Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 14, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #2,446 of 3,179
msg214562197-117670.jpg

lll.jpg

Epic colour combination indeed. :)

Exactly.

Now just need to install a great Italian Riveria amp in the car, and it's all perfect... (except safety🤣)

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #2,447 of 3,179
1710458914010.png

This is my flavor! Might have to paint them after they arrive.

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #2,448 of 3,179
msg214562197-117670.jpg

lll.jpg

Epic colour combination indeed. :)
Wow that’s a beautiful colour combo. Tried demo-ing the tungsten at canjam but it was a tad noisy at the mimic booth so couldn’t really get a decent listen

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #2,449 of 3,179
I wish I bought red/white. My Mimic purples are next in line apparently. So, I contacted Mimic about the late shipment (Nov 3rd order date), and he said I was 5th in line. Apparently 4 have been made in this current run, and then the creator decided to stop at that. I'm in the next Mimic run; apparently next in line. So I'm guessing April (hopefully not later). I think the creator made a mistake using Mimic. He made shipping estimates that weren't accurate. I have no idea when my unit will come, but it better be worth the wait.

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #2,451 of 3,179
I wish I bought red/white. My Mimic purples are next in line apparently. So, I contacted Mimic about the late shipment (Nov 3rd order date), and he said I was 5th in line. Apparently 4 have been made in this current run, and then the creator decided to stop at that. I'm in the next Mimic run; apparently next in line. So I'm guessing April (hopefully not later). I think the creator made a mistake using Mimic. He made shipping estimates that weren't accurate. I have no idea when my unit will come, but it better be worth the wait.
there is a 99% chance he wishes he didnt but whats done is done; contracts and whatnot.

Mar 15, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #2,452 of 3,179
there is a 99% chance he wishes he didnt but whats done is done; contracts and

TLDR; Ryan and Mimic have a good relationship, it’s not a mistake, Mimic is a good dealer. Tungsten is worth the wait, have patience.

Ryan and Mimic have a good relationship with each other. The purpose of the Mimic edition is to offer the best set up of the Tungsten (double sided magnets with Caldera ultra perforated pads, with a striking purple grill) at a good price and at the same time, allowing customers of Mimic Audio to use a variety of payment options. I was able to secure a Tungsten for myself because Mimic’s payment options.

It’s unfortunate that wait times are longer than 2 months but Ryan is a single household boutique manufacturer. But if you order any high end device that isn’t mass produced, you will always have to wait for it to be produced, like Holo Audio equipment, tube amps, etc.

One silver lining is that those who are getting Tungsten’s in 2024 are getting better versions than the ones released in 2023, such as drivers with improved sensitivity, better ear pad tweaks, more choices in grill materials, and other minor tweaks based on feedback from enthusiasts and early owners.

For those who are patiently waiting, it is worth the wait. You’re getting a headphone that is in the same level as Susvara, Ab-1266, and other TOTL phones.

Before I ever tried a TOTL headphone, my imagination of a high end headphone is a lot in line with what Tungsten presents to me. My Susvara did not Wow me on the first listen. But the prototype Tungsten did Wow me, giving me a sound that I craved from the Susvara.

Now don’t get me wrong Susvara is a great headphone. But it needs serious equipment at 15k+ USD to sound more amazing than the Tungsten (but Tungsten also sounds even more amazing on said equipment making it sound closer to Susvara’s strengths). If you have an amp that can power Susvara, your Tungsten won’t disappoint. And it’s customizable with magnetic ear pads. Also it’s comfortable.

So go about your daily life and before you know it, it will ship and then the fun begins!

Mar 15, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #2,453 of 3,179
TLDR; Ryan and Mimic have a good relationship, it’s not a mistake, Mimic is a good dealer. Tungsten is worth the wait, have patience.

Ryan and Mimic have a good relationship with each other. The purpose of the Mimic edition is to offer the best set up of the Tungsten (double sided magnets with Caldera ultra perforated pads, with a striking purple grill) at a good price and at the same time, allowing customers of Mimic Audio to use a variety of payment options. I was able to secure a Tungsten for myself because Mimic’s payment options.

It’s unfortunate that wait times are longer than 2 months but Ryan is a single household boutique manufacturer. But if you order any high end device that isn’t mass produced, you will always have to wait for it to be produced, like Holo Audio equipment, tube amps, etc.

One silver lining is that those who are getting Tungsten’s in 2024 are getting better versions than the ones released in 2023, such as drivers with improved sensitivity, better ear pad tweaks, more choices in grill materials, and other minor tweaks based on feedback from enthusiasts and early owners.

