Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Nov 27, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #586 of 2,970
If this is true to most people’s ears, then is it possible to find a better value out there than SGD1 + SGP1 + Tungsten at that price? For 3k USD total it doesn’t look like there is a way to build a better sounding headphone+dac+amp combo!
The SGP1 has transparent and clean sound. Right now I'm using Vali2++ with 7062 PW tube as a pre to the SGP1. The source is Mojo2 :) Yes, I'm getting a better DAC soon, but today I'm 100% happy with this sound.

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #587 of 2,970
The SGP1 has transparent and clean sound. Right now I'm using Vali2++ with 7062 PW tube as a pre to the SGP1. The source is Mojo2 :) Yes, I'm getting a better DAC soon, but today I'm 100% happy with this sound.
The Mojo 2 is already a great source, I don’t think you NEED a better one. Unless you watch movies/videos and the latency on chord products bothers you, though not sure how much of an issue that is with the mojo 2.

That being said, if you WANT a better source, more power to you! I really like the SGD-1 personally.

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #588 of 2,970
I think my plan for now is to wait to see if my Element amp is good enough and then go from there if it isn't. Not looking to spend money if I don't have to, and the vast majority of suggested amps here are $1,000+.

I did see that someone mentioned sending Ryan a Schiit Midgard. Do we know if anything came of that?

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #589 of 2,970
I think my plan for now is to wait to see if my Element amp is good enough and then go from there if it isn't. Not looking to spend money if I don't have to, and the vast majority of suggested amps here are $1,000+.

I did see that someone mentioned sending Ryan a Schiit Midgard. Do we know if anything came of that?
I had mine shipped directly to him. It doesn't have a ton of extra headroom. According to Ryan he was at about 75% on the dial vs something like the Jotunheim 2 where it would be at 50%. Midgard is probably enough for most unless you do a lot of EQ or like to listen very loud. Body and bass impact is better on the Jotunheim 2 but the staging is a bit better on Midgard. Those bass and staging impressions were from memory though, he doesn't have Jotunheim 2 in the stable currently.

Nov 28, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #591 of 2,970
Why not get a A70 pro? Can be used with the element as a DAC, it’s my current setup in preparation for the tungsten lol

Nov 28, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #592 of 2,970
Why not get a A70 pro? Can be used with the element as a DAC, it’s my current setup in preparation for the tungsten lol
I have the Element 2 Amp and my chain is DAC -> analog EQ -> Stax amp with a parallel out to the Element amp so that wouldn't be the best option unless I just get it to replace the JDS amp.

Dec 6, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #594 of 2,970
To people that own one of these phones, can you speak to their build quality. Someone in a review claimed, that by and large the build quality is good although they do tend to have somewhat of a DIY look about them, while somebody else described the phones build quality as rugged which to me says potentially slightly rough or uneven. That steel band on top for example, to me looks like it will scratch very easily and not last in good condition for too long. Let me make myself clear, I have not seen or touched these myself and I am going by images posted here and elsewhere and by reviewers opinions only.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #595 of 2,970
Has anyone tried the Tungsten Double sided with the Hifiman EF400?
I think that has to be my favorite pairing with it so far.
I have tried with the HA-3A, Eufonika H5, Singxer SA-1.
Maxed out the Eufonika pushing it to distortion.
Singxer SA-1 Maxed out.
I thought is sounded okay on the HA-3A.
I think the Hifiman EF400 is my favorite pairing with it so far and has plenty of headroom.

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #596 of 2,970
Has anyone tried the Tungsten Double sided with the Hifiman EF400?
I think that has to be my favorite pairing with it so far.
I have tried with the HA-3A, Eufonika H5, Singxer SA-1.
Maxed out the Eufonika pushing it to distortion.
Singxer SA-1 Maxed out.
I thought is sounded okay on the HA-3A.
I think the Hifiman EF400 is my favorite pairing with it so far and has plenty of headroom.
Wow you suck! I had given up on the Tungsten because I don't believe my Schiit Lyr+ has enough juice for it but also have an EF400 that I'm running as a DAC. I was wondering if it might have enough power for it to actually sound good. Now after reading your comment, I may need to find a way to shift my budget toward a pair of Tungsten.

Have you by chance tried the SS vs DS version? I'm quite torn between the two thinking that I may slightly prefer the SS version due to a slight U curve. I actually enjoy a slight bass emphasis and perhaps a slight increase to the treble as well. I believe the DS is supposed to sound dead neutral?

