Modding Etymotic ER4.
Apr 26, 2007 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

d.phens

100+ Head-Fier
Again, this is a question. 'Cause I'm a novice.
Is there any other way (except for cutting one flange) to alter the sound?
Actually I know about something
(wait for me to get my camera back and I'll post a "How to absolutely get rid of microphonics" and "How to achieve more isolation with even softer plugs" guide)...

But what do YOU know?

Thanks for your replies.

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 18
Oh Goody...

*Gets Popcorn & pulls up the Lazyboy*

((Worthless without photos))

//Thanx

/// Hopefully the prewritten method paper recieved a B+ or better
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I find an Enhancement Cord? Xin doesn't sell them anymore.

you have to make it yourself now. I guess its not that hard if you have some DIY experience but YMMV

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 18
I could, but what material to buy? He says that his particular cable got rid of ALL the eventual microphonics, event the "thumps" while walking.

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 18
Also subscribed.

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #11 of 18
Ety cabling and modding is something that I do with passion.

Let me share something with you guys - about ER-4 cables.

The cables are stiff and microphonics because they are made from the highest grade of Silver Plated Copper or commonly known as SPC. Part of the price you pay for your ER-4 is attributed to this cable. On top of that ER-4 cables are FULLY shielded with another layer of SPC which makes them even more microphonics.

I have attempted to recable one of my two ER-4 before with the normal copper used by most IEM/Earbuds, suffice to say I wasn't happy with the result because on a highly revealing rig, I felt as if the frequency response has been skewed a bit. Now that may be an isolated incident but it was enough to convince me that there's nothing better than the stock ER-4 cable. Dr. Xin is a highly respected former rocket scientist and I do not doubt that he has managed to pull this off successfully.

SQ is paramount to me so I will stick with the stock cable. Old time ER-4 users has found ways to battle microphonics and one of them (as pioneered by Piccolonamek) is to wear ER-4 with the cable over the ear. Redshifter fabricated an earclip for his ER-4. I opted to make full use of the clip and run the cable under the shirt.

Hope this helps
etysmile.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 18
I put the cable round my neck as if I was about to strangle myself. The cable connecting earpieces is as tight as possible to still let me turn my head.
I use a strap velcro cable organizer to tie the cable and make a sling.

0.0 microphonics I promise!
Another promise: Pics...

Matter of few minutes maybe hours
etysmile.gif
now.

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ety cabling and modding is something that I do with passion.

Let me share something with you guys - about ER-4 cables.

The cables are stiff and microphonics because they are made from the highest grade of Silver Plated Copper or commonly known as SPC. Part of the price you pay for your ER-4 is attributed to this cable. On top of that ER-4 cables are FULLY shielded with another layer of SPC which makes them even more microphonics.

I have attempted to recable one of my two ER-4 before with the normal copper used by most IEM/Earbuds, suffice to say I wasn't happy with the result because on a highly revealing rig, I felt as if the frequency response has been skewed a bit. Now that may be an isolated incident but it was enough to convince me that there's nothing better than the stock ER-4 cable. Dr. Xin is a highly respected former rocket scientist and I do not doubt that he has managed to pull this off successfully.

SQ is paramount to me so I will stick with the stock cable. Old time ER-4 users has found ways to battle microphonics and one of them (as pioneered by Piccolonamek) is to wear ER-4 with the cable over the ear. Redshifter fabricated an earclip for his ER-4. I opted to make full use of the clip and run the cable under the shirt.

Hope this helps
etysmile.gif

are u sure there's not better cable that's not spc and that's thinner and less microphonic? i wanted to make one out of crystal cable, but i'm not sure if they sell just the strands.

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 18
IMHO a silicone jacketed cable would probably be the best with an ultra high strand count. Proabably hard to find quality cable in the small sizes though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back