and take a cheap plastic toslink cable and shove that adapter in your headphone jack and plug the other end into your receiver or dac or TV or what have you. I like the right angle adapter for a laptop.

Toslink to Mini-plug Right Angle Adapter

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! is great for cheap toslink cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back