Modding Denon's? Wana hear from people that have done it.
Sep 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ScaryFatKidGT

500+ Head-Fier
So I have a pair of Denon D5000's right now and there my favorite headphones I only got them about a 3 months ago and I wanted the 7000's but it comes with a 1/4" jack which was kind of a negative sense its way easier to put on 1/4" adapter on a mini than to put a mini on a 1/4" and the main reason they were discontinued and not avalable anywhere that I could find for less than $700 and I got the 5K's for under $400 so I thought I got a good deal besides not having the nice shiny cups I read a lot a reveiws and they said that the 5's are noticable better than the 2's but that the 7's are only slightly better than the 5's.

Now I'm wondering about modding these, almost any time I see a thread regarding the AH-DX000 headphones, modding them comes up. And they are fairly regarded as having great and powerful but loose bass and modding them to tighten up the bass makes sense to me.

But I'm wondering is it worth it to mod the 5K's or should I try to get the 7's before I drop money into them? Even with all the mods they still have a larger magnet and slightly larger cups?

Also the 5k's and 7k's both have wooden cups and like 99.9999% pure copper cords so idk how much upgrading those will affect sound and cables are really expensive, like as much as the 5k's were them selves. Have any of you got any of these mods and have any impressions to share?

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 10
wait for a d7k to appear and snag it :p  i am loving my d7k as it is. If u need a miniplug, u can get it done locally.
Or buy a grado adaptor..http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor-Cable-Inch/dp/B001DK1ZVO/ref=pd_sim_e_26
popcorn.gif

modding is a hit n miss affair...if u are doing it yourself, of cos u can mod it until u get the "perfect" sound...n looks.

If u are not doing it yourself, its much better if u can eyeball a modded pair, listen to it...
if u like the sound, the looks of the cups, then buy it. i know its almost impossible to do that unless its your neighbour selling it...:p
But that is still my self imposed mantra.

( tuning the level of resonance, reverbs, center focus, bass damping...can be nasty if u are relying on someone else to "hear" for u....and u have already paid the money...and how many times can u get it retuned...hmmm ..back n forth the continent?. )
blink.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 10
Well I was wondering about the MarkL/lawton audio mod specifically.

Also there wood cups and cord I just don't see the point on the 5 and 7's already having wood cups and a good cord.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 10
Sep 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 10
I'm thinking about ordering a pair of Lawton level 1's to compare to my stock D-5000's but not if they want $700 for the D-5000's plus the level one mod. I'll have to message them and see.

Sep 14, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 10
They said they only sell there headphone stock to people doing the level 3 mod so I guess forget that.

I was hoping to hear from people that have done this to there head phones and how they liked it.

I was looking into a re-cable but then read that the 7k's are more detailed.

It just hard for me to justify some of the cost like on the 2k's yeah wood cups and a re-cable would really help but they would still never be the best but on the 5's and 7's that already have a decent cables and wood cups do you gain that much from a $200-$300-$400 cable upgrade? I mean there all high purity OFC.

I searched and brought up a bunch of threads to read but mostly I just get forsale threads.

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 10
idk bro, i have done the mod, drained 3 days on it, the only thing i noticed is the base picking up, it sounds soo much better, the only problem i have is stuffing the cuff, i think is stuffed it too much and now the bass is uneven, i am un-stuffing them with polyester now, i havent shredd the cans yet, but i am on it, once i shred 300 plus hours i think it would be worth it

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 10
I have modded my d2ks and prefer them to stock d5ks.

Have a video if me doing it here on my uoutube channel so you can see how hard it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJbGOSLhVVY&feature=plcp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back