Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 22, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #2,566 of 2,880
I think most people share in the frustration as you do... could this be handled differently ??? sure there are other ways... there was one project that I bought into years ago that was limited in shipments and the way he did it was to put on his web site a count down.. you got assigned an order number that put you in line and then if you wondered where you where in the que you could log onto the site and see what order number was being shipped that week... and so you could pretty much tell where you stood in line.... the problem here is there are at least two different order sites... mimic and modhouse... so no one actually knows where they stand... and there aren't that many people here reporting that they got theirs yet.... so it is slightly confusing at best.. a update had been sent out a while back but nothing recent... dead crickets and all of that
I mean if I order something that has a long waiting time I am prepared to wait a long time for it. Even if it delays I can cope with it. But man we’re about 63% over the estimated waiting time and the only update we had thus far was that the November orders should begin to ship by the end of February. Now it’s the end of march and no new update or anything while the current estimated lead time is still at 16 weeks while people are waiting for 19 weeks plus.

My frustration isn’t from the waiting time, it’s from the false statement of the leadtime.

Just tell people to wait 20-25 weeks and buyers will have be happy to receive them earlier or are well within their waiting time.

But telling them to wait for 12 weeks and new buyers 16 weeks while the more realistic time is 20-25 weeks is kinda meh.

Especially considering people pay 2k for those headphones.

(TLDR yes I understand that Ryan is a single man army that builds them by himself and he is overwhelmed by orders, my problem is that the estimated lead time he advertises is way off the real waiting time)

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #2,567 of 2,880
I am one of the buyers that understood and accepted a long wait time (even beyond the estimated lead time). While I'm not upset or annoyed at the moment (my order was with Mimic in January), but can totally understand why people would be.

If Mod House continues to have success in terms of demand, I would expect that Ryan would hire some help. It is literally the only rationale action to take, as any small business would do the same. That's the hope! If you need help, it's a good thing. It's absolutely not sustainable to continue being a one-man show unless you simply don't care. I don't think that's the case here.

Does anyone know what Ryan's vision is for his business? To me, the Tungsten is a clear sign he wants to grow and make his mark on the industry.

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #2,568 of 2,880
Susvara isn't really a good Benchmark for subbass. If Tungsten doesn't even reach that it might not be for me :frowning2:
It depends what version you go for, from reports the SS version of Tungsten has more bass than the DS version and the pads use also have an effect.

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #2,569 of 2,880
Well it's not that I dislike everything that doesn't sound like the Empyrean...as can be seen in my signature.

If we go by goldwergers review, then the Tungsten is a homerun. However recent impressions do a 180 to his review... we'll have to wait and see
I'm surprise that with all the high-end headphones you have, you still have the LCD2C. Tbh, in my low to mid-range collection of HP, the LCD2C are probably the most fun sounding, once you EQ them properly.

Mar 22, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #2,571 of 2,880
nice pics.... source ??

asked Ryan to share the color combinations of the latest productions mainly to get inspiration when it's my turn .. I thought it was nice to share them

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #2,572 of 2,880
I'm surprise that with all the high-end headphones you have, you still have the LCD2C. Tbh, in my low to mid-range collection of HP, the LCD2C are probably the most fun sounding, once you EQ them properly.
5 years ago I used to own several "non flagships" like LCD-2C, LCD-2 closed, Hifiman Arya, Edition X etc. I sold all of them after acquiring the Meze Empyrean.

However after a while I actually missed the LCD-2C and my fiance bought me a pair during black friday sales.

They aren't on the same level of technicalities but undeniably an enjoyable listen. And at their comparatively low price not too big of an investment to keep them.

Mar 22, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #2,573 of 2,880
5 years ago I used to own several "non flagships" like LCD-2C, LCD-2 closed, Hifiman Arya, Edition X etc. I sold all of them after acquiring the Meze Empyrean.

However after a while I actually missed the LCD-2C and my fiance bought me a pair during black friday sales.

They aren't on the same level of technicalities but undeniably an enjoyable listen. And at their comparatively low price not too big of an investment to keep them.
Yep, there's some special juice with the LCD2C, really enjoyable, my only complain is that I had to EQ them to bring out the best on them and they're heave af, so long listening sessions are out of the question.

Mar 22, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #2,574 of 2,880
asked Ryan to share the color combinations of the latest productions mainly to get inspiration when it's my turn .. I thought it was nice to share them
@PierPP Thanks very much for taking the time to post the pics... most of us have never seen the colors... at the Dallas Camjam there was only one pair to play with (mimic Audio) and I actually saw two others that were owned by attendees... so this is a rare sight for everyone to see them... again thanks for sharing... very cool

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #2,575 of 2,880
Well it's not that I dislike everything that doesn't sound like the Empyrean...as can be seen in my signature.

If we go by goldwergers review, then the Tungsten is a homerun. However recent impressions do a 180 to his review... we'll have to wait and see
We'll see but I have high hopes that my SS Tungsten with the Moffat Bass of my Yggy OG1 and the heft of Flux Mentor will sate my sub bass desires. That chain has my HeK Stealth knocking pretty damn hard.

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #2,576 of 2,880
This is why complete the first batch then sell for another. I placed first order on the first day never got them and started seeing people with them. I canceled!

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #2,577 of 2,880
This is why complete the first batch then sell for another. I placed first order on the first day never got them and started seeing people with them. I canceled!
Well afaik Ryan sold them to people that contacted him before they were available on the modhouse shop so may that way why people got them before you did.

Yet I can I understand the frustration.

Tho a more realistic lead time would still be nice

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #2,578 of 2,880
Well afaik Ryan sold them to people that contacted him before they were available on the modhouse shop so may that way why people got them before you did.

Yet I can I understand the frustration.

Tho a more realistic lead time would still be nice

I wanted them so bad since hearing them at North Wales PA meet near Philadelphia.
Everyday, then like kept refreshing and refreshing. 😭

Yes their that ****ing good. I'd sell my left nut if I needed to.

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #2,579 of 2,880
I wanted them so bad since hearing them at North Wales PA meet near Philadelphia.

So you wanted them, you bought them, then you didn’t have the patience to wait and got mad because others got them before you did and cancelled your order and now you regret it? Damn I guess I can wait lol

Mar 22, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #2,580 of 2,880

How are they with the V8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back