Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Apr 21, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #2,836 of 2,931
Any Mimic Audio buyers here got their Tungsten cans delivered? Are Mimic buyers also looking at being serviced in the same time, or are we going to have to wait much longer? I'm fine with it, just wanna know.
Afaik mimic orders will take longer

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #2,837 of 2,931
Hey all! I had oratory1990 measure my ds tungstens, here are the results!

Ultra Perf Pads Measurements + EQ Settings
Hybrid Pads Measurements + EQ Settings

I generally like the harman over ear target, so it makes sense to me that I love the Ultra Perf with a bass shelf in EQ, they are already most of the way there!

Edit: He tweeted about them as well! He seems to be pretty impressed with them!

Based on these measurements, I asked for the DS Tungsten from my order to be delivered with a pair of Caldera Hybrid pads.
I received a very prompt confirmation per email that they will take care of my special request.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #2,838 of 2,931
For those that have the DS Tungsten, which would complement it better: Caldera or Sus?

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #2,839 of 2,931
For those that have the DS Tungsten, which would complement it better: Caldera or Sus?
For me it depends on what you want out of your complimentary headphone. If you want top tier resolution and timbre then get Sus. If you want an intimate, engaging, punchy, and fun sound with 90% of Sus's resolution then get Caldera. From my experience tho, breaking the seal on Tungsten with hybrid pads is incredibly fun sounding, and its the closest thing I've heard to a LCD4 just without the uneven treble mess the LCD4 has. Swapping back to Perf pads Tungsten gives a more composed and analytical sound. It can play both roles pretty well with just a simple pad swap. Personally, I'm holding onto my Susvara for those "Wow" moments, and I run Tungsten with a more bass heavy and rowdy sound to compliment Sus.

Apr 22, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #2,840 of 2,931

The Susvara are probably further from the Tungsten if you’re looking for max contrast. But they are all quite different.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #2,841 of 2,931
Thanks for the responses @Melineous and @goldwerger! Seems like I should wait for the right deal to come along for a Sus. The problem is that there's a beautiful pair of Stabilized LTD Calderas on the classifieds right now...

Apr 22, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #2,842 of 2,931
Thanks for the responses @Melineous and @goldwerger! Seems like I should wait for the right deal to come along for a Sus. The problem is that there's a beautiful pair of Stabilized LTD Calderas on the classifieds right now...

Go for it! I love my Calderas, and there’s nothing like an emotional connection to a beautifully crafted ZMF headphone ❤️

Apr 22, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #2,843 of 2,931
Tungsten "noctua" edition...

photo_2024-04-22_19-40-13.jpgphoto_2024-04-22_19-56-53.jpgphoto_2024-04-22_19-57-05.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #2,846 of 2,931
It’s really impressive how much the subbass/bass increases when loosing clamp / pulling them away a bit from your ear.

Now I didn receive the spacer the early models had but I’ll just try and put something between the pads and the cans itself to see how bass behaves

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #2,848 of 2,931
So I just put some cardboard between the pad steel ring the cans themselves and I think I can hear a difference in bass quantity.

I guess I’ll have to print a vented adapter

Attachments

• IMG_4309.jpeg
    IMG_4309.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #2,850 of 2,931
Now I didn receive the spacer the early models had but I’ll just try and put something between the pads and the cans itself to see how bass behaves
The way I did it is to just lift the pad slightly and rotate it about 45° until it loosely snaps into place on the center set of screws. The outer set of baffle screws will create the air gap. If you find you like the sound that way then you can take the pads off and realign them on the ring so they don't have a weird fitment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back