"Moderation? I don't see any!"
Sep 5, 2008 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

m00hk00h

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

before you are going to delete this thread without beeing noticed, please continue reading as this is not a negative thread against the moderation.

All I wanted to know is HOW I can contact a moderator OR the moderation in general. I don't see any kind of list of all active moderator, I don't see any "contact mods" buttons, I don't even see a "moderator" lettering under someones username.
To me it looks like moderator do not officially exist at all. But I know that there is a moderation. I just don't see it.

So please tell me how to contact the moderation.
Thanks.

m00h

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 18
Wooow...
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 18
That certain number user could use a little spanking...

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 18
I do find the "moderation" practice here rather disturbing - posts and threads can be deleted - sometimes without warning or notification of any published "policy" violation

Secret rules are really unpalatable

simply discussing moderation policy at all in public/by the community at large apears to not be allowed

Sep 6, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do find the "moderation" practice here rather disturbing - posts and threads can be deleted - sometimes without warning or notification of any published "policy" violation

simply discussing moderation policy at all in public/by the community at large apears to not be allowed

Head-Fi Rules/Terms of Use

Also read the stickies at the top of every forum in which you'd like to post.

Sep 6, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 18
Indeed. And let me state that I've never had a problem with how headfi's been moderated. The few times I've had questions, I received prompt and thoughtful replies from Jude and/or mods which quickly and clearly answered my concerns.

That said, a forum where mod actions where publicly recorded and the rationale for them given would be useful, imo. In my books, transparency to the community is always a good thing.

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed. And let me state that I've never had a problem with how headfi's been moderated. The few times I've had questions, I received prompt and thoughtful replies from Jude and/or mods which quickly and clearly answered my concerns.

That said, a forum where mod actions where publicly recorded and the rationale for them given would be useful, imo. In my books, transparency to the community is always a good thing.

The only problem with something like that is there are certain folks who will camp out in there and intentionally start flame war after flame war. It's happened over and over again over the years, for all sorts of reasons...some much more legit than others. Hey, we're not perfect...but that shouldn't serve as a springboard for gratuitous bashing either.

The typical example is where a member is unhappy about something that a moderator does in a thread...and posts about it there. Since the post is off-topic, it's deleted. The next thing that happens is the member posts about it (often in a loud and combative tone) in the Member's Lounge. At this point, the intention isn't to address the issue...it's to cause a loud ruckus. This exercise is pointless.

The terms of use give reasonably good guidance as to why things are done the way they are around here. They should be reviewed first. If after said review, anyone has an issue with how a moderator is handling something, it should be addressed via PM. I think you'll find that in almost all cases, it will get better results.

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are no secrets here. I've gathered that when one has a post or thread deleted, a reasonable explanation is available.

Public discussion of moderation turns a forum to crap frankly and does absolutely zero good.

Sep 8, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #13 of 18
Well, nice to see that you found your way to a moderator

Sep 8, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, although a PM would have been more effective.

So true!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back