Modern bands that sound like "classic rock?"
Jan 13, 2006 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

kurt_fire

100+ Head-Fier
Are there any? I was listening to Derek and the Dominos today and was thinking, "man, they sure don't make music like this anymore." Am I wrong? Or does today's artist's blow major chunks compared to the bands from the 60s and 70s?

I hardly ever hear a guitar solo in any of today's music. And if there happens to be one, it's not any good. Are there no talented, innovative guitarists out there?

I'm not trying to bash modern music, I just would like some recommendations of bands and albums that sound like they could have been from the 60s and 70s.

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt_fire
Or does today's artist's blow major chunks compared to the bands from the 60s and 70s?

Today's artists blow major chunks compared to the bands from the 60s and 70s.

Well, at least the popular ones do. Try Porcupine Tree, specifically their older material. Who knows, maybe they'll be your cup of tea? "Sky Moves Sideways" is something like a Pink Floyd, Vangelis, and Brian Eno collaboration on a healthy dose of LSD, while "Up the Downstair" is an psychedelic rock/electronica hybrid that's really like nothing else out there. "Signify" is a more prog-rock-oriented sound but with a lot of acid-jazz jam moments. Their newer stuff I don't like at all. Well, every band has it's prime, and PT is past it, apparently.

And if you think there are no new talented guitarists out there, try Joe Stump or Rusty Cooley. You can also try Michael Angelo if you want a completely off-the-wall shred machine. He's not really all that original, but for what he does, he's the best.

http://www.joestump.com/soundclips.htm (SQ is pretty bad but man he can play!)
http://www.rustycooley.com/audio.html
http://www.angelo.com/mp3___video.html

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 75
(troll) somewhere around 1990 the world of music realised that a guitar solo is basically a test of technical proficiency with little in the way of inherent musical merit. (/troll)

on the other hand, if you really want a 'modern' band that sounds like that kind of music, get something by The Mars Volta, should make you happy. I can't stand them, but that's the kind of thing you want. I don't quite get the point, though. The world would be a boring place if everyone made the same kind of music for thirty years. You like the '70s widdly-guitar-solo style of rock, so listen to the bands who made it! Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure there's plenty of music from the era you didn't hear yet.

Jan 13, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 75
I second Gov't Mule... they sound somewhat similar to Stevie Ray.

I really think some of the White Stripes stuff sounds like some older hard rock. Their recording style definitely makes it sound similar.

Appleseed Cast plays somewhat mellower sounding Pink Floyd type music (mostly instrumental, but not all).

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 75
The Bees - Free the Bees

has a kind of early beatles sound to them. really cool

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 75
Dungen's "Ta Det Lugnt" sounds very classic rocky and it's a GREAT album. Swedish band.

Pearls and Brass' new album sounds pretty thick/trio/retro.

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 75
maybe check out the first album by The Darkness?

they're reminiscent of Zep and Queen, but with more self-conscious irony.

Jan 13, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 75
take a listen to Monster Magnet, my favorite album is "Powertrip".. Ed Mundell is a great guitarist IMO. If you enjoy MM, Mundell also played with Atomic Bitchwax, "II" is an album that I CANNOT sit still too, it rocks !

Old fashioned toe-tapping, head-bobbing Rock 'n' Roll with the emphasis on ROCK !
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #12 of 75
Sometimes it seems kind of like they're all trying to sound like classic rock, but guess we all define that term a bit different.

Some of us have talked about the Black Mountain CD from last year that has a lot of Led Zep boogie mixed with the Stones' blues and the Sabbath's drugs. Got some pretty good critical and fan acclaim too. Even top 5 in the Uncut 2005 list. Kind of a modern stoner rock sound, but older.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114635

I only picked up the latest from My Morning Jacket about a week ago but it has a nice vintage feel too, although with a bit of Wilco and FLips sound mixed in. Turning into a big fave. Got tons of acclaim, although some older fans don't like the new direction as they veer away from the Neil Young sound. I like both. Fun to watch them change.

The latest from Voyager One called Dissolver that I raved about here but got no response from you losers (
wink.gif
) has a very nice Eno/Pink Floyd/Bowie sound, but mixed with some more modern shoegazer elements. Hard for me to resist. Currently #1 on my best of 2005.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=155941

I thouoght the latest from John Doe called Forever Hasn’t Happened Yet was pretty darn good. Not sure how "classic" X was/is but I always loved them and this is one of Doe's better releases since those days. Has a lot of collaborations including a very nice one with Neko Case sounding a lot like Exene. A little too much like her actually, although I do really like it. She probably wanted to play it that way since John and Exene wrote the tune, and it does sound a lot like vintage X. But still, I wish they'd made it a little more Neko and less Exene. Anyway, nice album that didn't seem to get much notice.

Spoon's sound is classic and Gimme Fiction is a very nice one. More a mix of John Lennon and Elvis Costello, along with some soul and maybe some early Who. but pretty cool. Still probably like the earlier ones more, but this is a damn good record with some of their best songs and production.

Lots more but can't really think of much these days like that old Clapton sound. Different times.

Jan 13, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Some of us have talked about the Black Mountain CD from last year that has a lot of Led Zep boogie mixed with the Stones' blues and the Sabbath's drugs. Got some pretty good critical and fan acclaim too. Even top 5 in the Uncut 2005 list. Kind of a modern stoner rock sound, but older.

Davey, if you've heard the latest from Comets on Fire (Blue Cathedral: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...glance&n=5174), how do you think Black Mountain compares with that sound?

Jan 13, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Davey, if you've heard the latest from Comets on Fire (Blue Cathedral: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...glance&n=5174), how do you think Black Mountain compares with that sound?

I'm not Davey, but Black Moutain bores me. Comets on Fire ROCK.

If you like Comets, check out the newest Residual Echoes release "Phoencian Flu and Ancient Ocean" on Holy Mountain. Good stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back