Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 17, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #2,521 of 2,965
I am assuming Ryan is over worked and now has carpal tunnel syndrome from constantly making our cans? His hands are probably shaking and weak from all the hand tightened screws he had to put in.

ehh
he was probably tired or something but yeah.
Luck of the draw in how the courier ships a product. Maybe your box was treated like the proverbial football, or the truck hit a bad pothole, etc. There's also the material science aspect in how does a screw fasten on plastic, especially a new form like 3d printed nylon.

Newer units have more glue in the screws to prevent natural unfastening, Ryan has said.

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #2,522 of 2,965
Luck of the draw in how the courier ships a product. Maybe your box was treated like the proverbial football, or the truck hit a bad pothole, etc. There's also the material science aspect in how does a screw fasten on plastic, especially a new form like 3d printed nylon.

Newer units have more glue in the screws to prevent natural unfastening, Ryan has said.
good point. i had a good power cable come all the way apart in shipping with no less than 4 screws that had rattled themselves loose.

Mar 17, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #2,525 of 2,965
Oh yes. It’s transformer coupled with impedance selector. Note that there is a commercial build coming up from ZMF (built by Cayon, with L0rdGwyn’s design) in a few weeks. I demo-ed it at CanJam and it’s very similar to the DIY version I have.

Pairs very with Caldera, and is a very good all-rounder amp. The symmetrical build will be about 3.5k (3.2k launch price I think)
have you compared it to other OTC? like A&K? i am sorry if i have to many questions

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #2,526 of 2,965
have you compared it to other OTC? like A&K? i am sorry if i have to many questions

I currently own 3 TC amps - Auris Nirvana, Decware Taboo, and the Aegis. Each has different properties and strength (and I keep them because of unique synergies they have with various heapdhones).

Without going OT or into a long amp writeup, the Aegis is unique in its very spacious presentation coupled with a very refined and clean sound signature. It synergizes exceptioanlly well with the Tungsten, as well as with all ZMF headphones (dynamic and planar). It also allow a rather wide awway of tube rolling options, which (mostly output tubes) can affect the sound signature materially (for example, EL37 tubes offers an enormously spacious soundstage with a delicate presentation, while 6550 tubes offer deeper bass, more focused center image, and a warmer presetnation).

imho, yhe Aegis at its intended commmercial price point, will offer an extremely compelling value proposiition as an all-rounder.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #2,527 of 2,965
I currently own 3 TC amps - Auris Nirvana, Decware Taboo, and the Aegis. Each has different properties and strength (and I keep them because of unique synergies they have with various heapdhones).

Without going OT or into a long amp writeup, the Aegis is unique in its very spacious presentation coupled with a very refined and clean sound signature. It synergizes exceptioanlly well with the Tungsten, as well as with all ZMF headphones (dynamic and planar). It also allow a rather wide awway of tube rolling options, which (mostly output tubes) can affect the sound signature materially (for example, EL37 tubes offers an enormously spacious soundstage with a delicate presentation, while 6550 tubes offer deeper bass, more focused center image, and a warmer presetnation).

imho, yhe Aegis at its intended commmercial price point, will offer an extremely compelling value proposiition as an all-rounder.
thank you! appreciate it! im looking to get my first tube amp but also dont want to keep upgrading.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #2,528 of 2,965
thank you! appreciate it! im looking to get my first tube amp but also dont want to keep upgrading.
That’s an oxymoron. If you are going for tube amps, you will Always try to upgrade. From new tubes to new headphones to even newer amps.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #2,529 of 2,965

just set a budget and get the best thing you can within that budget.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #2,530 of 2,965
Aegis is unique in its very spacious presentation coupled with a very refined and clean sound signature. It synergizes exceptioanlly well with the Tungsten, as well as with all ZMF headphones (dynamic and planar). It also allow a rather wide awway of tube rolling options, which (mostly output tubes) can affect the sound signature materially (for example, EL37 tubes offers an enormously spacious soundstage with a delicate presentation, while 6550 tubes offer deeper bass, more focused center image, and a warmer presetnation).
Tung Sol 5998 compatible?

damn what a dreamy amp.

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #2,531 of 2,965
Tung Sol 5998 compatible?

damn what a dreamy amp.

If you go to the Aegis thread, you’ll find links to all the public materials for this open sources design, including all tubes permissible (I can’t recall).

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #2,532 of 2,965
Time for big bottles.
20240319_134634.jpg

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #2,533 of 2,965
^^^ That amplifier looks awesome (and powerful!!). I'm sure it sounds huge.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back