Modern bands that sound like "classic rock?"
Sep 9, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #46 of 75

Quote:

Another one of my favorite bands, Queens of the Stone Age, for me, carry the torch of rock and roll. I haven't heard their eponymous first release

You need it like now.... Actually probably should pick up the re-release that comes out Black Friday.

OP, If you like the old school sound, try Eagles of Death Metal.
You might also like  you can hear Them Crooked Vultures because you can hear the John Paul Jones influence in it(although I think Josh Homme shows the biggest influence).

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #48 of 75
Not exactly modern, but try "The Living End". They're an Aussie punkabilly band, been around since the early 1990's. They were mery much influenced by Stray Cats.
Their first 2 albums (Self titled and Roll On) were awesome! Lead guitarist is extremely tallented and his solo's are amazing!
Have seen them live 6 times.

Enjoy! :)

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #49 of 75
California band Night Horse released their debut album, Perdition Hymns, this year. They could be definitely classified as "classic rock". i reckon they are great for a few listens. 

http://www.myspace.com/nighthorsemusic

Surely, somebody has mentioned Black Mountain already. 

x2 for Tame Impala's Innerspeaker

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #50 of 75
Yeah!!! This Black Country Communion really rocks!!! The first track "Black Country" rocks real hard and is awesome.
dt880smile.png

Quote:

For classic rock - which for me is Led Zep, Allman Bros, Derek & the Dominos, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, etc - I think one must also listen to Gov't Mule. Great stuff.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #51 of 75

Quote:
Yeah!!! This Black Country Communion really rocks!!! The first track "Black Country" rocks real hard and is awesome.
dt880smile.png

For classic rock - which for me is Led Zep, Allman Bros, Derek & the Dominos, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, etc - I think one must also listen to Gov't Mule. Great stuff.

"I am a messenger this is my prophecy..."

Also I love your list. The Mule is awesome. I'm listening to Derrick & the Dominoes right now, the Jams CD from the Layla Sessions. If you like bluesy rock you might also try JJ Grey & Mofro if you havent already.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #52 of 75
Yikes! Never heard of JJ Grey and Mofro ... you give it a shot!

Quote:
"I am a messenger this is my prophecy..."

Also I love your list. The Mule is awesome. I'm listening to Derrick & the Dominoes right now, the Jams CD from the Layla Sessions. If you like bluesy rock you might also try JJ Grey & Mofro if you havent already.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #53 of 75

Quote:
X2.  If Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath had a child it might sound like Wolfmother.  The Killers (who they toured with) also have a good classic rock sound, a bit of extra keyboard.

You should try the latest Black Mountain- Wilderness Heart,

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #55 of 75
You are in luck my friend.
There is a band from Indiana that is blowing people away with their live performances.
Big Guitar Solo's, Double Neck SG guitars, Huge Drums, 
Classic Rock at its best but wait...its a modern spin on classic rock which fits on commercial modern rock radio....

Let me know what you think of these guys!

www.athelrock.com
www.athelband.com 

Music Video:
www.theirshoesvideo.athelrock.com 

Free music for download:
www.kellnermanagement.com/athel/tosocietypart1
www.kellnermanagement.com/openyoureyes

shawn@kellnermanagement.com

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #57 of 75

Quote:
Possibly, but can you name 5 artists or bands from the 80's on, that are as iconic as most of the stuff that came from the 60's or 70's?

Off the top of my head:
Radiohead, U2, Prince, Guns N' Roses, Oasis

This despite the market being much more splintered than it was in 60s-70s, when pretty much all you had was Jazz, Rock, Soul and Disco and really only major label acts with those.  Thus making all the successful artists more icons because they didn't have to compete with 239847290837 indie bands.  

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #58 of 75
The Black Keys

Even the recording and mastering feels like something from the 60-70's
Big Come Up, Thickfreakness and Magic Potion are my favourite albums...

You have to like fuzz guitar effects if you're going to listen to them though
smily_headphones1.gif

They're a 2 person band

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #59 of 75
Quote:
The Black Keys

Even the recording and mastering feels like something from the 60-70's
Big Come Up, Thickfreakness and Magic Potion are my favourite albums...

You have to like fuzz guitar effects if you're going to listen to them though
smily_headphones1.gif

They're a 2 person band

thickfreakness and Magic Potion are my two favorites, haven't heard Big Come Up though, will get that next thanks.

I just got Rubber Factory though and listening to it right now. Doesn't seem as heart-breaking bluesish as Magic and thick but otherwise it sounds very similiar to those two. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back