Modded Sony 333ES and Stax?
Jan 15, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #31 of 36
I'm sorry, you replied to what was inteded for smokey, lol.

Have you tried Beyer DT931? The 4040 btw is quite comfy and sounds VERY nice, it rates in my top 5. Omega II isn't even on it,
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2003 at 5:31 AM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

I'm sorry, you replied to what was inteded for smokey, lol.

Doh! I was hesitant to post, because I was thinking that, but I didn't know so I went ahead and posted anyways. Well now I know.
redface.gif

Jan 15, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #33 of 36
A&M,

I probably should sell my stuff and go for an Orpheus, but I've never been able to part with anything I've ever bought. In saying this you should know I've got a mini museum of old audio junk laying about. A lot more than I've got listed in the profile.

I'm mainly listening to my 303>Modded Sugden>2002 right now. However, I've just rescued my vinyl collection and intend to get my old table fixed. So the source may change for awhile, at least until I get tired of vacumning the damn records.
tongue.gif

btw, I see you're a jet mech w/ the USN. I had a couple of buddies that used to work on the flight decks of aircraft carriers for a living. They always mentioned how loud it was. How do you protect your hearing in such a noisy environment? (Whats that old line from the Good Morning Vietnam movie? "I don't care what you play, just play it LOUD!
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 15, 2003 at 1:54 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

So now I am starting to rethink the Omega 2 thing as I would hate to plop down $3000 and end up not liking them with my source or just plain not liking them. Does anybody think I should still go for the Omega 2's without listening to them?

RVD,

I think listeneing for oneself is mandatory. To my ears, electrostatic headphones have a sonic signature that's very different from that of dynamic headphones - which I prefer by a very wide margin. To me, electrostatic headphones just aren't muscially involving. I guess I like the closed Stax 4070 best of all Staxes but I still find it strangely cold and metallic, with very little bass extension and body.

Regarding the Cary, Audio Note and Sony question, there has been a thread at Audio Asylum in March, in which fellow Head-Fier DRCope reports about his experience with the Cary 303 and why he substituted it with Audio Note equipment. One could say that this has made him a convert. A couple of months ago, he has become the first Audio Note retailer in New England: Triode & Co.

I almost forgot: not turning off your CDP because of the Black Gates in it - yes, it's worth a try.

Jan 15, 2003 at 7:13 PM Post #35 of 36
I never get why people have stuff that they never use lying around collecting dust. Weird concept for me. Get the Orpheus! Hey, have you ever though about modding your 303? Replace the stock resistors with some Audio Note tantalums.

We wear cranials which have built in ear muffs that block loud noises. Gets very sweaty. Thankfully, I won't be on a carrier, I work on land based props. =) By the way, I'm the dude that wears the green uniforms if I were on a ship. Being enlisted sucks, pay is extremely low, I want a bachelors degree, and perhaps I'll become an officer, they live nice lives. Good pay, no work, sounds good to me.

Jan 16, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #36 of 36
I found a dealer that is closer to me that carries the Cary 303/200 and 308. I am going up Saturday to audition both and I will be able to borrow the one I am most interested in. I will post my impressions when I am done with the audition.

Tomcat: Thanks for the info. I going to try and make the dynamic route work out. If this doesn't happen I plan to go Stax. Also you have got me extremely curious in the Audio Note cd players. I will definitely look into one of these if I decide to go with a new player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back