Modded Sony 333ES and Stax?
Jan 13, 2003 at 9:30 PM Post #16 of 36
srm-717 and 404's would be a great combination. i say buy the better amp and then get the 404's to go with them, and later the omegas. i hear the omegas can be purchased for under $1500 if you talk the eifl people down enough.

stax sure seem like a great hobby, i say go for them!

Jan 13, 2003 at 9:33 PM Post #17 of 36
As to if you should get the Stax or the new source. If you get the source now, will you be able to get the Stax at a later date? If so, I'd vote for the source first. If not, get the Stax now.

As to my impressions of the 303 vs. 308. The 303/200 is a more substantial machine, at 35lbs, with balanced outputs, chip based upsampling, and an aluminum tray. The 308 goes 25lbs, no balanced out, software based upsampling, and a plastic tray. They both have the Cary house sound, smooth, detailed, but ultimately revealing. They will not coverup faults in the recording medium. My opinion has changed on the relative sonic merits of these over the last month or two. I'd say that the upsampling is better on the 303, and it is simply a more musical sounding player. That said, I now think the 308 is about 85% to 90% of the way to the 303. At about half the price, that has to enter into any consideration of purchase. I got my 308 for about $1,200 from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio. You may get a better deal from a different dealer, depending on your negotiating skills, or previous purchasing relationship. And as you've said used units may be available as well.

BTW I've used my 308 with a Stax 303/SRM-T1 system, and the sound is something special. I'm hoping to get my SRM-T1 modded or I'm going to find someone to build me a Gilmore Electrostatic Special for even better performance.

Jan 14, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #18 of 36
Thanks for the comparison smokey I really appreciate it. I could get the source now and the Stax later, but the problem right now is not my source it is my headphones as they are uncomfortable. I have come up with a few scenarios:

1. Go with the SR404/SRM717/007T and a Cary 308 and the Omega 2's later.

2. Get the Omega 2 system now and keep my source.

3. Get a Cary 303/200 now and Stax 4040 system now.

I like the idea of going with the Omega 2's now as I think my source will be adequate enough for the time being. Another thing is that I could probably get an even better source down the road then I could now.

Thanks again for everybody's help I really appreciate it.

Jan 14, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #19 of 36
Number 2!
tongue.gif

Matt,
Knowing you, I believe that if you get the lesser Stax, you'll then spend a lot of your time wondering about the Omega 2. How much better would it be?
eek.gif
You'll never be able to live with 4040, no matter how good it may sound-- that evil specter upgrade-itis will only haunt you until you relent and buy the Omega.

As you said, the "problem" you need to solve is with your headphones, namely that they aren't comfortable. Replacing a source you are reasonably happy with is not the clearest way to solve this problem.
wink.gif
At least you know for sure it beat out a highly-touted player, the upscale Rega. I think you should stick with the source and go for the Omegas! Cheers.

Mark

Jan 14, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #20 of 36
I'll also cast my lot in with number 2.

Fix your headphone comfort problem, and get something down right incredible now, Omega IIs, with the source upgrade later to totally blow your socks off.

Jan 14, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #23 of 36
I have decide I am going to go for the Omega 2's. I am going to arrange an in home audition with them first and make sure I like them though. As long as everything goes well there the Omega 2's are looking to be my next headphone.

Hopefully, down the road I will be able to pick up a used Cary 303/200 or 306/200.

tanfenton: Thanks for the link, but I can't seem to get the review to show up, is anybody else having this problem?

Quote:

yo RVD, wanna pay for my college tuition this year? I can give ya some KSC-35's and a D-25S!!!

Sure where do I send the check.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 14, 2003 at 10:57 AM Post #24 of 36
Personally my own path was to get a known killer source first, recuperate my bank account over 4-5 months (with TONS upon TONS of research during this period on the Omega IIs), and then go for the Omega IIs. I wanted to make absolutely sure that I had the best that I could afford backing up those Omega IIs when I got them. It assured that my chances of liking them permanently would be a bit higher then if I drove them from a source that I knew to be subpar for them. My patience definitely paid off. I mean, when forking over that much, why not do a little waiting, if it means getting everything right in the first shot?

