Modding the Sony SCD-CE595
Nov 7, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #91 of 93
It looks to me like the opamps in the output section have a DMP-8 footprint. Has anybody confirmed that an Analog Devices SOIC-8 narrow footprint device will fit these pads? I think I'd like to try the AD8620 in those positions, replace the electrolytic coupling caps with Blackgates and remove those ceramic coupling bypass caps.

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #92 of 93
An easier way to perform the swenson mod is to remove C502 and C402 and solder your capacitor leads directly to the inside facing pads. Works great. You can also rip off the opamp from the back to make sure there is no interference.

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #93 of 93
If anyone is still interested in this, I recently bought a used SCD-CE595 and came across this thread. The simplest (and cheapest!) way to significantly alter the sound is by replacing the op amps. Some posters on this thread caution against this, but after I experimented and wrecked two of the three op amp solder pads I devised a method that yields a high probability of success.

Firstly, solder all four pins on each side to each other (with a sort of solder "blob"). Then, suck up as much solder as you can. Follow this with an incredibly careful solder removal job with a solder wick, to get as much solder as possible off from the pins. When you can distinctly see the pins of the op amp, you're ready to continue.

Then, with your soldering iron tip, touch one of the end pins with the intention of lifting the pin with the soldering iron tip. When you see the solder melt (there will still be some left), carefully, carefully, pull the pin up with the tip of your soldering iron. Obviously the smaller the tip the easier. Proceed to the next pin.

Once you have lifted all eight pins, then you just need to pull the op amp off. It is glued down.

Hope this helps someone! The default op amps aren't actually that bad, but there are significantly better ones and this is a cheap and effective way to improve the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back