Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 1, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #872 of 3,162
Can a person order a DS Tungsten now? If not, then how soon can one do that, and how long will one have to wait between ordering and receiving the product?

Ordering opens again on Jan 5th at 11am EST.
and then... "Und ein Vergnügen erwarten, ist auch ein Vergnügen"

lot of easter shipments I suppose! :wink:

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #873 of 3,162
I do use Hi-Z mode and I think it probably makes a positive difference but to be honest not entirely sure I can tell from listening to my library and switching back and forth several times.
I have a Tungsten DS with Bliss and I A/Bed Lo-Z and Hi-Z. Could not hear a difference despite being able to change it easily via the knob back and forth. I also tried listening to a whole track with Lo and then with Hi. It felt too subtle but I think Hi-Z is slightly worse. Felt like something was missing. I tried tracks with lots of low end info, and tracks with treble. Could not hear a difference in detail. But my brain feels like hi z is slightly off.

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #874 of 3,162
I have a Tungsten DS with Bliss and I A/Bed Lo-Z and Hi-Z. Could not hear a difference despite being able to change it easily via the knob back and forth. I also tried listening to a whole track with Lo and then with Hi. It felt too subtle but I think Hi-Z is slightly worse. Felt like something was missing. I tried tracks with lots of low end info, and tracks with treble. Could not hear a difference in detail. But my brain feels like hi z is slightly off.
What is your listening volume range with the DS on the Bliss/May? Specifically, what is the loudest you have to go on the volume for your quietest tracks? I often use James- Knuckle Too Far to test headroom.

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #876 of 3,162
I bet the iFi Pro iCan Signature would have enough power as well. That might be an option for me as well.

The ifi Pro iCAN drives the Susvara quite well, so I expect it should drive the Tungsten in somewhat similar fashion? any direct experience for this combo?

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #877 of 3,162
The ifi Pro iCAN drives the Susvara quite well, so I expect it should drive the Tungsten in somewhat similar fashion? any direct experience for this combo?
But the Susvara is only 60 Ohm, I think. However, I can certify that it accepts really "hot" sources, when I had it I used via XLR with a Benchmark DAC3, which outputs at 12V...

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #878 of 3,162
I plan to try my luck this Friday. :fingers_crossed:

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #879 of 3,162

Specs show it outputs 23V @ 600 ohms on balanced. No input on lower impednaces. It is likely a bit lower to protect internal components to whatever current limit they can handle. But I would guess it may be up to the task. Worth a try...

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #880 of 3,162
Yes. Netflix even made a show of me waiting for the tungstens. Apparently it was a huge success.
Yes. But then in true Netflix fashion, just as your show was cresting in popularity, it was suddenly canceled...

...leaving you looking wistful & standing in what looks like an empty swimming pool

Jan 1, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #881 of 3,162
Your amp will have a specific gain, usually quoted in dB, which denotes the factor by which it will increase whatever voltage (line-in signal) is fed into it.

If you need a certain output voltage, it will be a combination of the voltage fed into the amp, and the gain it has (i.e. how much it can "multiply" that).

(one more thing to note is when input voltage is very high, your noise floor and dynamic range may be impacted)
Thank you.

Violectric V222 has +18db gain.
Acc. to online calcs, this equals x8 output voltage.
If a DAC feeds 2V, V222 outputs it as 16V, while 4V will become 32V.
The amp is rated around 20V at 150 Ohms, where the Tungstens are.

Is it the case then that the total output voltage to the Tungstens will be:
2V DAC: 16V+20V=32V?
4V DAC: 32V+20V=52V?

Or are the 20V output at 150 Ohms like a limiting factor and that is the max Tungstens will get if the amp input voltage allows for it?
This way 2V DAC is not pushing to full potential with only 16V amp output, while 12V are not utilized from 32V out of the 4V feed?

Jan 1, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #882 of 3,162
Thank you.

Violectric V222 has +18db gain.
Acc. to online calcs, this equals x8 output voltage.
If a DAC feeds 2V, V222 outputs it as 16V, while 4V will become 32V.
The amp is rated around 20V at 150 Ohms, where the Tungstens are.

Is it the case then that the total output voltage to the Tungstens will be:
2V DAC: 16V+20V=32V?
4V DAC: 32V+20V=52V?

Or are the 20V output at 150 Ohms like a limiting factor and that is the max Tungstens will get if the amp input voltage allows for it?
This way 2V DAC is not pushing to full potential with only 16V amp output, while 12V are not utilized from 32V out of the 4V feed?

Beyond the gain at which input voltage is amplified, your amp will actually be limtied by other factors including its own power supply voltage (if it cannot support that level of voltage it will clip and distort), how much voltage its rails can handle, and also the designers may limit voltage because of how much current the components can handle (depending on load, if too much voltage is allowed, the current may be more than some of the amp components are rated for; or the amp may overheat).

Another way to put it - the amp itself will have limits how much it can/will allow.

(one example I shared earlier in the thread was the V281 which ouputs higher voltage for higher loads, likely because it wants to limit the amount of current that would flow across its components with lower impedance loads - other considerations may exist in other amps per above).

That is why, the best spec one can look at is the max output voltage, or wattage (from which voltage can be calculated), at specific impedances an amp can supply. That would be the actual limit of the amp. Sometimes, given a gain, lower voltage input may not take full advantage of what the amp can offer, and higher voltage input can fully realize its potential.

--> all the above comes with a BIG caveat: I am not en engineer or electrical expert, just a layman. Pls take my inputs with a grain of salt, and happy to be corrected by any communty member with better technical expertise... 🙏

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #883 of 3,162
Must admit I've gotten bit by the Tungsten bug like you all. What an incredible praise this has gotten thus far!

Also, it seems to be the case that my one amp just so happens to be able to drive the voltage hungry phones. I've got the Phonitor XE, which has ±60V rails, a measured 44.5V output from single-ended, and a 22dB gain DIP switch. So an voltage forward amp favouring high impedance phones, like the Violectric V550.
Curious if anyone has auditioned the Tungsten off of the Phonitor?

Would those of you owning the Tungsten recommend the DS more than the SS to me, with my listening tastes being mainly instrumental, soft indie/folk, and singer-songwriter vocal forward music?

Also, just to make certain, there's no way of getting the Modhouse Tungsten shipped from within the EU yet (bespoke retailers taking it in), right? I'll have to factor in some heavy import tax fees in that case.

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #884 of 3,162
Must admit I've gotten bit by the Tungsten bug like you all. What an incredible praise this has gotten thus far!

Also, it seems to be the case that my one amp just so happens to be able to drive the voltage hungry phones. I've got the Phonitor XE, which has ±60V rails, a measured 44.5V output from single-ended, and a 22dB gain DIP switch. So an voltage forward amp favouring high impedance phones, like the Violectric V550.
Curious if anyone has auditioned the Tungsten off of the Phonitor?

Would those of you owning the Tungsten recommend the DS more than the SS to me, with my listening tastes being mainly instrumental, soft indie/folk, and singer-songwriter vocal forward music?

Also, just to make certain, there's no way of getting the Modhouse Tungsten shipped from within the EU yet (bespoke retailers taking it in), right? I'll have to factor in some heavy import tax fees in that case.
You will never be able to have the tungsten shipped from within the EU. It’s a small business in the US run by one guy and his family (I guess).
Contact him about the import to your country tho, so he can label it (maybe to your advantage) properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back