Any thoughts from anyone who's heard both on what your take is? Is the DS worth shelling the extra $500 for?

My setup is the EF400 DAC/Amp + Lyr+ amp from Schiit.

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #597 of 2,970
To people that own one of these phones, can you speak to their build quality. Someone in a review claimed that by and large the build quality is good they do tend to have somewhat of a DIY look about them, while somebody else described the phones build as rugged which to me says potentially slightly rough or uneven. That steel band on top for example, to me looks like it will scratch very easily and not last in good condition for too long. Let me make myself clear, I have not seen or touched these myself and am going by images posted here and elsewhere and by reviewers opinions only.
The build quality feels solid. They do feel like they are built very well, Where you would grab onto the headphones they have more of a texture. The steel band is smooth. Everything on the headphones feels very uniformed. I have bought other headphones from smaller shops that don't feel nearly as well made as these and would never buy from those shops again. I am very careful with my headphones and when they are not in use they go back in their case. I don't have concerns about the quality of these and if the headband did get scratched they seem easy enough to reach out and get a new band if they did get banged up and swap out the headband.

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #598 of 2,970
Wow you suck! I had given up on the Tungsten because I don't believe my Schiit Lyr+ has enough juice for it but also have an EF400 that I'm running as a DAC. I was wondering if it might have enough power for it to actually sound good. Now after reading your comment, I may need to find a way to shift my budget toward a pair of Tungsten.

Have you by chance tried the SS vs DS version? I'm quite torn between the two thinking that I may slightly prefer the SS version due to a slight U curve. I actually enjoy a slight bass emphasis and perhaps a slight increase to the treble as well. I believe the DS is supposed to sound dead neutral?

Any thoughts from anyone who's heard both on what your take is? Is the DS worth shelling the extra $500 for?

My setup is the EF400 DAC/Amp + Lyr+ amp from Schiit.
I haven't heard the single sided only the double sided. I actually quite like the bass on the double sided.
I've hated the amp on the EF400 until I tried the tungstens with them. I have held off on it till this morning because I have hated everything else I have heard on the amp.
The Hybrid pads will definitely give them more of that bass. I'd love to see Ryan release the Caldera Thick pads for it.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #599 of 2,970
I haven't heard the single sided only the double sided. I actually quite like the bass on the double sided.
I've hated the amp on the EF400 until I tried the tungstens with them. I have held off on it till this morning because I have hated everything else I have heard on the amp.
The Hybrid pads will definitely give them more of that bass. I'd love to see Ryan release the Caldera Thick pads for it.
Interesting. I actually love the EF400 amp... I particularly really enjoy using it as a DAC to be honest and very rarely use it as an amp (I primarily prefer my Lyr+ for that) but it would be a far far stretch for me to say I hate the amp on the EF400. I feel it sounds very good with everything I plug into it (and perhaps even better than the Lyr+ if I'm not using tube mode as well). Your post gives me allot of hope however. I am going to put the Tungsten at the top of my "buy" list and will try to shift my collection/funds towards being able to buy a pair. So far, I think I am leaning towards the SS version based from what I've read although I really wish I could hear both side by side. If anyone wants to comment on a comparison (for those who were fortunate enough to hear both FINAL productions), I'd appreciate it. I do plan on going through the 40 pages of this forum again to hopefully snag any 1 or 2 general impressions I may have missed as well.

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #600 of 2,970
Interesting. I actually love the EF400 amp... I particularly really enjoy using it as a DAC to be honest and very rarely use it as an amp (I primarily prefer my Lyr+ for that) but it would be a far far stretch for me to say I hate the amp on the EF400. I feel it sounds very good with everything I plug into it (and perhaps even better than the Lyr+ if I'm not using tube mode as well). Your post gives me allot of hope however. I am going to put the Tungsten at the top of my "buy" list and will try to shift my collection/funds towards being able to buy a pair. So far, I think I am leaning towards the SS version based from what I've read although I really wish I could hear both side by side. If anyone wants to comment on a comparison (for those who were fortunate enough to hear both FINAL productions), I'd appreciate it. I do plan on going through the 40 pages of this forum again to hopefully snag any 1 or 2 general impressions I may have missed as well.
The dac was the reason I got the ef400. Wanted to dip my toes into R2r without to much of an investment bought it used from the Hifiman store when they had them on sale for 300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back