Modding the Sony SCD-CE595
Apr 7, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #61 of 93
I already have a modded X555ES (single) and a modded C601ES (changer), and I don't have any SACD to use.... I really don't need another changer.

The reason I asked was because after I modded the C601, I still found myself not using it at all. I always just turn on the X555. In the C601, I installed better output caps, upgrade some digital power supply caps, installed Dip-8 socket, upgraded all the opamps, and put in independant dual regulated voltage supply so the analog power is completely seperate from the digital power (two extra transformers, 7812/7912, two seperate rectifiers, caps, etc). The independent analog power made the single most noticable difference, a lot more than rolling the opamp. But after all these improvements, it is still nowhere close to the X555.....
redface.gif

Not all the works yield worthwhile rewards.

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #62 of 93
The reason the results were not "and upgrade" was because the mods are a bit flawed. The auricap in transformer pcb tweak is truly a "tweakers tweak" because the "power filtering" isn't really done at this stage and it is very possible the auricap tweak actually worsens things.

Secondly, unless you disconnect the dac from the active stage it is still doing all sorts of things to the signal going to the new rca jacks. I will attempt to remove the coupling caps after the dac and then do a direct connection that actually bypasses the whole analog circuit and see how the results fare, but I don't have my hopes up because if the voltage out of the dac was sufficient to drive preamps then what is the point of Sony including the analog stage? Because technically this whole deal is shaky at best(as with most "audiophile mods.")

Oh well. I had my fun. I'll take one extra step with this unit and if that doesn't give better results then we can all celebrate knowing Sony did something right at such an affordable price-point, and the owners of this good machine can bask in the comfort of a well designed disc changer
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #63 of 93
Really, the Sony changer is sleeper of the moment, of the posts I have been reading? I may just install an IEC port and the extra RCA connectors with the Auricap mod. HMMM, I may have to buy 2 for 60 bucks a piece. This is a hell of a thread.

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #64 of 93
I did what you just said for a buddy. The Auricap mod, the Swenson mod, and installed an IEC jack. He was very pleased with the results. Where have you found them for 60 a peice?

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #65 of 93
How much was all the mods?

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #67 of 93
Apr 8, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #69 of 93
Kevin,now you know why I had a ton of questions when you came by! It was a cheap toy to start out with.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #71 of 93
Gross anything I can do for the Head-fi adventure for others. There has been a lot of help for me. I just try to pass on the favor.

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #72 of 93
Well, after seeing Pacific Microsonics' Millett MAX that he was pairing with this thing, I had to give it a try.

$57.21 with free shipping and the discount code, it arrived on my front porch today after ordering it on Tuesday! That's hard to beat for anyone, much less a giant like Sony.

The first thing I noticed was how dadgum big this thing is! I've had an early 5-disc Technics carousel changer that's been in my stereo system for years, but I probably haven't taken it out of the entertainment center since I put it in there in about 1988? Even so, I don't think it's as big as this thing.

Anyway, everything works great and the operation is flawless. After playing it for several hours, some of the tizziness seems to have smoothed out. I don't have any SACD's, but it seems to beat the quality of any portable CD player except perhaps an old Sony D-model I have (but the D-model is very light on bass). It's certainly better than several Phillips DVP units I've tried lately, despite some great claims about those things.

However, my biggest question was how it stacked up to an Alien DAC: it doesn't. The Alien is more open and more detailed with better dynamics - pretty much better in every way, IMHO.

I'll get an SACD at some point and also perhaps try either the Swenson mod with some VitQ's or change the front channel opamp. For the time being, though, I'd say that if you're a DIY-er, $50 spent on building an Alien DAC will give you better sound. Of course, that doesn't include the cost of a disk drive, PC, etc. So, if you are in the market for CD player, it's hard to beat this one at this price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #73 of 93
Hi tomb! great to see you here
smily_headphones1.gif

Since you are most likely much more adept at diy than me, I would encourage you to do the swenson with new rca jacks, but instead of the "regular method" which is not optimal, try taking out the coupling caps right after the dac so the analog stage is totally disconnected from the dac.

Then also change the opamps to something better. If you run a wire from the dac pins to a switch and switch between the capacitor to rca jacks and the analog stage with upgraded opamps, you can a/b the results in their best.

Kind of like this:

Stock:
DAC------(stock coupling caps)------(analog stage)

Mod:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ------caps to rca(swenson)
DAC------(switch) <
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ------analog stage(better coupling caps & upgraded opamps)

I still think the absolute best option would be to replace the stock coupling caps with nice ones, AND keep the analog stage with new opamps. Those are the main bottlenecks, and by doing that instead of totally getting rid of the analog stage would be the most constructive mod suite.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #74 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacific Microsonics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi tomb! great to see you here
smily_headphones1.gif

Since you are most likely much more adept at diy than me, I would encourage you to do the swenson with new rca jacks, but instead of the "regular method" which is not optimal, try taking out the coupling caps right after the dac so the analog stage is totally disconnected from the dac.

Then also change the opamps to something better. If you run a wire from the dac pins to a switch and switch between the capacitor to rca jacks and the analog stage with upgraded opamps, you can a/b the results in their best.

Kind of like this:

Stock:
DAC------(stock coupling caps)------(analog stage)

Mod:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ------caps to rca(swenson)
DAC------(switch) <
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ------analog stage(better coupling caps & upgraded opamps)

I still think the absolute best option would be to replace the stock coupling caps with nice ones, AND keep the analog stage with new opamps. Those are the main bottlenecks, and by doing that instead of totally getting rid of the analog stage would be the most constructive mod suite.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yep, actually I thought about doing the last mod, instead. I've got some spare opamps and SMD with SOIC-8 is not too bad. I haven't opened it up, yet, and I've read that the Sony solder is a real bear, so we'll see. The stock sound continues to improve, but it's not in the category of what I'd call useable, yet. I had hoped to use these to audition MAXes at headphone meets. Good sources are always in short supply at meets, it seems.

What opamps did you use? Seems retrofit opamps people use in upgrading tuners are the OPA604 and OPA2132/4. I was wondering how an AD8620 might work out.

Apr 11, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #75 of 93
My SCD-CE595 arrived today, so the tweaking begins. I went ahead and bought the service manual for this guy so if anyone wants the service manual/schematics, let me know, I will email it to ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back