Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Apr 4, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #2,762 of 2,941
Let’s see…ordered November 24…..
No communication whatsoever until February 15 with his blanket email to everyone telling us why he is behind…. But zero estimates for new lead times or where anyone was on the list
I finally emailed him (nicely) on March 4 which he answered March 5 saying he had started the November 3rd orders and depending on where I was on the November 24th que….I can expect 2-3 more weeks.
Nothing else

This doesnt sound like much communication to me.

So either he literally doesnt have a clue how long it takes to make his headphone, he is giving blow off lead times to buy time and stall the customer, or he isn’t putting in the time to take care of his obligations in the manner he promised.

He can crack a beer on Friday evening and send a blanket email to everyone saying something like “I finished November 3rd orders….next week I hope and expect to have 1/2 of the November 10th orders done” or something to that effect….or just have a google speadsheet that everyone can see the progress like ZMF. It literally should take 3 minutes each week to just give people an idea if he is that far behind.!

Again communication keeps people content.
While I do agree Ryan can email customers more often if there’s a delay, he is working every day to crank out headphones. Sometimes there are part delays and other times there are custom orders that are a bit unusual.
And then there are trade shows he attends, like CanJam NY.

Except for the drivers, Ryan builds everything at home with the help of his household, so I would be understanding if there are delays.

His original intention is to make a headphone of this caliber for under 1000, but that proved to be impossible. Instead for 1500-2100 dollars you’re getting a headphone that competes well with the TOTL, made by companies with huge resources.

At the high end, the best equipment in this space takes months to deliver (Holo Audio May, Zähl HM-1, etc) so waiting is just the reality of this market, especially for boutique sellers.

On the final matter of communication, Ryan is blocked from commenting on head fi. I don’t know why and will not speculate.

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #2,763 of 2,941
While I do agree Ryan can email customers more often if there’s a delay, he is working every day to crank out headphones. Sometimes there are part delays and other times there are custom orders that are a bit unusual.
And then there are trade shows he attends, like CanJam NY.

Except for the drivers, Ryan builds everything at home with the help of his household, so I would be understanding if there are delays.

His original intention is to make a headphone of this caliber for under 1000, but that proved to be impossible. Instead for 1500-2100 dollars you’re getting a headphone that competes well with the TOTL, made by companies with huge resources.

At the high end, the best equipment in this space takes months to deliver (Holo Audio May, Zähl HM-1, etc) so waiting is just the reality of this market, especially for boutique sellers.

On the final matter of communication, Ryan is blocked from commenting on head fi. I don’t know why and will not speculate.
I think the only thing that people are complaining about here is the fact that he's not communicating in a professional way.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #2,764 of 2,941
DS Tungstens have finally arrived.
Obviously it will take a week or two to let both them and myself get "burned in", but the first impressions are definitely positive.
Over the years I have attempted to upgrade my Shipibo modded HE-6, but sadly to no avail. Purchased Susvara twice on two different setups - they were obviously better, with great technical level, but sadly I didn't love the tuning and found the staging subpar, so I barely used them. LCD5 and Expanse disappointed me on every level. I liked the 1266 tc, but had comfort issues and they weren't really designed for listening while lying on the bed. T+A Solitaire P were great on a technical level, but with timbre that could be described as repulsive. To this day, I don't know if that unit was broken or if this is what "neutral" truly sounds like. Whatever it is, I don't want it.

So the Tungstens have a very tough task ahead of them - but if I don't fall in love, I'll sell them and maybe try to get Immanis. As far as my preferences go, I mostly want a massive soundstage; beautiful, natural timbre; smooth yet sparkly treble and a bit overly eager low end.
The first few hours are promising. Tungstens offer a balanced presentation on a high technical level with very good clarity, lots of detail, good width and great depth. The sound feels unobstructed, airy, flowing - what I mean is that You don't have this effect of enclosed sound like for example in Audeze headphones. I've tried electronic music, classic rock, blues, metal, ambient, classical orchestral, chamber and they handled it all really well. I'd say electronic was the only one I didn't really love and the reason will be listed below.
If You're one of the people who like having only one pair of headphones (like me) and listen to a variety of genres (again, like me), I'd say they are a very strong contender. I've seen the claims, that they are overly neutral. After my Solitaire P adventure, I don't really know if that is the case. I can definitely say they aren't solitaire p levels of neutral and therefore are much more enjoyable to listen to.