For those who are patiently waiting, it is worth the wait. You’re getting a headphone that is in the same level as Susvara, Ab-1266, and other TOTL phones.

Before I ever tried a TOTL headphone, my imagination of a high end headphone is a lot in line with what Tungsten presents to me. My Susvara did not Wow me on the first listen. But the prototype Tungsten did Wow me, giving me a sound that I craved from the Susvara.

Now don’t get me wrong Susvara is a great headphone. But it needs serious equipment at 15k+ USD to sound more amazing than the Tungsten (but Tungsten also sounds even more amazing on said equipment making it sound closer to Susvara’s strengths). If you have an amp that can power Susvara, your Tungsten won’t disappoint. And it’s customizable with magnetic ear pads. Also it’s comfortable.

So go about your daily life and before you know it, it will ship and then the fun begins!
This has really piqued my curiosity about the Tungsten. Currently, I'm an Abyss 1266 owner and I'm selling some gear to raise funds for the Susvara. I'm taking my time in doing so, and there's not rush. However, I've been following the Tungsten thread here and continue to be very intrigued and they hype seems genuine across the board. The price point is spectacular, as many state Tungsten competes with the big boys that are 3x as expensive.

Although guys on other threads have stated Tungsten is great, but not Susvara/1266 great. You know, subjective feedback is just that. Tungsten owners will state one thing, while Sus owners will say something else. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to hearing the Tungsten myself and make my decision. If it actually competes with the Sus and is 90% as good, but at a fraction of the price, it's a no-brainer for me.

Mar 15, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #2,454 of 3,179
^ the tungsten won't sound the same as the susvara and vice versa. and they will feel different on your head. the tungsten is heavier than the susvara and i am under the impression that it may exert more clamping force. they are different headphones and i don't regard one as being a substitute for the other.

Mar 15, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #2,455 of 3,179
If it actually competes with the Sus and is 90% as good, but at a fraction of the price, it's a no-brainer for me.

That sums it up well

Mar 15, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #2,457 of 3,179
I decided to build one of the Aegis Tube Amps for the Tungsten.... so thats going to take a bit of time while waiting on the Tungsten... would be great if the Tungsten and the Aegis come together at the same time... can't wait to get these two together
It really is a great combo, and I think it's one of the best bang for buck "endgame" setups you can get right now. I got a chance to listen to a susvara + mass kobo 465 at canjam nyc, in a quiet environment, and while that was incredible, that setup costs $23000. The DIY Aegis + Tungsten costs around $4k total, not including the price of NOS tubes. I can't really put a percentage on it but it gets you very far. Having this at home set a high bar for me, and I ended up preferring it to many of the much more expensive setups I heard.

I also wanted to say:
Please be patient with Ryan as he is swamped and trying to keep up with the orders, what we are seeing now are the growing pains of someone going from having a popular headphone mod to having a popular headphone--- that he is building by hand in his garage. A big part of why it is so amazing for the price is he keeps the cost of operations very low by doing most of it himself. I am excited to see what he does in the future, and will gladly pay more for headphones designed by him as his business scales!

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #2,458 of 3,179
Curious if anybody has actually attempted to quantify (I know this is subjective) the Tungsten vs. Susvara or Abyss 1266. For example, I was guessing from reviews, that Tungsten is 90% of Susvara at 1/3 the cost. I'm sure everyone on the Susvara page would disagree. :L3000:

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #2,459 of 3,179
I decided to build one of the Aegis Tube Amps for the Tungsten.... so thats going to take a bit of time while waiting on the Tungsten... would be great if the Tungsten and the Aegis come together at the same time... can't wait to get these two together

Excellent combo!

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #2,460 of 3,179
Curious if anybody has actually attempted to quantify (I know this is subjective) the Tungsten vs. Susvara or Abyss 1266. For example, I was guessing from reviews, that Tungsten is 90% of Susvara at 1/3 the cost. I'm sure everyone on the Susvara page would disagree. :L3000:
@skhan007 @goldwerger ... I think goldwerger review has been the best review and compare of anyone on the net... he pretty much summed it up as the Tungsten being in a small group of TOTL phones like the Susvara/1266/Caldera... and referred the Tungsten as what the LCD-4 upgrade should have been vs the LCD-5... I have only heard the Tungsten and Susvara at the camjam for a short listen and was impressed for what they were doing on the same chain... The Burson Voyager... check out his review on youtube.. he had the DS and the SS together also...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back