Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Apr 15, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #2,806 of 2,966
@Ateefi You can doubt all you want. However, on March 4th after the complete lack of communication, I decided to send a friendly email to him and ask for a update... He did answer on the 5th to his credit and told me that depending on where and queue I was on the November 24th orders. I would have my headphone in 2 to 3 weeks.. The original estimate was 10 to 12 weeks. Obviously 2 to 3 weeks passed a long time ago and I still don't have my headphone today.

So either

1/ he is given completely false lead times to his customers to blow them off and buy some time (another word for that is lying)

2/ he doesn't have a freaking clue how long it takes to make his own product (which is your claim here)

3/ or he isn't spending the amount of time necessary to get his headphones out in the time frame he's promising.

Could be a combination of all three of these reasons.

You might not be bothered by lack of communication, but as a business owner, I know that it's completely unprofessional. Sometimes I have to relay bad news to my customers....but they always know what the hell's going on.

I am not going to cancel my order cuz I've waited this long so what the hell. However, I am making sure that prospective owners can read what the hell is really going on here.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #2,808 of 2,966
So I recently wrote to Ryan about my order from November 10th. He told me that my order would come up soon and since I probably wasn’t order #1 on November I’d like to ask if anyone here already got some shipping information (if you ordered on November 10th that is)

Apr 17, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #2,809 of 2,966
I’ve been wanting to try the Tungsten, but the ordering window opens at 3AM my time, and by the morning, they’re always sold out.

Is there anyone in Australia interested in swapping their Tungsten for a demo with another headphone? I’ve got the Nan6&7, HE500, HE6 OG, Arya Organic, HE1000 Stealth, and Susvara among others in my collection. Would be more than happy to arrange an exchange!

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #2,810 of 2,966
anyone here have a freya+ to mj3? will it give it more power? i was thinking of getting the tungsten but some people say it doesn't have enough headroom
I have the Freya S but not the MJ3. The Freya does up the voltage of both XLR and RCA outputs. It also has a 4x gain increase too. I don't have my Tungstens yet to test how it well the Freya works with weaker amps pre-amped by the Freya.

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #2,811 of 2,966
So I recently wrote to Ryan about my order from November 10th. He told me that my order would come up soon and since I probably wasn’t order #1 on November I’d like to ask if anyone here already got some shipping information (if you ordered on November 10th that is)
I'm order 8842. Haven't heard anything...

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #2,812 of 2,966

My order from November 10th shipped on Monday. It is the SS with stock/default colors. My order number was #8835.

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #2,813 of 2,966
My order from November 10th shipped on Monday. It is the SS with stock/default colors. My order number was #8835.
Oh boy I have 37 so mine will be shipped soon I hope

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #2,815 of 2,966
Any chance anyone here owns a Hifiman HE-500 you can compare to the Tungsten? I'm considering getting the double sided version next ordering time. I love my HE-500, but I'm very curious about the Tungsten especially it being compared to hard hitting planars like the HE-6 and Caldera.
Also to add to my post, how’s the bass impact and dynamics of the Tungsten compared to other planars? I’ve heard people say the Caldera hits harder in the bass.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #2,820 of 2,966
I have another five or so days with the Tungsten. Just wanted to share some things that I'm enjoying about it. First off, I'm using the DAVE/HMS and two different amp chains: 1) Riviera AIC-10 and 2) Eddie Current Studio B (300bs) and CFA3.

Overall, I really enjoy it and it comes off as an absolute bargain. Again, I understand the supply issues for it lol. But the things I'm enjoying overall:

1. It has a warmer tone with an impressive timbre, without hurting perceived resolution.. which is what happens with a lot of headphones that are perceived as warmer or dark. To my ears, the timbre outpaces the Susvara even when properly powered, which is a major win. Very impressive timbre and weight to the sound.
  2. Completeness - there isn't a single glaring gap in its performance, which is similar to the Susvara in this regard, with excellent performance across the entire spectrum
  3. It took me a while to get a grip on its bass, but it feels pretty complete and satisfying. I wouldn't mind a bit more sub-bass, but that ends up being true for me with most headphones.
  4. Uniqueness. Mainly because of the warmer tone will still being highly resolving, it stands out as a unique headphone with a very unique sound. It honestly reminds me of some of the original thoughts I had when I auditioned the much more expensive Spirit Torino Valkyria. I have one on the way, but unfortunately I don't think I will get it in time for a direct comparison. But the simple fact that it reminds me of a $12k headphone is pretty remarkable.
I think the only real opportunities come down to the fact that it could be a bit more open with spacing and come off as a bit more resolving. The Susvara in comparison does sound just a bit more resolving and open. But when you factor in price, it's simply a non-issue. It shouldn't come this close to feeling like a complement and nearly equal as it does. I would definitely recommend for purchase and I don't have any dog in this fight lol.. or reason to endorse. But very well done, I have to say.

edit* btw, I'm mentioning the Susvara here because I am demoing and solely listening to both right now.
Thank you for your impressions of the Tungsten’s. I have mine coming next month. How do they pair with the Eddie Current 300B compared the CFA3? Does the 300B have enough power for the Tungsten?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back