Modded Sony 333ES and Stax?
Jan 13, 2003 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

RVD

500+ Head-Fier
I have been reading review after review of the Stax 4040 system I am probably going to end up with this system as the Stax system seems like it share's a lot of similarities with my current setup. I am in love with the W2002/Melos combo, but comfort is not so good on the W2002's for me.

Now I know the Stax's are very source dependent and can sound like crap on a mediocre source. My current cd player is a Sony 333ES with Richard Kern basic mods and Audiocom SuperClock. The cd player sounds good to me and to me sounded better then a Rega Planet 2000, but I have not compared it to any other cd players. My question is will the Sony be good enough for the Stax or should I go with a better player.

If I went with an upgraded player the most I could spend is $2500, but would prefer to keep it around $2000. These are a few choices I thought of if I were to upgrade:

Shanling CD T-1000
Granite Audio 657
Sony XA777ES

Sorry for the long post and any info is greatly appreciated.

Jan 13, 2003 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 36
$2500 throws the door pretty wide open for your choice of sources. You could also consider the Arcam CD23T, Creek CD53, some of the Marantz SACD units and the Sony SCD-1. Possibly some of Cary's players as well. As always, research research research, and audition if possible. With Staxs, the sky's the limit...the better your gear, the better they get, whether it be cables or the source. It's thus in your best interest to get the best source you can possibly afford to get before you get Staxs, and never look back.

Jan 13, 2003 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 36
i'd say you get a used cary 303/200. they seem to be going for around $2k these days and they are heard to be damned fine players. zzz uses his omega2's and 404's with one.

[edit]: typo, i didn't sleep much last night.

Jan 13, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 36
Thanks for the replies. It looks like it would be best for me to upgrade the source. I am seriously considering the Creek CD53. It seems to be an excellent player and I could pick up a used one for around $1200 which appeals to me greatly. I can afford $2000, but as always would like to save money if possible. Does anybody know how the Creek would compare to a Cary 303/200 or Arcam CD23?

Jan 13, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 36
RVD,
For $2500 aren't you getting close to Omega level through one of the importers? I think you might be better off investing in an Omega and keeping the CDP.

Mark

Jan 13, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by RVD
Does anybody know how the Creek would compare to a Cary 303/200 or Arcam CD23?

from what i hear, they mop the floor with it. i haven't heard any of the sources directly though.

Jan 13, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by RVD
Does anybody know how the Creek would compare to a Cary 303/200 or Arcam CD23?

Carlo has some good info on the Creek/Arcam comparison. PM him or do a search on his post using the words Arcam/Creek and either CD53 or CD23. He preferred the Arcam overall, but it's best to find his words instead of my memory of them. I love the CD23, and would highly reco this player.

If you look at getting an Arcam, try to find a CD23T, not just the CD23. Arcam made changes to the motherboard, and HDCD sections, thereby making it even better overall than it's older brother. Audiogon is a haven for finding these high end units for pretty cheap, and I saw a 23T going for about $1600, but an email to the guy might persuade him to sell it cheaper since it hadn't sold last I checked.

Jan 13, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 36
RVD:

If you need convincing about the CD53--and to that end I don't know how much help this would be--I can scan three pages from a recent Hi-Fi+ (Issue 17) which address the player by itself. Let me know...

NGF

Jan 13, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 36
If I were to upgrade the source I am thinking that the Cary would be my best bet as it seems to have very little negative feedback. I am still interested in the Arcam and Creek though.

ServinginEcuador: Thanks for the info. If I go with the Arcam I planned to track down a CD23T.

tanfenton: Thanks for the offer. I would really appreciate it if you could do that for me. Thanks

Quote:

For $2500 aren't you getting close to Omega level through one of the importers? I think you might be better off investing in an Omega and keeping the CDP.

I could get an Omega 2 and a 006t amp for that price or a Omega 2 and the SRM-717 for $3000.

Does anybody think I should go for an Omega 2 setup now and hold off on a source? I could probably get a new cd player in 7-8 months if I went with Omega's now. I realize that this a fairly long time, but it might be worth it to get the Omega's now.

Jan 13, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #11 of 36
As usual I'd like to pimp for the Cary players. I would also second Carlo as a source of info. He's done professional reviews of some of this equipment, and I know he likes the Cary 306/200 a lot. I can vouch for the quality of the lower end Carys, as I own two of them.

The Marantz SA-14 can be had used in your price range as well. A lot of folks like it.

For an off the wall suggestion. A new player by a Chinese company, called Xindak, is getting some play. Check the Hi-Rez section of Audio Asylum for a quick review. They go for $1,695, and consist of a tubed discrete output stage (two 6DJ8s), and SACD. Looks very interesting. Acoustic Sounds carries these, and MAY offer a 30 day return policy. http://store.acousticsounds.com/stor...0184&do=detail

Good Luck
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2003 at 7:48 PM Post #12 of 36
smokey: Thanks for the info. That Xindak SACD player looks interesting. It is a good price too. Thanks for the suggestion.

I noticed in your profile you have both the Cary 308 and 303/200. If you don't mind, would you be able to do a mini comparison of the two? I have been interested in the 308 or 308T models too. Thanks

Jan 13, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by RVD
Does anybody think I should go for an Omega 2 setup now and hold off on a source? I could probably get a new cd player in 7-8 months if I went with Omega's now. I realize that this a fairly long time, but it might be worth it to get the Omega's now.

Go for it!! If you can afford to go for this Omega setup, I would say go for it with your current setup for now. Then, when you get the money to get a source that will make this thing sing, you'll REALLY notice the difference. Oh what a day that will be RVD.

I thought about selling my stuff and just going with the Stax 4040 system, but the Omages are out of my price range by a considerable margin. AudioCubes sells the Omega IIs for about $1800, while the whole 4040 costs like $1250. After reading Kelly's vews of the electrstatic performance I was thinking about going down that route, but ran out of time. Maybe next trip.

Jan 13, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 36
RVD,

I may not be the most competent person to give you advice here since I generally don't enjoy electrostatic headphones but I doubt that the Sony XA777ES would be a step in the right direction. I have listened to the Omega II/tube amp system with the Sony XA777ES as a source and I didn't like it at all. It sounded cold, thin, sterile, analytical, uninvolving, unmusical. A modded XA777ES might be another story but frankly, after having auditioned the Audio Note CD2.1x ($1.500) and the CD3.1x ($2.500), I have little faith in the musical superiority of SACD technology or the wisdom of the up- and oversampling approach for redbook CD. The non-upsampling and digital-filterless Audio Note CDPs and DACs offer the most organic, natural and emotionally captivating reproduction of digital recordings I have heard to date. That's why I bought the CD3.1x. The CD3.1x uses Black Gate capacitors and that means it has to be turned on continuously for 500 to 1000 hours to sound its best, but since it uses 6111WA miniature triodes with a life expectancy of 100.000 hours in its output stage, one doesn't have to worry about tube life when leaving it turned on 24/7.

Jan 13, 2003 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Go for it!! If you can afford to go for this Omega setup, I would say go for it with your current setup for now.

I am seriously considering doing this as I think my modified Sony will be a good source for now.

Tomcat: Thanks for the info Tomcat I appreciate it. If I upgrade my source I don't think I will go with the XA777ES beings I can pick up a used Cary for the same price.

Quote:

The CD3.1x uses Black Gate capacitors and that means it has to be turned on continuously for 500 to 1000 hours to sound its best

My Sony uses Black Gate caps does this mean that I should not shut off my Sony? When I first received my Sony I was not found of it's sound and this maybe why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back