As for the things I don't love (not necessarily objectively bad):
  • The timbre feels a bit "duller" than I enjoy. It's not bad by any means, just lacking that final 2%.
  • I wish the sound was a bit bigger. I don't just mean thick and lush (like meze empyrean) - I mean that the imaginary instruments, when I close my eyes, are a bit too small.
  • I prefer tuning where headphones have slightly more bass than they should, with defined slam and great extension. Tungstens do it more "by the book", but aren't on the technical level of Susvara.
  • The treble feels mostly sparkly yet smooth, but there are moments where some of the sounds get a bit too metallic/bright dry. It's that effect which forces me to lower the volume of the entire song based on two random notes that become unbearable and painful and feel like they were boosted by 5-10db or something. I suspect it might be due to drivers needing a bit of a burn in period. Cable might also be at fault. Or not, we shall see.
Are they a Susvara/1266 alternative? So far I don't think so, they seem to be just a step below. Probably around the level of something like Caldera. It's been a while since I've heard the Erzetich Charybdis, but to my ears they are better than those - and I think Charybdis are really good for their price. And let's be real, Sus and 1266TC are not for everyone and they are significantly more expensive. So the Tungstens seem more than reasonable at their current MSRP.
So far I still prefer my modded HE-6, but Tungstens only have a couple of hours under the belt and should become better after ... 100h? I'm also waiting for the DHC Prion adapter, so that I could use it with both cans. In my experience, those two changes could potentially solve most, maybe even all of the aforementioned issues. So I'm definitely positive and hopeful.

I need to disclose that my hearing hasn't been great as of late. Covid followed by sinusitis really affected it quite a bit - I still have slight tinnitus and hear certain high frequencies from completely wrong spots. So take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #2,765 of 2,941
Obviously it will take a week or two to let both them and myself get "burned in", but the first impressions are definitely positive.
Over the years I have attempted to upgrade my Shipibo modded HE-6, but sadly to no avail. Purchased Susvara twice on two different setups - they were obviously better, with great technical level, but sadly I didn't love the tuning and found the staging subpar, so I barely used them. LCD5 and Expanse disappointed me on every level. I liked the 1266 tc, but had comfort issues and they weren't really designed for listening while lying on the bed. T+A Solitaire P were great on a technical level, but with timbre that could be described as repulsive. To this day, I don't know if that unit was broken or if this is what "neutral" truly sounds like. Whatever it is, I don't want it.

So the Tungstens have a very tough task ahead of them - but if I don't fall in love, I'll sell them and maybe try to get Immanis. As far as my preferences go, I mostly want a massive soundstage; beautiful, natural timbre; smooth yet sparkly treble and a bit overly eager low end.
The first few hours are promising. Tungstens offer a balanced presentation on a high technical level with very good clarity, lots of detail, good width and great depth. The sound feels unobstructed, airy, flowing - what I mean is that You don't have this effect of enclosed sound like for example in Audeze headphones. I've tried electronic music, classic rock, blues, metal, ambient, classical orchestral, chamber and they handled it all really well. I'd say electronic was the only one I didn't really love and the reason will be listed below.
If You're one of the people who like having only one pair of headphones (like me) and listen to a variety of genres (again, like me), I'd say they are a very strong contender. I've seen the claims, that they are overly neutral. After my Solitaire P adventure, I don't really know if that is the case. I can definitely say they aren't solitaire p levels of neutral and therefore are much more enjoyable to listen to.

• The timbre feels a bit "duller" than I enjoy. It's not bad by any means, just lacking that final 2%.
  • I wish the sound was a bit bigger. I don't just mean thick and lush (like meze empyrean) - I mean that the imaginary instruments, when I close my eyes, are a bit too small.
  • I prefer tuning where headphones have slightly more bass than they should, with defined slam and great extension. Tungstens do it more "by the book", but aren't on the technical level of Susvara.
  • The treble feels mostly sparkly yet smooth, but there are moments where some of the sounds get a bit too metallic/bright dry. It's that effect which forces me to lower the volume of the entire song based on two random notes that become unbearable and painful and feel like they were boosted by 5-10db or something. I suspect it might be due to drivers needing a bit of a burn in period. Cable might also be at fault. Or not, we shall see.
Are they a Susvara/1266 alternative? So far I don't think so, they seem to be just a step below. Probably around the level of something like Caldera. It's been a while since I've heard the Erzetich Charybdis, but to my ears they are better than those - and I think Charybdis are really good for their price. And let's be real, Sus and 1266TC are not for everyone and they are significantly more expensive. So the Tungstens seem more than reasonable at their current MSRP.
So far I still prefer my modded HE-6, but Tungstens only have a couple of hours under the belt and should become better after ... 100h? I'm also waiting for the DHC Prion adapter, so that I could use it with both cans. In my experience, those two changes could potentially solve most, maybe even all of the aforementioned issues. So I'm definitely positive and hopeful.

I need to disclose that my hearing hasn't been great as of late. Covid followed by sinusitis really affected it quite a bit - I still have slight tinnitus and hear certain high frequencies from completely wrong spots. So take whatever I say with a grain of salt.
Some people hear a treble peak at about 8-9 kHz which can be grating. Two solutions are: change the outer grill to something a bit more spacious like the honey comb grills that Zeos has or use a hybrid silver/copper cable which seems to even out the treble. Another solution is ear pad swap but I can’t make recommendations.

