Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 21, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #2,551 of 2,878
Are there any DACs anyone could recommend that pairs nicely with the tungstens?
Tungsten are very resolving. Get the best DAC that you can afford. I'm using Wandla because it has Pre out for speaker amps.

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #2,552 of 2,878
Ferrum Audio Wandla GoldenSound Edition. It was tuned with Tungsten in mind, and with Impact+, you get sub bass that's Susvara level. The other options Goldensound options are very noticeable with Tungsten, and the filters available are great to tune your music to your preferences. As a general DAC it offers a ton of options.

Mar 22, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #2,553 of 2,878
Ferrum Audio Wandla GoldenSound Edition. It was tuned with Tungsten in mind, and with Impact+, you get sub bass that's Susvara level. The other options Goldensound options are very noticeable with Tungsten, and the filters available are great to tune your music to your preferences. As a general DAC it offers a ton of options.
Susvara isn't really a good Benchmark for subbass. If Tungsten doesn't even reach that it might not be for me :frowning2:

Mar 22, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #2,555 of 2,878
How dare you! :scream:

Watch out for Susvara fanboys :wink:
As an Empyrean fan I am very battle hardened in discussions with Susvara Fans 🤣
They can't scare me

Mar 22, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #2,556 of 2,878
As an Empyrean fan I am very battle hardened in discussions with Susvara Fans 🤣
They can't scare me
If You are an Empyrean fan, I suppose the Tungsten really shouldn't be for You :beyersmile: At least based on the initial descriptions.
In fact, I'm not sure if there are other high-end headphones with similar signature. Can't think of any.

Mar 22, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #2,557 of 2,878
If You are an Empyrean fan, I suppose the Tungsten really shouldn't be for You :beyersmile: At least based on the initial descriptions.
In fact, I'm not sure if there are other high-end headphones with similar signature. Can't think of any.
Well it's not that I dislike everything that doesn't sound like the Empyrean...as can be seen in my signature.

If we go by goldwergers review, then the Tungsten is a homerun. However recent impressions do a 180 to his review... we'll have to wait and see

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #2,559 of 2,878
depends on what amp you plan on the DAC to match... also what options on the DAC... do you want/need wireless connection... that is nice to have if you have an iphone/android or someone like a friend that would like to listen to their music... there are many good DACs to use with the Tungsten... even the Topping DACs are actually pretty good for the price..

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #2,560 of 2,878
on this forum the magic word is " WAIT" .... :)
I mean, without wanting to sound like a dick or disrespectful, but patience will run out if Ryan keeps up his „bad time management“.

While I can totally understand that it takes him a long time to build tungsten and it’s a ton of work to keep up with orders he should rise his estimated lead time on his homepage.

When I ordered on November 10th the lead time was 12 weeks. After that he raised it to 14 weeks somewhere around January (?).
Now the current lead time is 16 weeks for new orders.
And while 16 weeks sounds like a long time I’ve been waiting for my pair for 19 weeks now.

While we all know that we have to wait and be patient it’s somewhat really annoying to see the leadtime being off by more than 7 weeks now and rising.

either don’t give a leadtime or rise it up even further and go for 20 weeks.
People will be less disappointed as the cans maybe shipped earlier and people will have a more realistic approach to the upcoming waiting game.

The only issue I have now, is that I’ll be moving by the end of may and if he didn’t send them by then I have to change the address he has to ship them too.

Kinda funny to describe the waiting time of tungsten’s with:
I had to wait such a long time I moved to another address before I got them

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #2,561 of 2,878
I think most people share in the frustration as you do... could this be handled differently ??? sure there are other ways... there was one project that I bought into years ago that was limited in shipments and the way he did it was to put on his web site a count down.. you got assigned an order number that put you in line and then if you wondered where you where in the que you could log onto the site and see what order number was being shipped that week... and so you could pretty much tell where you stood in line.... the problem here is there are at least two different order sites... mimic and modhouse... so no one actually knows where they stand... and there aren't that many people here reporting that they got theirs yet.... so it is slightly confusing at best.. a update had been sent out a while back but nothing recent... dead crickets and all of that

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #2,562 of 2,878
I think most people share in the frustration as you do... could this be handled differently ??? sure there are other ways... there was one project that I bought into years ago that was limited in shipments and the way he did it was to put on his web site a count down.. you got assigned an order number that put you in line and then if you wondered where you where in the que you could log onto the site and see what order number was being shipped that week... and so you could pretty much tell where you stood in line.... the problem here is there are at least two different order sites... mimic and modhouse... so no one actually knows where they stand... and there aren't that many people here reporting that they got theirs yet.... so it is slightly confusing at best.. a update had been sent out a while back but nothing recent... dead crickets and all of that
I would love it if Mod House can have a counter on the orders being fulfilled. They just have to update once per week to show which order dates they are working on or shipping out.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #2,563 of 2,878
I mean, without wanting to sound like a dick or disrespectful, but patience will run out if Ryan keeps up his „bad time management“.

While I can totally understand that it takes him a long time to build tungsten and it’s a ton of work to keep up with orders he should rise his estimated lead time on his homepage.

When I ordered on November 10th the lead time was 12 weeks. After that he raised it to 14 weeks somewhere around January (?).
Now the current lead time is 16 weeks for new orders.
And while 16 weeks sounds like a long time I’ve been waiting for my pair for 19 weeks now.

While we all know that we have to wait and be patient it’s somewhat really annoying to see the leadtime being off by more than 7 weeks now and rising.

either don’t give a leadtime or rise it up even further and go for 20 weeks.
People will be less disappointed as the cans maybe shipped earlier and people will have a more realistic approach to the upcoming waiting game.

The only issue I have now, is that I’ll be moving by the end of may and if he didn’t send them by then I have to change the address he has to ship them too.

Kinda funny to describe the waiting time of tungsten’s with:
I had to wait such a long time I moved to another address before I got them
I put my name in list till i got it almost 5 months.

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #2,564 of 2,878
photo_2024-03-22_17-37-47.jpgphoto_2024-03-22_17-37-44.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back