Jan 14, 2003 at 12:09 PM Post #25 of 36
RVD
I don't think anyone here has heard your Kern modded 333ES. I wasn't a fan of the stock 555ES redbook performance which I assume the 333ES is similar to, but I'd expect to hear major improvements from the mods. I really think you should audition other sources and trust your own ears on this one. I'd hate to see you spend more money on a CD player and end up not thinking any more of it. I see you're probably going with the Stax anyway, but just wanted to offer that.

Jan 14, 2003 at 8:20 PM Post #26 of 36
RVD, you can find loads of reviews of good stuff on audioasylum and audiogon. I would have opted for source first, but I'm glad you're atleast arranging an audition. What are you exactly looking for in these upgrades? The Cary is a tamed monster, you might want a "wilder" source, unless smoothness without compromise in detail is what you really want (I sure do).

smokey, how do you like the 303-eric meta42-hd600 setup? Also, do you use the 308 in a bedroom system or something?

Jan 14, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #27 of 36
I called the dealer today and they said they no longer carry any Stax as the demand was too low for Stax or any headphone. It was weird to, because I had called a month ago and they had Stax in stock.

So now I am starting to rethink the Omega 2 thing as I would hate to plop down $3000 and end up not liking them with my source or just plain not liking them. Does anybody think I should still go for the Omega 2's without listening to them? I am thinking maybe I should go with the 4040 system first beings not is not as huge as an investment as the Omega 2.

Thank you kelly for your comments. From what I have read on Audio Asylum the modded 333ES is close to the XA777ES in redbook performance. How true this is I don't know as I have not listened to the XA777ES. I know of a Cary dealer although they are far away, but it would be worth the drive before purchasing.

Quote:

unless smoothness without compromise in detail is what you really want (I sure do).

That is exactly what I am after. That is the best way I can describe the W2002, extremely smooth with tremendous amount of detail.

Jan 15, 2003 at 2:16 AM Post #28 of 36
A&M

I thought the Meta42 was better sounding than my Sugden, before I had the Headmaster modded. I used the 308>Meta>Senn/2002 combos. However, with the 2002 the Meta showed a slight noise floor that the Sugden didn't have. I was using the 308 system in a den/computer room with the 303 in a living room speaker setup. However, when I bought the Blockhead, the 303 moved to the den. Things are kind of up in the air right now. I'm not sure where everything is going to eventually land.

RVD,

That sux with the Stax.
frown.gif
If your dealer has a well broken in Cary, you should absolutely arrange a listen. (Keep in mind, they need A LOT of break in time to sound their best.) Nothing can substitute for your ears. Maybe you'll hate the Cary, who knows without trying first?

Jan 15, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #29 of 36
I'm getting a 303/200 of my own within the new year. As soon as the upgrades on my ETA42 are complete, I'll go down to nearest Cary dealer and hook this badboy up and let you know how it goes if you're interested. I'm expecting drastic improvements, this is one hell of an investment.

If I was you, I'd be very tempted to sell everything you got and get the 306/200 along with an Orpheus after hours of negotiating with Sennheiser. Hey, what setup do you primarily listen to now?

RVD, you should pick your third option.
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

As soon as the upgrades on my ETA42 are complete, I'll go down to nearest Cary dealer and hook this badboy up and let you know how it goes if you're interested.

I would definitely be interested in your impressions. More and likely I am going to not buy anything for a month or two so that I can make absolutely sure of what I want to do.

Quote:

If I was you, I'd be very tempted to sell everything you got and get the 306/200 along with an Orpheus after hours of negotiating with Sennheiser. Hey, what setup do you primarily listen to now?

I don't see an Orpheus in my future all though it would be nice and I don't think my Mom will let me take out a 2nd mortgage on the house so I can buy it.
wink.gif

My primary setup is this:

Modded Sony 333ES-> Melos SHA-Maestro-> AT W2002 with VD Signature interconnects and power cords.

I am extremely happy with my setup right now, but I am just after something more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back