Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 7, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #2,311 of 3,179
Mar 7, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #2,312 of 3,179
Received my SS Tungsten this morning.

Impressions to come.

IMG_5215.jpeg

It’s great to see more headphone are arriving and bring joy! It you post an image, will be great to know when you ordered your headphone, to give us who are still waiting some perspective.

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #2,313 of 3,179
It’s interesting that given the very small supply how slow the publishing of personal reviews will be

Ultimately they can be much more applicable to users since there will be a wider range of dac/amps that may match someone else’s.

I was just wondering, considering the size and breadth of this site, how many people receiving these are members on here? By rights there should be a few a week getting them but even now there’s barely any user reviews. Given the oddness, rarity and hype of these, I was expecting more owners on here.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #2,314 of 3,179
PXL_20240306_231529034.jpg

Just got my pair of DS'es in the mail today, praise be to Ryan! Did anyone else notice the smell they came with, or is that just me? I don't know how to describe it, it's sort of like the smell of a new car, I love it. I can't tell if it's the metal or the Cerakote on the grills or what but it's great.

Oh yeah, and I guess I should say they sound great too lol. Only just got them so still taking them for a spin, but initial impressions are already amazing.

And for those curious, I'm running them from a WANDLA balanced out to a Topping A90D, which isn't ideal for the amp, but they still sound great, although I can see how the lack of power makes them lose a little bit of oomph compared to when I demo'ed them previously. (I also had to bump the volume up on my A90D from 45 to 75 coming from my LCD-X's). I'm currently waiting on a Wells Audio Milo to upgrade my amp and I can't wait to see how it runs these bad boys in comparison to the Topping.
I believe the smell is from the pads. Congratz!

Mar 7, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #2,315 of 3,179
kind of interesting how many review units went to the official reviewers and yet not that many have posted a review... and the excuse is " we didn't want to cause a run on these headphones " ..... makes you wonder if Ryan has asked some of the reviewers to hold back on the reviews as he ramps up.... cause it seems a little crazy for everyone to sit on pins and needles waiting on delivery of their orders and you see some of the reviewers just sitting on the reviews... waiting on a full moon or something ???? ha ha ha

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #2,316 of 3,179
kind of interesting how many review units went to the official reviewers and yet not that many have posted a review... and the excuse is " we didn't want to cause a run on these headphones " ..... makes you wonder if Ryan has asked some of the reviewers to hold back on the reviews as he ramps up.... cause it seems a little crazy for everyone to sit on pins and needles waiting on delivery of their orders and you see some of the reviewers just sitting on the reviews... waiting on a full moon or something ???? ha ha ha
I think Zeos held his review for 3months? Tho that was for general release. Patron users got instant access.

I can kind of understand in theory, but these are not going to be in the minds of the general public. The only people wanting these would want them from the first review so I don’t know how delaying each review would help matters.

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #2,317 of 3,179
I think Zeos held his review for 3months? Tho that was for general release. Patron users got instant access.

I can kind of understand in theory, but these are not going to be in the minds of the general public. The only people wanting these would want them from the first review so I don’t know how delaying each review would help matters.
its just an observation... you would think if a reviewer gets the chance to review these they would release the review... kinda sends a message...

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #2,318 of 3,179
its just an observation... you would think if a reviewer gets the chance to review these they would release the review... kinda sends a message...
A very inconclusive message at best.

Either they don't want to release the review because the headphone is bad and they don't want to talk bad about it.
Or they don't want to release it because it's extremely good and it makes more sense to release the hype Review after the production capacity could be scaled up...

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #2,319 of 3,179
A very inconclusive message at best.

Either they don't want to release the review because the headphone is bad and they don't want to talk bad about it.
Or they don't want to release it because it's extremely good and it makes more sense to release the hype Review after the production capacity could be scaled up...
Well it’s certainly not the former lol.

Since it’s still just Ryan, the scaling I would think would be stock building and pre building what he can.

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #2,321 of 3,179
who knows for sure.... its just strange that the review sets were sent out.. for a review.... and some are sitting on the review....
Are we sure they have had them for a while?

Or it could be, and I’m shooting high here, it could be that if you can release a review and yours is the only one that week or month even your getting monster views no matter how small the channel is.

I dunno, I could be talking crap.

However, while I’m very certain I can power these things to most of their ability, those that have got their order in, I’m pretty certain it’s the biggest blind gamble headphone order ever, which I’m not 100% comfortable with.

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #2,322 of 3,179
I don't think Ryan is asking anyone to hold back reviews, it's a matter of whether or not the reviewer has something to review with. Zeos published his as soon he could when it was available, and I think he even did a preview too.
Other reviewers that I can talk to, are simply waiting for their units to arrive. Sometimes they get lucky like Michael from Director's Garage, who bought the SS and was loaned a DS for review.

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #2,323 of 3,179
who knows for sure.... its just strange that the review sets were sent out.. for a review.... and some are sitting on the review....
There have been a few reviews already of these headphones so I don't think this theory it's applicable that the headphones are bad or not as good as people are saying they're because in the other reviews that have already been release we would've heard something in that regard.

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #2,324 of 3,179
Any “new” discoveries on relatively affordable amp/dac combos that can sufficiently power a SS? $1,500 is already a big amount for me to justify on a headphone purchase, and I know my K5 Pro won’t provide enough voltage, but not looking to drop another $1,500 on source gear…

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #2,325 of 3,179
Any “new” discoveries on relatively affordable amp/dac combos that can sufficiently power a SS? $1,500 is already a big amount for me to justify on a headphone purchase, and I know my K5 Pro won’t provide enough voltage, but not looking to drop another $1,500 on source gear…
Jot will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back