Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Dec 6, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #601 of 2,898
Not sure how much you want to spend on an Amp but at the Dallas Camjam, Bloom Audio had brought with them the new Burson Soloist Voyager that they had the Susvara plugged into it... so I asked Mimic Audio if I could borrow one of his Tungsten Headphones to go and A/B the Tungsten with the Susvara.... and thats when I knew I had to order a pair of the Tungstens... I'm sure bloom audio would make someone a deal on the Voyager as Burson has a special price on it now with upgrated power modules and their new opamps for free upgrade.... if you go to the Burson website they also have several different models they are closing out for some really nice discounts.... there are several options of DAC/Amps that will match with the Tungsten available also....

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #602 of 2,898
To people that own one of these phones, can you speak to their build quality. Someone in a review claimed that by and large the build quality is good they do tend to have somewhat of a DIY look about them, while somebody else described the phones build as rugged which to me says potentially slightly rough or uneven. That steel band on top for example, to me looks like it will scratch very easily and not last in good condition for too long. Let me make myself clear, I have not seen or touched these myself and am going by images posted here and elsewhere and by reviewers opinions only.
this was my experience... when you first pick up the Tungsten its obvious that they are 3d printed... not in a bad way but you know its not a smooth molded design... the texture is not smooth but its OK to the touch... everything feels more industrial kinda way, and thats not bad, just different... I was planning on taking the headband off and get some carbon fibre wrap material and wrapping the headband so it puts a little bit of bling on the headphones with a carbon fibre headband... that would look great and protection too.. could be a fun headphone to MOD... chrome screws, carbon fiber headband... the grill can be made to look how ever you want... its a cool headphone right out of the box and has the ability to be modded for some extra bling too... :xf_cool: oh... and it sounds fine too

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #603 of 2,898
The dac was the reason I got the ef400. Wanted to dip my toes into R2r without to much of an investment bought it used from the Hifiman store when they had them on sale for 300.
Nice.. I actually had no idea how good the DAC would be. I ended up comparing it against some higher tier items like the DAC on the Burson Conductor 3XR, the Bifrost 2/64, Topping D90, and some other Topping DX variants. In the end I found the EF400 to be the most enjoyable DAC for me. It was a big surprise especially when I felt that it drastically outperformed the bifrost 2/64 which is another R2R DAC that goes for almost 3x the price (albeit it does lack some input options if you require more versatility). I definitely want to try the EF600, and Serenade to see if those may be even better. I also wonder how the EF600/Serenade Hifiman DAC/Amps perform with the Tungsten as well (if anyone has tested, please speak up! lol).

Dec 7, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #605 of 2,898
Dec 8, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #608 of 2,898
Tungstens changed my whole audio world. They are my #1 favorite and I've gone through every planar in the game, with Susvara not far behind and occasionally preferred. Amp pairing can take some experimentation but they do really well with the $400 for two, 60 pounds of Thomann S150 T.amp, a little dirtier sound than the AHB2 but the best bass punch and dynamics. Certainly nobody should be excluded from buying these based on "amps costing too much" as that's more of a Susvara problem.
Private measurements of these show that they naturally adhere to the Harman curve a little better than Susvara, pretty close to headphones that are using tuning devices of all sorts to get there. As with sus and audeze there's nothing in front or behind the driver other than grille fabric...

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #609 of 2,898
just curious as this question will come up if I'm the one asking or not.... the question is... how many here plan on using the Tungsten with EQ/DSP and if so can we share the results

Dec 9, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #610 of 2,898
just curious as this question will come up if I'm the one asking or not.... the question is... how many here plan on using the Tungsten with EQ/DSP and if so can we share the results
I mean I EQ almost all of my headphones and depending on how the tungsten sound (DS) I’ll probably use some light EQ on them

Dec 9, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #614 of 2,898
I'm wondering if its actually 12 weeks delivery or are they just saying within 12 weeks?? would be interesting to know order dates and delivery dates for these...
Yeah would be nice to know. I ordered mine on 10.11. (November the 10th that is) and I can’t wait for them to arrive…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back