As for timbre, between Susvara and Tungsten, I think the Tungsten edges out Susvara in timbre. There’s been many times where the Tungsten brings clarity to instruments that are more to the back of the mix. I suspect dullness might be more of a FR thing than a timbre issue.

As for bass, I don’t think it’s technical in the boring sense. It slams harder than Susvara but Susvara has a stronger subbass compared to Tungsten DS with Caldera Ultra perforated pads. This can be tuned with different pads or using a better amp. My experience at CanJam NYC showed me that good tube amps or powerful solid state amps can improve the bass without changing pads.

Anyway, I hope you’re enjoying the Tungsten’s and as time goes on you’ll be able to understand more of what the Tungsten is capable of.

Try watching movies with the Tungsten. I get more wow factor with Tungsten then I do with Susvara.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #2,766 of 2,941
Some people hear a treble peak at about 8-9 kHz which can be grating. Two solutions are: change the outer grill to something a bit more spacious like the honey comb grills that Zeos has or use a hybrid silver/copper cable which seems to even out the treble. Another solution is ear pad swap but I can’t make recommendations.

As for timbre, between Susvara and Tungsten, I think the Tungsten edges out Susvara in timbre. There’s been many times where the Tungsten brings clarity to instruments that are more to the back of the mix. I suspect dullness might be more of a FR thing than a timbre issue.

As for bass, I don’t think it’s technical in the boring sense. It slams harder than Susvara but Susvara has a stronger subbass compared to Tungsten DS with Caldera Ultra perforated pads. This can be tuned with different pads or using a better amp. My experience at CanJam NYC showed me that good tube amps or powerful solid state amps can improve the bass without changing pads.

Anyway, I hope you’re enjoying the Tungsten’s and as time goes on you’ll be able to understand more of what the Tungsten is capable of.

Try watching movies with the Tungsten. I get more wow factor with Tungsten then I do with Susvara.
I realize this is seemingly the solution to everything on this forum, but I can't recommend enough a 300B amp for the tungsten. The bass and subbass are really really nice with it. (Prolly won't make one magically enjoy it if they don't already, but it is a genuinely enjoyable experience)

I've not found the tungsten fatiguing at all, where I've found the susvara to be fatiguing in some areas. Definitely enjoy the tungsten more even if the susvara are technically superior in some cases

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #2,767 of 2,941

Just know I was in the same boat, and had the same impressions on Tungsten. Just don't sleep on the last trick I posted if you plan on keeping them. Get a set of the hybrid pads if you don't already have them, and rotate them about 45° until they loosely snap in place. Truly shocking how enjoyable Tungsten becomes.

Apr 5, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #2,769 of 2,941
Hybrid pads should tame the 8-9kHz peak a little bit, at least the measurements seem to show that.
tung perf.pngtung hyb.png

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #2,770 of 2,941
I realize this is seemingly the solution to everything on this forum, but I can't recommend enough a 300B amp for the tungsten. The bass and subbass are really really nice with it. (Prolly won't make one magically enjoy it if they don't already, but it is a genuinely enjoyable experience)
Agree 100%. Plus, voltage tends to be about twice Ryan's 20 Vrms guideline with more power available at the higher impedance settings.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #2,771 of 2,941

I've not found the tungsten fatiguing at all, where I've found the susvara to be fatiguing in some areas. Definitely enjoy the tungsten more even if the susvara are technically superior in some cases
The Tungsten does seem to like to sing with Tubes... I noticed several people at CamJam trying out the Tungsten on the Woo Audio WA33 ....

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #2,773 of 2,941

Don't do this to me. I have a WA22 and have been thinking of trying a 300b amp, but was going to put it off for awhile since I bought the Tungsten lol.

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #2,774 of 2,941
I would advise those getting DS version get the hybrid pad too. I have them on 99% of the time.
Likewise, probably a good idea for those getting the SS to also pick up the ultra perforated pads in addition to the stock hybrids. It's so easy to switch back and forth plus most are likely to develop a strong preference over time.

In my case, I've unexpectedly developed a preference for the stock ultra perforated pads on my DS despite normally preferring a warmer tuning and initially favoring the hybrid pads.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #2,775 of 2,941

Yea, it edges the Susvara out with timbre. That's its main strength overall, in addition to a balanced sound.. albeit with a darker tone than average. A bit better subbass was the only opportunity on my end, and that's with a 300b amp in my chain. But it didn't strike me as really deficient. But would agree, the Susvara properly powered has better subbass. I didn't sense a major sense of impact/slam, but that's something I'll look for if I try them again in the future.

I now have the Valkyria, which is much more expensive. I would say tonally and overall presentation wise, the Tungsten felt like a less refined/TOTL version of it. Similar tone and presentation, and both have similar bass presentations--which could be a bit better but are sufficient for the music I listen to through headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back